[10] Anub'Rekhan questions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Anub'Rekhan questions

Postby Zoltar » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Heading into Naxx 10 for my first time tonight. Apparently we are starting at Anub'Rekhan. I only found out this morning. I had a quick look at a video while eating breakfast but am now at work where most gaming sites are blocked so I can’t research the strat in more detail. Just needing clarification on a few points.

Will be myself and a warrior tanking. The warrior is the guild’s old MT (before he took a preWotLK holiday) so he is probably going to want to tank the boss, meaning I will be on the adds. Strat for the adds seems pretty clear – they spawn when the boss casts locust swarm, get tanked to death, then I consecrate the little scarabs that come from the corpse and they get AoE’d down. Is that right? Do the elites spawn in any particular spot or just randomly around the room? Do the elites spawn at regular intervals or randomly?

On the off chance that the warrior doesn’t want to tank the boss I need some clarification of what to do during locust swarm if I am tanking him. So, when Anub'Rekhan raises his tail I run like the bejeebers round the outside of the room without touching the slime…. But how far? Do I run a full 180 degrees, or 360, or is it just till he stops casting locust swarm? Obviously it’s OK to have your back to the boss while running away?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Zoltar

Postby knaughty » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 pm

If you run, you run the full 180, almost touching the slime.

Plan B: is stand there and tank the damage, melee run out, and healers spam you.

This is easier, but not the "proper" way.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Dehn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Speccing for Pursuit of Justice makes the kiting trivial.
Dehn

Postby Dem » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:21 am

I had no problems tanking this instead of the warrior. When he starts to cast swarm get running around the outside of the slime. PoJ or Boars Speed on boots makes this simple. Run 180 degrees.
If he gets to you before the debuffs drop, you can bubble out of it or use ITEMS (not abilities) e.g. dodge trinket.

We had problems initially with healers being in range on the run. Imagine a square drawn inside the central circle and touching the circle. Place a healer on both points of the square on the side that you're running around. Tell the raid which direction you will run first obviously e.g. clockwise.

Elites always spawn at his initial spot (where you pull him from).
Beetles spawn randomly off elite corpses (or players bodies).
For this reason always tank the elites in one spot. I didn't find consecrate was good to pick them up. They move fast and target healers generally. A frost mage is useful if he's fast as with Maexxna.

Make sure dps focus on the adds - the elite stacking debuff means you can't OT them all.

Apart from that make sure the raid spread out in a single line as much as possible to minimise the throw in the air ability. Don't stack 2 or 3 lines.
Dem

Postby Belloc » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:24 am

I believe that add spawns don't always coincide with Locust Swarm. I know I had times where I'd have an add on me prior to the Locust Swarm, including the first one.

Either that, or I am remembering incorrectly. I don't think that's the case, though.

And I am not referring to the scarabs.
Belloc

Postby Lousiana » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:39 am

We did it the propper way, with myself as Maintank both [10] and [25]

Having a skilled hunter in raid helps too as he can assist you by switching to Aspect of the Pack when you are in safe range of anub.

There is always the chance to eat 1 or 2 Swarms but healers out of range and running 180° makes them fall of a couple of seconds after you are in tankposition again.
Lousiana

Postby Pallacious » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 am

I've got an even easier way we did Anub 10 that was super easy last night without a hunter. .

You can kite him around the outer-most ring (touching the wall, past the slime border). I MT'd him close to one of the bridge sides, so that I could be close enough to jump to the outer-border and start running alongside the wall while the positioning of OT+Heals+DPS could focus down the add in the middle without being too close to myself. I had 1 healer ready to heal me when the 16-second bull run was close to finished (2-3 secs left) so I wouldn't be away from heals and he kept me up till the raid shifted to Anub once the add was down. I also started running from Anub 2-3 secs before the swarm popped so that lag wasn't a second or two already missed before kiting(small hits healed through). Heals kept me up till it was swarm time..I never got hit once during swarm kiting this way. I do have PoJ however. I had the OT position the add close to where I was tanking boss so that we both had heals available to us. Having all the raid in the middle (slightly away from my side) handling adds was best for AoE'ing down the trash fast and then transitioning back to Anub once swarm was up. Nobody even came close to dying once we did this. After I pulled Anub I tanked on the small runway (along the wall) beyond the slime and also kited that path the whole time. Try it sometime.. maybe it's not the "right way" but it simplified the whole thing. Sorry I'm not the best English student either in this one lol. I've heard of possible evade bugging but this didn't happen to be a problem for us.

This was by far the easiest tactic of our own after trying a few other ways published out there. Hopefully helps.

-Pull to any back wall area, beyond the slime-don't touch the slime..bad
-Tank+Kite along that thin runway the whole time
-Raid stacks close to AoE and reach all heals towards middle
-Have trash OT bring adds close to you and boss once swarm is up

GG
Pallacious

Postby Docc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 am

The easiest way to do this in 10 man is to spread your ranged DPS in a line with healers on each end near the slime trenches in through the center of the room. Tank the boss in the doorway where you come in, facing a wall on either side flanking the entry door(if you put your back to the door then mele will be behind and ranged will get hit by meles implaes and such) facing to the left or right with mele behind will make it so they dont get the ranged impaled, and vice-versa. Ranged and healers at max range, OT in the back of the ranged picking up adds. When he swarms you pop a trinket or somthing and make sure the healers know to spam you, mele should leave with about 5-10 seconds left on the Locust Swarm cooldown. While he is swarming, mele and ranged kill the add, stunning it as much as possible so healers can focus on the MT.

This does not work on Heroic, fully stacked swarm is death for any tank in hero, but for 10 man atleast this is the easiest way.
Docc

Postby Kalakaua » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:17 pm

warrior tank was lagging and my gear was better anyway, so I was main tanking this fight. With no speed enhancements, I could not get out of the swarm and towards the end, I'd have 10 stacks up doing 10K+ a tick. After a couple wipes, I respecced for pursuit of justice and the fight was trivial. Swarm never stacked more than 3-4 times. I got caught on the wall once and it stacked to 5 times. But you quickly outrun it.
Kalakaua

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Docc wrote:This does not work on Heroic, fully stacked swarm is death for any tank in hero, but for 10 man atleast this is the easiest way.

Quite untrue, swarm hits for same amount in 10 and 25 men.

In fact, it's easier to outheal in 25 since you got 6-7 healers instead of 2-3
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Epimer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Ok, I'm wiping my raid over and over trying to do this kiting thing. I don't have PoJ or Boar's Speed. Is it still doable? I am failing horribly at this and feeling pretty bad about it!
Epimer

Postby Amarant_Pally » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Epimer wrote:Ok, I'm wiping my raid over and over trying to do this kiting thing. I don't have PoJ or Boar's Speed. Is it still doable? I am failing horribly at this and feeling pretty bad about it!

Fix that, then. ;)
Amarant_Pally

Postby Epimer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:18 pm

As soon as we called it, I got on my bank alt for the mats for Boar's Speed, then got the Ebon Blade Honoured boots to put it on...
Epimer

Postby Tiranknight » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Downed him today, was OT but had trouble picking up the Elite adds at times...

seems like I was silenced almost every time the add spawned and I couldn't get a hold of it until after it destroyed someone... Hunter had to MD to me a lot.

any way to avoid this? couldn't Exorcise, couldn't Avenger's Shield, couldn't Judge...
Tiranknight

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:20 pm

Epimer wrote:Ok, I'm wiping my raid over and over trying to do this kiting thing. I don't have PoJ or Boar's Speed. Is it still doable? I am failing horribly at this and feeling pretty bad about it!

I've done it without either, only 2 healers, one of whom has terrible gear.

(1) Make sure there's a healer waiting at the far end of the kite.
(2) Pop Bubblewall as you arrive.

Should only have to kite once. Pop everything for the kite phase+ first few secs tanking after arrival: Bubblewall, Sacred Shield, pot, healthstone, etc.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon