Struggling with Stamina

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Struggling with Stamina

Postby CDnight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:53 am

I am some what confused how some PP (Protection Paladin) are getting up to 22k+ hp while I am struggling with just over 17k at level 80 unbuffed.

Am trying to balance my gear with Def, HR, Block and Stam in that order. I know all the requirements stats and their caps but for some reason my HP just falls below what I was expecting at level 80.

I was only at level cap back in BC about 2/3 weeks before the release so did not have much time to gear up.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... usadanight

I link my armory but as you can see I am in dps gear so my def stats are all wrong, but I can tell you the following from what I can remember.

Def = 510
HR = 120
Block = can’t remember
Stam = 17100 or so
Crit chance = 20+%

Also looking at my talent setup, this might not be the ideal setup to be the main tank, which I have to say I am not but a backup tank with for my guild.

At the moment, I am running the normal instances with pug groups while I wait for my guild to get to 80. So far I have had no problem with aggro or been kept alive.

My questions are

1:Should I work on my stam and leave the rest of my stats for the moment, and how?
2:Respec Ret, get a nice 2h mace and stay ret for the guild
4:Or just stay the way I am and hope the gears will drop for me as I do more pug instances

Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks

CDNight
CDnight

Postby supai » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 am

Do normal instances to gear up a bit then do heroics to get some gear, get some gear made and get some gear from badges and stop worrying. It is just a normal flow of events. Do A then B then C. Worrying about C isn't going to make A or B happen any differently

This is the process I followed:
Is an item available from badges: Yes/No
Is an item available from crafting: Yes/No
Is an item available from a drop: Yes/No

If I can get an item as a drop I will try to get it as a drop rather than buy it from badges. If I can make an item I will rather make it than buy it from badges. If there is no other way I will buy it

E.g. chest from badges
E.g. shield from crafting
E.g. belt from drop

There I was able to get 3 items in a very short time.

If you want stamina go for the blacksmithing items. Max stam, min anything else
supai

Postby Ilara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:22 am

there are plenty of threads in the gear section that will assist you. I suggest having a look through some of them. Theres some with a listing of gear you can get too and where to get it.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 am

To make sure you get the most with any gear you have, a few things you should use if you don't already:
-Argent Crusade head enchant, 32 Stamina
-Frosthide Leg Armor, 55 Stamina
-Greater Fortitude enchant on your boots, 22 Stamina
-24 Stam enchant on your rings
-Eternal Belt Buckle, with a 24 Stam gem

Make sure all your gems are Rare quality, 24 stam in blue slots instead of 18; a lot of people stick to the cheap gems and miss out on a lot of stats.

I'm slightly advantaged because I'm JC/BS (2x41 Stam gems, and 2x24 Stam in extra sockets), but it seems pretty easy to get 20k+ health even with def enchants in all the slots you can (wrists, chest, shield, cloak). If anything, it might just mean you still have some old gear that needs replacing - BS crafted are good starter pieces (Saronite Bracers/Belt, Daunting Gloves/Legs).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby amh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:35 am

I´d start off with the BS-stuff, then move on to these factions, in this order. Doesn´t take long at all :)

Crafted BS-stuff, use these pieces to fill in for the missing rep-items:
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4.4&filte ... rv=0:0:0:0

Wyrmrest to honored for:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44188 - cloak

Argent Crusade to honored for:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44240 - pants

Wyrmrest to revered for:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44198 - chest-piece
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44201 - boots

Argent Crusade revered for:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44150 - arcanum
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: Struggling with Stamina

Postby degre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:47 am

CDnight wrote:1:Should I work on my stam and leave the rest of my stats for the moment, and how?
4:Or just stay the way I am and hope the gears will drop for me as I do more pug instances

1: You have poor stamina and lack defense, means that your gear sucks, you badly need major upgrades.
Do as suggested by Alara, go to the gear forum and have a look for upgrades. I'd suggest you to carry on with normal instances, you'll implode in heroics.

2: Surely a solution, point is, what your guild needs? A tank or a dps?

3: You don't like this awesome number? :(

4: Stay the way you are is wrong. Your spec is a wrong protlol dps... Nice idea to start for offtanking (get off reckoning!), completely wrong for MT.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby CDnight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I will look into getting the BS gear to start of with been that they are easier to obtain. Then I will start working on the rep gears.

Thanks again

CDNight
CDnight

Postby Barathorn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:59 am

For getting to where you need to be defense rating wise this guide is good.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... sc&start=0

Once you are in the right area defense wise you can jiggery pokery your stam and avoidance around to get a balance you are happy with.

Hope that helps,

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby CDnight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 am

degre wrote:
CDnight wrote:1:Should I work on my stam and leave the rest of my stats for the moment, and how?

1: You have poor stamina and lack defense, means that your gear sucks, you badly need major upgrades.
Do as suggested by Alara, go to the gear forum and have a look for upgrades. I'd suggest you to carry on with normal instances, you'll implode in heroics.

2: Surely a solution, point is, what your guild needs? A tank or a dps?

3: You don't like this awesome number? :(

4: Stay the way you are is wrong. Your spec is a wrong protlol dps... Nice idea to start for offtanking (get off reckoning!), completely wrong for MT.

First of all, I never said I wanted to do heroics at list not yet, nor did I say I want to be the main tank in my guild.

As for what my guild needs right now is up in there air since only 3 of use are at 80 while the others are also unsure what they will be once the hit 80. All mostly playing DK now.

I do like the Tank/DPS roll and Off Tanks that is why I have gone with this spec and I have to say it really works well for me right now I no problem running normal instance, BG, and questing and even soloing the first 2 bosses in right of blood at level 77.

Right now I can’t go ret because I don’t have a good 2h weapon to up my DPS. I made a mistake taking the 1h mace after doing ring of blood rather than the axe or I would have gone ret.

Never the less thanks for the advice, but please next time, try to be less rude with the suck word.
CDnight

Postby Torquemada » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 am

The crafted BS gear(tempered saronite and the daunted gloves/legs) are swimming in def and stam, and you trade block and avoidance for it.

It was worth it to me to get uncritable, then work on the rep gear, all the while enchanting items if they're a decent upgrade.

As you hit the def cap you can use extra gem slots for stam, but as you start to move into epic gear you start playing the defense cap game you may have to change gems to keep 540. It's a very familiar dance for those who played the "Am I uncrushable?" Game in TBC.
Torquemada

Postby degre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 am

CDnight wrote:First of all, I never said I wanted to do heroics at list not yet, nor did I say I want to be the main tank in my guild.

Never the less thanks for the advice, but please next time, try to be less rude with the suck word.

Relax.

I might have avoided saying that your gear sucks, but you have indeed a poor tanking gear at lvl 80, that is a fact. I might have told you in a much nicer way, ok, but that doesnt change that you dont have to be picky about stamina issues, you need to gear up decently with lvl80 stuff, doing that will solve your stamina issue, cause a couple of stamina enchants are to you like a wee in the sea.

As for what my guild needs right now is up in there air since only 3 of use are at 80 while the others are also unsure what they will be once the hit 80. All mostly playing DK now.

Then we can offer no avice on weither you should stay prot or go retri. If for the guild makes no difference, choose the spec you like more.
You say that you enjoy offtanking, then why not stay prot?

I do like the Tank/DPS roll and Off Tanks that is why I have gone with this spec and I have to say it really works well for me right now I no problem running normal instance, BG, and questing and even soloing the first 2 bosses in right of blood at level 77.

I have no problem do it either, does that makes my spec equal or any better? I'll not say so. I merely pointed out that, for tanking, you better spend your point in something else that 5/5 reckoning.
Like it, dont like, that's my own opinion, and you asked for advice.

Right now I can’t go ret because I don’t have a good 2h weapon to up my DPS. I made a mistake taking the 1h mace after doing ring of blood rather than the axe or I would have gone ret.

Right now you could do whatever you like, because as you miss the 2hander for ret, you miss the gear for prot.
Just pick your choice and follow that path to the end.
degre

Postby maurok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:18 am

If you are concerned about stamina and defense, try switching almost ALL your gear (shield and libram are ok). you are using retribution plate, so if it is what you want, you shouldn´t complain about your health being low...
with only crafted and couple 74~78 quest gear you should be able to tank the easy heroics... as you are right now, you´d barely handle heroic trash =/

PS - I like number 3 too =[
maurok

Postby Torquemada » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 am

FWIW, I was around 18k when I first hit 80, and I'd regemmed my badge gear/T6 to stay uncrittable. Wearing T7 gloves, the badge belt, and most of the rest rep or instance gear I'm at about 24.5k unbuffed, and I still have a lot of gear to replace. The numbers do come, I promise.
Torquemada

Postby Threatco » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:27 am

like 80 hp short of 20k.

people round it to 19k of course.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby degre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 am

maurok wrote:If you are concerned about stamina and defense, try switching almost ALL your gear (shield and libram are ok). you are using retribution plate, so if it is what you want, you shouldn´t complain about your health being low...
with only crafted and couple 74~78 quest gear you should be able to tank the easy heroics... as you are right now, you´d barely handle heroic trash =/

PS - I like number 3 too =[

What you see in the armory is not his current tank gear, he did mention that ;)
degre

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice