Remove Advertisements

[H] Nexus: Guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Nexus: Guide

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:59 am

Since we got some rather surprising wipes last night in the Heroics, going to post up a thread on each one as I or someone hits it, so we can get the forum started, trying to provide some useful tips for the instance as a whole. Everything is from the perspective of a paladin tank, but will try to be as generic on the rest as possible.

The Nexus doesn't change a lot from its non heroic version.

Best route through it seems to be to head left, taking the elite, and again left into the small area with frozen troops and the first boss. From there head through and across the two platforms, jumping into the arcane adds (1 big + wraiths) allows you to skip one pull for a faster run, then up onto the 2nd boss area, coming back jump down and head towards the group of dragonkin attacking a portal to the north, this allows you to skip trash. Once inside, you will need to clear the whole pretty white area, you can skip the giant trees by hugging the planters, none are required kills, however can be killed without a healer by a tank + 3 dps (120,000 health), the patrols are around 63,000 health for the casters, the centaurs heal and cast tranquility (interrupt this), the treekin inflict a debuff that is mostly ignorable, attempt to stun the centaurs.

Pulls with a 20,000 health, 20,000 armour tank (520 defense at the time) could be done 3 at a time easily, with the major worry being the packs with the dogs (the pack has an ice trap). The fourth could likely be attempted however I didn't try it. None of the pulls have LoS requirements and are fully ccable (poly, sap, repentence, hex, traps).

Our setup was:
Paladin Tank: 20k health, 20k armour, 520 defense, crushable by 10%
Paladin Healer: ?
Rogue: ~830 dps
Mage: ~ 920 dps
Hunter: ~ 1200dps
Total party dps over the instance was 4310, which is probably quite low.

Bosses

Commander Komurug / Commander X (Varies by Alliance / Horde)
- Charges every 45s-60s ish, hits for around 8k on plate (Paladin Healer), 8-25 yard range
- Whirwind every 60s ish, hits for around 11k on 20,000 armour (one shots anyone not in plate basically), 20k to a leather rogue basically
- 3-5.5k normal hits on 20,000 armour
- Fears every 60s or so
- 330,000 health roughly
- Comes with 2 priest healers, around 63,000 health, no serious damage

Pull the boss himself, and take him back to the entrance where you entered the room (getting out of the whirlwind is near impossible, so just pop trinkets or consumables as needed to get through it). One of the Priests should be controlled, and the other killed (both if you can manage it, or if you can control both). The fight then is very simple. Melee need to move out from the whirlwind, and be outside charge range (or inside) allowing a plate wearer to take it or no one if you are sufficiently out. The fear can overlap with the whirlwind / charge cooldowns, and this is the most dangerous part as it moves the danger area, your healer and suchlike need to remember to move out of the whirlwind area, and ensure that a plate equivalent class can take the charge.

Grand Magus Telestra
- Fireball / Frostbolt / Arcane Blast type attacks, 3-4k damage, doesn't always target highest aggro
- Fireblast, 8yard AoE centered on target, always the highest aggro
- Time stop - short duration incapacity - seems unresistable
- Frost Nova - short duration movement stop - resistable
- Freeze - Short duration CC, breaks on damage - resistable
- uses the same annoying move + throw technique, threat can be built during this, falling damage and repositioning required
- 300,000 ish health, adds have about 120,000

Splits into 3 separate forms twice during the fight, once before 50% and once after.
- Frost form throws frostbolts / blizzard
- Arcance form arcane blasts
- Fire form throws Fireballs / fireblasts
- Time stop continues while this phase is up
- Freeze can occur while this form is up

Pull the boss herself, and tank it like the Demon form of Leotheras the blind, stand at maximum range with the melee spread behind her at maximum range to ensure the fireblast hits only the tank. DPS down till she splits. Best plan is to control (vulnerable to traps, polymorph, and can be stunlocked) as many as possible, typically control the frost add as she restricts movement, the first add seems to do the most damage. You do not need to tank all 3, tank 2 and allow the DPS to take a third (or 1 and 1 if you have a control) to reduce the insta-gib capability. Once she returns to a single form DPS her as normal, watching position and repeat the split forms technique, there is apparently some use of two random abilities (her column in the middle gains two of the aspects), however I have not seen this affect the fight.

Anomalus
- 300,000 ish health
- Arcane damage + melee (continual 300-3k arcane damage + 3000 ish melee on 20,000 armour)
- Spawns portals throughout fights
- Becomes invulnerable and spawns a portal (or 2), the portal must be killed before he becomes killable again.

Tactic is identical to that of the normal version, stand and dps, zerging him until he becomes invulnerable and spawns a portal, at all times you must DPS down the portals as the damage becomes hard to heal through. The fight should not be any challenge if you have the DPS to down portals (25,000 health roughly), it is important to get as much dps on the portals as they spawn, if the boss is invulnerable even the tank should dps the portals, when the boss is up move close to a portal to allow Hammer of the Righteous and other multi-target effects to affect both.

Ormorok the Tree-Shaper
- 350,000 ish health
- Minor tank damage (3-4k on 20,000 armour)
- 4 spines causing initial minor damage when they popup and falling damage, these do not spawn at 90 degree intervals, and can be 4 on one side, or perfectly spread, you need to move
- Enrage at 20% give or take, deals increased damage

As with normal, the plan is to zerg the boss taking account of movement to avoid the spines. When he enrages pop the shieldwall equivalent to give the healer some breathing room and continue to DPS. This boss is no harder on heroic other than the spines not being as predictable.

Keristrasza
- 400,000 ish health
- Crystaline Breath - frost damage - resistable
- Crystalise - freezes whole party in place - resistable
- Hits for 3,000 ish on 20,000 armour
- Debuff if you don't move increasing frost damage.

This boss is interesting, the cystalise hitting the entire group is hard on a Paladin Healer (seems ideally suited to mass dispel). Plan is essentially as the normal version, position the group around, and jump as often as possible (or movement of any kind), when the crystalise hits, sacred shield (or damage reduction ability) yourself, and begin to assist in dispelling these, they can resist your cleanse / dispel. It is far more important to remove the debuff than to continue to build threat. Other than that, minor damage to the raid continuously, and fairly major tank damage throughout the fight.

Best technique is to simply keep jumping, you don't lose anything by doing so, and failure to do so indicates you are frozen (saves you watching timers and suchlike if you are new here), cleanse yourself, and work down the DPS.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Chunes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 am

I managed to finish this last night and here's my thoughts.

The Frozen Commander "boss"

We cleared up to his pack, aggroed and dragged him more or less back to the doorway much like you said. We had two mages and a rogue for DPS and the rogue died A LOT before we figured out the nature of the commander's WW. It is actually avoidable, even for a tank, but the margin for error is tiny. The commander will start to spin and you have, i shit you not, about a half second to react, otherwise you will be eating a WW. Solution? Just drag him back and forth in a line along one of the walls of the area where you tank him. If you are walking backwards while tanking, he will stop to WW and you will be safely out of range by the time the attack actually happens. It's best to form sort of a triangle, with your ranged at one point, and you dragging the commander between the other two so that nobody gets charged. We CC'ed his adds, but groups lacking CC will likely find it helpful to kill them first to prevent heals to the boss. If your group is melee heavy, you can have the melee take them down first i suppose.

The Magistrix
We eventually resorted to CC'ing all the adds but 1 and just killing them one at a time. Not every group will have the luxury of 2x mages, but it cannot be overstated how much quality CC helps on this encounter. Really the thing that killed our group most times was the blizzard ticking for 1.6k. It has a massive radius and is hard to avoid most times. As Nin said, stuns, interrupts, CC. Use them all.

Anomolous
nothing to add, kill the portals and try to stay on top of adds whilst zerging the boss.

The Tree Shaper
nothing to add, he's easily the easiest boss in the place

Keristeraza
Only 1 thing to add, Having a hunter to tranquilize her soft enrage is almost 100% mandatory at this gear level. I don't recall the %, but she hits a 2minute soft enrage which effectively doubles her melee damage. I was taking 4-5k regular hits, those turned into 11k melee hits for the duration of the enrage. We did not have a hunter in our group so it was more a matter of Bubblewall + Hydross Trinket + Halls of Lightning Trinket + Pray once she went crazy.

I actually died at about 5 or 6% but the group was able to take her down still, so i won't say a hunter is totally required, but it will save you lots of headache if you do bring one.
Chunes

Postby Senador » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:26 am

Did this last night.

A few other notes:

The trash packs up to The Tree Shaper, the treants have a "Strike" that does 6k arcane damage, and if you aren't careful can cause a quick spike that your healer might not expect, especially since there are two of them in the packs.

For the tree shaper himself, its probably a good idea to shield wall through his enrage. I started taking 9k normal hits then.

For the Magistrix, you can also fear the adds, so it's another form of CC.

For Keristrasza, if you can't get rid of the enrage, shield wall it, and you might still die due to the burst. I died at like 6%, but the DPS managed to finish the job shortly after. The achievement for this boss is really easy to get though, at least!
Senador

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 am

Shield wall is shorter than both enrages, I blew mine on the Tree shapers, but it went on till the end of the fight, its only really useful for the transition from meh to zomg damage.

Will update the first post tonight.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Ursula » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:04 am

Easiest Heroic I've done so far. Less than thirty minutes.
Ursula

Postby DragonBlade » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Wow I miss the commander during my run. I took the right path first and went counter clockwise but avoided the frozen soldiers. Not a difficult heroic :)
DragonBlade

Postby Rolfson » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:56 am

the last boss continually killed me, I'm having trouble tanking her through the enrage here with constant 8k+ hits. Any suggestions besides tranq shotting or just getting more avoidance to get through this? (97% avoidance w/ holy shield up). I'm not really sure if it was just me taking too much damage or a undergeared healer, but assuming the worst...what can I do?
Rolfson

Postby oldboyz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:15 am

Rolfson : last boss'enrage act as a gear check. My last exeprience is near yours

i went there with 20.500pv --> we wiped 5time during the enrage period
i guess our group miss a warrior/priest buff (even my palheal didnt had king),

each time my log was telling me i was dying with very few over-dommage (hit were 10.600 for me, so*2 is 21.200 --> 700 too much for me)
and my bublewall was not long enought in regard of our dps

i felt i needed to be able to take at least 2 consecutive hit (assuming no unlucky crit) and still be alive in order to buy enought time for the incoming heal

we stopped, i went to the bank, gemmed my new helm +41stam (dropped during this run), re-gemmed a temporary green with another +41stam (instead of a planned +def), took some potion&food. my HP moved up
while our rogue upgraded with a new heroic burst trinket

we killed this damn bitch. (she died while i was left with 40hp)
oldboyz

Postby Chanticleer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 am

Pro tip: Make sure you and your healer are aware of the enrages. even at >25khp/armor prebuff these hurt and can lead to death. Pop your bubble, trinket, whatever you may have at your disposal.
Chanticleer

Postby Lightbreak » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 am

My apologies if this has been mentioned.

The Magistrix

In my runs, which are usually low on cc, we focus the Arcane image first. She casts the time stop and a single or multiple polly that can cause serious isssues.

Keristeraza

When she does her frost nova type ability that freezes everyone in your party it can easily be removed by hand of freedom. The cool is short enough for every other nova and beats getting your first cleanse resisted.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby TheBaldGuy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Hit the Magistrix last night with a PUG. Wiped when she hit MT (me) AND the healer with "critter". Having your tank and healer polymorphed, at the same time, really sucks. So do be on the lookout for that. If this is one of the "random abilities" mentioned, here is a reference to it affecting the fight.
TheBaldGuy

Postby DanimalEQ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 am

Just wondering, anyone know if a rogue's Anesthetic Poison II can remove the enrage from Keristeraza as well?

Assuming yes, but wondering if anyone has confirmation of this.
DanimalEQ

Bubblewall?

Postby tollenral » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 am

Had a really bad time with this last night, wipefest on Keristrasza. Had a pally healer, which sounds like is less than ideal. However, I feel like I should be able to deal with this.
This is sad to admit, but I need some clarification on the "bubblewall" references. I've always been VERY averse to any kind of bubble on myself, for threat concerns. I just plain don't use those. Set me straight - how can/should I be using a bubble in a situation like this?
tollenral

Re: Bubblewall?

Postby TheBaldGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:42 am

tollenral wrote:Had a really bad time with this last night, wipefest on Keristrasza. Had a pally healer, which sounds like is less than ideal. However, I feel like I should be able to deal with this.
This is sad to admit, but I need some clarification on the "bubblewall" references. I've always been VERY averse to any kind of bubble on myself, for threat concerns. I just plain don't use those. Set me straight - how can/should I be using a bubble in a situation like this?

"Bubbewall" is using Divine Protection, not Shield. It does not drop you as the big threat it "merely" reduces incoming damage by 50%. So long as you keep attacking, all is well. I even used it an Keristraza when she enrages. In fact, I pretty much see her enrage and pop it. If I have a good healer and am topped off I'll just slip it into my rotation, otherwise I break rotation for it.

Also, if you drop below 35% Ardent defender will combine with it giving your healer hopefully plenty of time to bring you back up. If you have a slow healer (i.e. pugging) and Ardent Defender is announced via the tankadin2 plugin you can tell your healer that that announcement is a "you are about to wipe" warning. Maybe add "heal the tank or wipe" to the announce text. ;)

The single thing to not fail at doing is to keep moving on Keristraza. If those dots stack up you will die. If for some reason you are not jumping, Hand of Freedom (and maybe a cleanse for good measure at that point) and keep jumping. I've done it easily w/a pally healer. Note that if you have a pally healer, I highly recommend Sacred Shield on yourself in this fight. Once every 30 seconds or so. With this on, and a good block value she does not hit that hard when you block, and still not terribly hard when you don't. Of course, Sacred Shield, Divine Protection, Holy Shield, and a good block value make her enrage much easier to live through.

But primarily remember: "Keristraza makes you - jump jump!"
TheBaldGuy

Postby tollenral » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks BaldGuy - good stuff! Officially adding DivProt as a panic button! I also haven't really tinkered with Sacred Shield, and I definitely should. You know, old dog/new trick...
tollenral

Next

Return to General Strats