[10] Malygos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Joanadark » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Killed him without any DKs. You can still get double-triple stacks by putting the raid pretty much in the center of the platform, and having the tank rotate the boss around the group when each spark spawns so that the raid is in between malygos and the incoming spark, which will naturally gravitate over your spark residue stack on it's way to malygos. Just be aware of the breath attack timer as you move, and beyond that it's very easy to manuever because his hitbox is surprisingly managable for a dragon, and he doesnt cleave or tail swipe.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Buffy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Having done all the 10mans, Malygos is definitely the harder of the lot. It's nice to know there's something to "work toward", though, as Naxx is extreme ezmode right now.

We put some attempts into Malygos last night, and while we weren't expecting to down him (had some undergeared dps with us), I can say that bringing a Holy Paladin was somewhat of a bad call on our part. I'm sure it would be different once they nerf Malygos in the next patch, but during the Vortex, the Holy Paladin basically did a fraction of the healing as the Resto Druid/ Priest.
Buffy

Postby Morganim » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Buffy wrote:Having done all the 10mans, Malygos is definitely the harder of the lot. It's nice to know there's something to "work toward", though, as Naxx is extreme ezmode right now.

We put some attempts into Malygos last night, and while we weren't expecting to down him (had some undergeared dps with us), I can say that bringing a Holy Paladin was somewhat of a bad call on our part. I'm sure it would be different once they nerf Malygos in the next patch, but during the Vortex, the Holy Paladin basically did a fraction of the healing as the Resto Druid/ Priest.

pally/priest/priest is my fav combo for this although pally/priest/druid would work as well.

Reason being is paladin can solo keep the tank up with ease leaving the other 2 healers to save mana for expensive stuff during vorted + holy ligh spam carries in p2

most useless healer by far is a shaman, but then the shaman in my guild refuse to MT heal for some reason claiming there class cant do it which i thinks just a load of shit because they cant do anything beside spam chain heal
Morganim

Postby Ewige » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:25 am

I'd say Sartharon 10s with drakes up is the hardest of the lot, but malygos is definitely on top otherwise. Demanding on healing, dps and tanking.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby Subject » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:36 am

We did it with 2 healers last night and weren't having issues in the healing department, we ran Paladin Shaman (as we have no Holy Priests or Resto Druids). Vortex was fine, people would land and get topped off. I'd also heal tank when needed.

The only thing we didn't have was GOOD damage and we'd be taking 5minutes alone to get through Phase 1 if not more, the one p2 we got through we pretty much got on our drakes, Malygos enraged and we died.
Subject - Female Blood Elf Paladin of Tortheldrin
Subject - Male Human Paladin of Arthas (Sold Pre-2.4)
Subject

Re: [10] Malygos

Postby Ursula » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Markoh wrote:During this phase Malygos will be using an ability called power surge (a warning shows up even without boss mods). If you see a message saying he is preparing to surge you need to watch him as he gets ready to channel the spell on you. As he starts you need to hit button 5 (Flame Shield) to make this damage you take trivial. This is very important b/c if you don't shield during a surge you are probably going to die b/c the healers can heal great but all they do is hots so large chunks of direct damage will end in your death.

I need clarification:

Do you only EVER need to use Flame Shield if he is targeting you during his Surge cast? Otherwise just keep doing 112-112- right?

Also, something to help the tanks during phase 1.
/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax", 25)
/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMaxFactor", 2)

This will enable maximum camera distance on your screen to allow you to see sparks in Phase 1 easier.

I did eight attempts on Malygos the other night and we had a lot of trouble with the timer. We went in completely under-prepared after one-shotting plague, saph, KT, and Sarth. The main problems I had were that my guild is Singaporean and I can never understand a word they say, so it was just trial and error run for me during phase 1! =(
Ursula

Postby Kayoto » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:56 am

Subject wrote:We did it with 2 healers last night and weren't having issues in the healing department, we ran Paladin Shaman (as we have no Holy Priests or Resto Druids). Vortex was fine, people would land and get topped off. I'd also heal tank when needed.

The only thing we didn't have was GOOD damage and we'd be taking 5minutes alone to get through Phase 1 if not more, the one p2 we got through we pretty much got on our drakes, Malygos enraged and we died.

I'm interested in how you did this, as my guild also currently has no Resto Druids or Holy Priests.

I haven't attempted the fight yet, but from what I've read, the Vortex does 2000 damage per second for 10 seconds to the whole raid (so, everyone takes 20,000 damage by the end).

How on earth did a Shaman & Paladin prevent people from dying with the only available spells being Earth Shield (1 person, might not even save them from death), Riptide (6s cooldown), and Holy Shock (6s cooldown)?
Kayoto

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:12 am

Well, you're forgetting Sacred Shield, but I'm guessing they relied at least in part on consumables and possibly an offspec healer.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Joanadark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:42 am

I need clarification:

Do you only EVER need to use Flame Shield if he is targeting you during his Surge cast? Otherwise just keep doing 112-112- right?

You shouldnt EVER have to use Flame Shield, unless you fail at clumping or your healers fail at pressing 4.

How on earth did a Shaman & Paladin prevent people from dying with the only available spells being Earth Shield (1 person, might not even save them from death), Riptide (6s cooldown), and Holy Shock (6s cooldown)?

Dont go in wearing level 70 gear and craftables that dont have any stam.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby besil » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to the forum :)
Our guild has been clearing Naxx for 2 weeks, so everyone in the group for malygos are quite geared (naxx or heroic) But I dont know why we keep having problems with enrage timer.
how many minutes would u guys think woud be needed to complete phase 1? our group spent about 4 to 5 mins to finish this phase, and 3-4 mins into phase 2, which only gives us about 1- 1.5mins for phase 3 before his enrage time. but that not enough to finish his 40% left hp
So my questions are what is the main problems? Is it possible to do phase 3 while he enrages?
besil

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 am

Our first kill we managed to down him shortly after enrage. You just don't have much time once he goes berzerk though.

P1 you can save a lot of time by stacking at least 2 sparks then popping BL/Heroism right after a vortex fades.

P2 you can save time by having 100% of your dps stay on Lords before the melee on discs fly up and attack scions. (we would let our melee peel off and start burning scions soon as they got a disc, but we found it more advantageous to keep them on the 2nd lord then move up to scions). Also, scions can be stunned (though they keep drifting along on their disc), so rogues, pallies, etc can use this to save their healers some grief.

P3 is all about stacking the flame debuff as high as possible. There was a lot of fail in this department in my guild's run, but if you can stack and preserve the stacking debuff above 15 for at least 5 people, you should be able to drop the boss in the time you have leftover from p1 and p2.

he's a pretty tuned fight for entry level gear, but it just takes coordination and precise execution to get him down.

you can do it!
Chunes

Postby Markoh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:40 am

Joanadark wrote:
I need clarification:

You shouldnt EVER have to use Flame Shield, unless you fail at clumping or your healers fail at pressing 4.

Dont go in wearing level 70 gear and craftables that dont have any stam.

Not true, don't depend on your healers aoe healing ESPECIALLY in the 10 man. You could get away with it (maybe) in the 25 man b/c of the number of healers but with only 2 healers you should definatly use your shield. It has almost no effect on damage b/c you have time to do a 1,1,5 after he surges you. I was just messing around last time to try and supercharge my dps and had 15 energy and no combo points when he surged me and I got my shield off in time and easily got my next stack on my engulf in flames.

If everyone is completely topped off before the vortex you may be able to survive with no heals depending on the buffs/ammount of life everyone has. I never said priest/druid were required but why on earth would you purposely make it hard on yourself if you have access to these classes is all I'm saying. You can say whatever you want about not bringing those classes but this ability was designed around them. (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=13275298122&sid=1&pageNo=10#182) Another thing you could do is extensive use of healthstones/healthpots one of these used per vortex + a decent life pool should let everyone live. Most people when they have mostly wotlk epic gear should be around 20k life (when you say you have no priests does that mean shadow too b/c you will NEED a fort of some type) that plus ~3000 from a healthstone should be enough. Mana shouldn't be a huge problem b/c you only need to fight for like 5-6 min max and your mana has no effect on drakes. This fight is supposed to be the culmination of tier 1 wotlk raiding and b/c of this it is a gear check so keep that in mind.

@besil
4 min is about right for phase one, phase 2 should be another 2 min at maximum leaving 4 min for phase 3. Your group needs to streamline phase 2 from what it sounds like, if your melee heavy have what range you have focusing on the flying guys while ground pounds the 2 that come down. Also only let your very best melee dps take disks at first, and make sure you focus fire the flying scions if you take one down fast thats another disk for a dps to go up on as apposed to damaging all the diff adds. As for enrage, you have about 15-20 seconds left at most if your people are spread way out and use shield when he attacks you. We had a .01% wipe (20k life) on 25 man b/c of huge lag spikes resetting all the stacks and we lasted 20 seconds b/c after he isnta killed about 15 of us the people he was targeting were able to shield and keep alive for a couple more seconds.
Markoh

Postby Gaffer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:45 am

Has anyone tried You Don't Have an Eternity in here yet? We went in there today to try this and even with good sparks, we took ~6:20 to finish running Mage, Mage, Balance Druid, Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman, Enhancement Shaman, and a BM Hunter. All high DPS but not near the optimization necessary. We're going to try stacking a group for next week. Either all casters or all melee and no Hunters unless everyone is ranged..
Gaffer

Postby Markoh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Theres a theory that if you can manage to keep all the sparks rooted/stunned and wait till you get like 8 I think it is and then just blow them all up. This causes an insane ammount of dps, though I think it got proven that you won't have enough time left to do p2 and p3.

Really the only way to do it is to just outgear the hell out of it. No real secret; know the fight, execute perfectly, have a very synergistic raid, consumable up, and max dps specs.
Markoh

Postby Maswin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:04 am

besil wrote:Hi everyone, I'm quite new to the forum :)
Our guild has been clearing Naxx for 2 weeks, so everyone in the group for malygos are quite geared (naxx or heroic) But I dont know why we keep having problems with enrage timer.
how many minutes would u guys think woud be needed to complete phase 1? our group spent about 4 to 5 mins to finish this phase, and 3-4 mins into phase 2, which only gives us about 1- 1.5mins for phase 3 before his enrage time. but that not enough to finish his 40% left hp
So my questions are what is the main problems? Is it possible to do phase 3 while he enrages?

Stack as many power sparks as you can, if you can keep 2 stacked throughout the entire phase 1 you should kill him with plenty of time. Phase 2, focus on one lord then the next one to get disc's in the air as fast as possible; have your melee take the first 2 discs to maximise DPS on the flying ones. You then need your next DPS to jump on the discs as soon as they can when they fall.

2 minutes is more than enough time to do phase 3 if all of your DPS know how to keep the stack racking up, and when he enrages you have seconds until death, so if he isn't almost dead (200k or so) then it's more than like a wipe.

We didn't find this fight much of a gear check, as we managed to kill him after doing naxx once; heroic(blues included)/crafted/vendor gear is more than sufficient if you have DPS who know how to play their class.
Maswin

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon