The Challenge: Solo World Dragons

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

The Challenge: Solo World Dragons

Postby Krazy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 pm

...and I don't mean Azuregos (he's a wimp)

I'm talking Emeriss, Lethon, Taerar, and Ysondre.

The problem:

Noxious Breath:

Nature component, puts a stacking dot every 3 seconds. At 6 stacks this is approximately 2500 nature damage a tick. Additionally, all cooldowns are increased by 10 seconds PER STACK. This means that any instant casts will have a 10 second cooldown per stack, up to 1 minute at 6 stacks.

The breath can be resisted fully, however the most NR I could put together (with flask) was 380...and not enough to resist the breath every time and keep it from stacking.

Sleep Fog:

This is not that big of deal, however it is annoying because you have to keep moving the whole fight to avoid it. This fog will put you to sleep for 4 seconds until you get out of it. However since it is just you soloing the fog has nowhere else to go but you...so it stays on you indefinitely and refreshes the sleep over and over. Basically this means that if you get in the fog and bubble is down its game over (you will be chain slept until you die).

The reward:

Each of these dragons drop around 200g plus other junk that could be sold or DE'd...if you could solo them all that would be nearly 1k a week, pretty good dough. They will probably be up most of the time because few people screw with them anymore and the nature stuff is just plain nasty if you go in without good NR gear.

I really think it is possible with enough NR, however I am not quite there. I have the full hydross set and some other stuff but its just not enough to reach the 415 cap you would need to resist the breath all the time.
Krazy

Postby mavfin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:45 pm

I remember tanking these at 60. 30-40 second cooldown on sunder sucks! Ysondre would be your best bet to solo, as we used to do her with 20 60s. Taerar splits in 3, one of the two others (Lethon?) does a lot of shadow damage, and (Emeriss?) does the mushroom thing.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby PsiVen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 am

I think you definitely need to cap your NR to have a chance, and the only way to get there would be Northrend greens. Doesn't sound like fun to me ;)

Unfortunately these guys aren't always up even if nobody's killing them. I'm sure somebody worked out a spawning pattern but as far as I could tell they would pretty much randomly pop up throughout the week.

So: Park 4 alts, gather NR greens, and go to town. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the time to attempt.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Valsh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 am

Breath = cap NR or die, kinda contradicts the whole challenge part ;/
Valsh

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 am

even capped some breaths will still get through. These guys are just a pain in the ass. I'd suggest taking 2 tanks, you and preferably a DK or druid (since their dps is decent for a tank) and a healer.

split the loot three ways, split the headache that these dragons are three ways.
Chunes

Postby loladine » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:17 am

This has crosed my mind and i gave it a shot w/o any nr (and failed at 90% :P) and the debuff dot does become the main problem over anything the cd on abilities cn b soloved wit using different ranks of abilities
The sleeping cloud would mean kiting boss around which is fine in an area where there are no mobs
it would take some real skill to do this solo with or w/o nr if anyone comes up with some gd ideas on how to solo any of these please speak out :P
loladine

Postby Valsh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 pm

I think challenges are a pretty cool, Green dragons aren't exactly the best to aim for. A big list of pre 80 bosses for people to attempt to solo would be a fun idea though.
Valsh

Postby amh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 am

Compiled this list at 70, most of it is extremely trivial now.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... sc&start=0
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Strangler » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:31 am

Tried this as a frost/blood DK - used frost aura to reach the cap.
Had the the epic NR plate gear from TBC, the epic ring, rare neck and Ironvine Gloves (Zandalar tribe rep) crafted. Popped flask of chromatic wonder and voila cap was reached and I was ready to kick some bony emerald ass.
Alas this was no where near enough to resist the breath every time, and since I rely on steady spam of Death Strike to stay alive it proved completely impossible since only 1 stack of the breath is fatal for me in the long run.
Reaching the cap as a pally will be a lot harder tho since you need to pull those 80NR out your ass that I got from the aura, and in doing so I believe you will gimp yourself to oblivion. I will see if I got the WWS on my breath resists - or the lack thereof.
Strangler

Postby Elsie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:49 am

Sleep Fog:

This is not that big of deal, however it is annoying because you have to keep moving the whole fight to avoid it. This fog will put you to sleep for 4 seconds until you get out of it. However since it is just you soloing the fog has nowhere else to go but you...so it stays on you indefinitely and refreshes the sleep over and over. Basically this means that if you get in the fog and bubble is down its game over (you will be chain slept until you die).

This might be mostly avoidable by using Seal of Blood and some other form of self-inflicting damage.

I can't think of any long duration DoTs you can inflict yourself with, though. There might be a boss or alchemy way to do so, though.
Elsie

Postby hoho » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:55 am

Are there any mobs nearby who you could pull that would keep hitting you to wake you up?
hoho

Postby Strangler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 am

hoho wrote:Are there any mobs nearby who you could pull that would keep hitting you to wake you up?

If you just keep backing up you won't get stuck in the sleep zone, and dmg doesn't break the sleep anyway. The real issue is the Noxious Breath.
Strangler

Postby Krazy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:18 am

Well I tried it with 430 NR (don't ask...lotta AH shopping and weird stuff) and the nature damage is pretty much migitaged to nil. However you still get the breath enough that it eventually stacks up to 5 which still makes this a no go. I was hoping to get enough resist to not get the breath much at all but it doesn't look possible.
Krazy

Return to General Strats