You will need frost resist gear for Sapphiron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Kihra » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 pm

enbee wrote:If you need 4 healers there are 2 possible causes.

1) Your healers are bad

2) Your dps is bad as it isn't avoiding damage as they should be

It was (1) for sure. In 25-man there's less of a "weakest link" problem, since our good healers could compensate for the bad ones.
Kihra

Postby Zimi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:39 pm

no aura, no FrR in my 10 man group, tho we didn't get the -100 club. we suspect it was pets FrR? anyone know? Warlock with felpuppy was what we had. unless my group was lying to me../shakesfist
Zimi

Postby enbee » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:53 am

Warlock + motw + felhunter puts him above 100, which makes you fail the achieve

A mage with imp mage armour + motw also fails

Make them click off motw :)
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Amarant_Pally » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 am

1-shotted Sapphiron Monday night with only Pally aura on the raid (our very first 25man attempt, but two 10man teams had already killed).
Amarant_Pally

Postby Macha » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:19 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Worldie wrote:Yes assuming the DK is specced for it (most will not)
I see a fair number of DKs in vek with imp frost aura, I can't tell if they just are bad or are using that on the way to mr Saph.

These are the good DK tanks. The scrubs don't spec into it, that's how you notice them.

Multiple sources of resist > one mildly better source that doesn't cover all.

And as for the topic: No, you don't need frost resist at all. It helps some, sure, but what really will kill you is his melee only. His aura does a lot of damage, but very steady: This won't kill tanks.
Macha

Postby Diocaska » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:27 am

enbee wrote:Warlock + motw + felhunter puts him above 100, which makes you fail the achieve

A mage with imp mage armour + motw also fails

Make them click off motw :)

Mages can downrank their shield to "join the club", as each rank down has less resistance.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Cedrik » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm

With a good grp you won't need the frost resistance. My guild downed him tonight, first time we attempt him. Noone had frost res gear, only pally aura and DK thingy I think.

Even if you would need the frost resistance gear, it would be more important that everyone else, but the tank would get FR gear since Sapphiron hits kind of hard and you would really need your 540def tanking him. With the frost res gear you will have a hard time hitting this defense. At least that's what I believe :)
Cedrik

Postby Seloei » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:38 am

"We did it with no frost resist", x20 replies. But did any of you actually try out frost resist?

In a "lets get ready fast!" rush we bought mats and made frost resist for a few members and they used it... they had ~400 resist (excellent cap, 75% now) and took 100% the same damage from the aura. A good waste of 1kg

All in all, don't even bother making or getting any frost resist since it doesn't lower the aura damage. Atleast, we tried frost resist last time on the 4. of december.

Maybe it reduces blizzard damage, but with non-retarded raiders they shouldn't be standing in it anyway.

Saph on 10 man is harder than Saph on 25 man, due to the aura ticking for about the same and him meleeing for almost the same.
Seloei

Postby verthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 am

Cedrik wrote:With a good grp you won't need the frost resistance. My guild downed him tonight, first time we attempt him. Noone had frost res gear, only pally aura and DK thingy I think.

Even if you would need the frost resistance gear, it would be more important that everyone else, but the tank would get FR gear since Sapphiron hits kind of hard and you would really need your 540def tanking him. With the frost res gear you will have a hard time hitting this defense. At least that's what I believe :)

In frost resistance gear i have a total of 417 resistance ( with aura ) as well as 540 defence and am 2% away from block capped with 26k unbuffed HP and only slightly lower BV. the aura damage was ticking for around 433 if i remember correctly and the blizzard was also not doing to much damage. boss hitting for around 7K. I had absolutly no problem tanking him in this gear on 10 man.

I'm sure it can be done without frost resistance gear if you are going for the achievement but it really is not difficult to get the resistance and defence needed to have the 415 resistance and still be uncrittable.

Seloei wrote:All in all, don't even bother making or getting any frost resist since it doesn't lower the aura damage. Atleast, we tried frost resist last time on the 4. of december.

As far as I could see the aura was only ticking on me for 400 odd damage so I think it does in fact reduce the damage.
verthis

Postby Cedrik » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:46 am

Okay, still FR gear isn't needed at all. The problem in this fight is to keep the rest of the raid up - not the main tank. So getting Frost Resistance gear as a tank is a waste of stats imo. Sure, it makes the fight easier but it's not at all neccessary.
Cedrik

Postby verthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:58 am

I 100% agree with you, I will however continue to use my FR gear anyway because it helps to mitigate the frost damage and i do not loose that much by wearing it, giving the healers a little more time to heal up the raid, and because im full of crap and like to do things my own way :P
verthis

Postby semp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:13 am

Our MT in 25 man doesnt run any FR gear. Fight is incredibly easy.
semp

Postby Ashmadai » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:57 am

Using Frost resist in the 10 man version of this is 100% pointless. We 1 shotted him the first try with 2 healers and nobody in frost resist. All we used was Frost resist aura, a restro druid and a holy paladin.

It was supremely easy.
Ashmadai

Re: You will need frost resist gear for Sapphiron

Postby Lewid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Sinnegorth wrote:My best friend is in Conquest on Kilrogg and they cleared Naxx back before BC then again last night. Just as before, Sapphiron requires a tank with high frost resist. Only difference now is that tank can be a pally and not just a warrior.

Start saving your mats.

We had weak healers for our first run through, and after a few wipes due to healing problems I got everyone to get the chest item for frost. Just that one item cut the frost aura damage in half. As a tank, it is not necessary to use FrR, but as long as you remain uncrittable its the best way to gain mitigation on this fight.
Lewid

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:23 pm

I still don't see the need for it, we killed him twice now, with 0 frost resist other than the aura. And our healers aren't exactly the best ones on the market.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon