Remove Advertisements

[10] Off-Tank Spec

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Off-Tank Spec

Postby scritti » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:49 am

We are doing our first Naxx run tomorrow night. We have a well geared Warrior MT and a hybrid specced pally tank off-tank.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0130000000

Will she be able to handle the off-tanking role in Naxx with this build? We are using her as an Off-tank and a replenisher. She will go total prot if need be but we prefer this as it fills two roles. Her gear is just okay, nothing great but I believe she hits the cap.

We will be doing the spider wing first.

Thanks
scritti

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Bring them as ret or prot, they will be disappointing at both roles with that spec.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby scritti » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 pm

So off-tanks in Naxx have to be tanking specced? I had read a blue post where they said that wasn't the intention but most raids I see in there have two pure tanks.

Thanks
scritti

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:43 pm

I think the blue post you're remembering is the one where they said they wanted non tank specced war/dk/pal/druid to be able to tank 5 mans. And even then, I am certain they meant normal mode, not even heroic. I mean, I could tank some heroics in my tanking gear as Ret right now, but it would be a pain in the ass. I could probably tank most bosses in Naxx as Ret right now, but it would be full on pointless.

It's just better to have 2 real tanks. Besides, it's not as if tanks don't do damage now. Me and the Warrior I run Naxx 10 with are both pulling close to 2k DPS for the entire runs.
Ashmadai

Postby omnomlets » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm trying to think of an encounter where a ret paladin (in full tanking gear, 540 defense and all that) wouldn't be able to fill the offtank role and I can't as far as the 10-man is concerned. Only iffy one would be patchwerk maybe? We use DPS gear on our OT for Grobb and Gluth (he's a DK so he can IBF nearly every swap) and a single tank on KT, not to mention Noth. A Ret shouldn't have any problem on dead side gothik either, assuming live side paces themselves.
omnomlets

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 am

Just ran Naxx 10 today as an OT with a feral druid main tank... took about 2 hours 15 min... add to that the fact that we ran the last wing and saph/KT with only 9 people... also got the patchwerk 3 min achievement...

honestly - bring him full prot... it's a much better choice... if he's bored... save some time and have the tanks "leapfrog" pulls (whichever tank's mob dies first... go pull the next group) just make sure the healers are up for this...and you only do it where it makes sense to do...

he will do just fine for DPS... and most boss fights... he will have something to do anyways...

hope your run goes well!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby scritti » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 am

Thanks for all the very useful replies everyone.
scritti

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon