[H] Utgarde Pinnacle guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle guide

Postby justintime » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Utgarde Pinnacle

This instance can be very doable but also very difficult when people don't know what to expect (3rd boss)
For us tanks it's very worth it to farm this heroic as the epic tanking sword "Red Sword of Courage" drops from the end boss

Composition:
tank: Crit immune is highly preferred as dps input can be very high
Healer: AOE healers shine here cause of the aoe dmg from a few bosses but any skilled healer should be ok
-dps (a few bosses are dps races and lot's of AOE so mages/locks/dk;s are preferred) if you need cc most are humanoids and some undead

General:

As you enter the instance there are a few none elite mobs which you can skip first pull is either a 2 or 3 pull (1 patrol) with one caster. You can skip the big guy at the wall or take him down as this wall will be removed when you've downed the end boss.

Just make your way to small packs with normally 1 or 2 casters till you hit the first boss Svala Sorrowgrave

1st boss:
Svala Sorrowgrave:
This boss is all about the dps of the group. The boss will teleport one party member to the altar and summons three adds which channel spells holding the party member in place. A sword slowly descends toward the altar, and if the adds are not killed by the time the sword reaches the alter it hits the sacrifice target for 100% of its health.

So the most important aspect of this fight is to nuke all three adds within the 8 seconds you get and make sure the party member that was trapped walks away from the alter as the sword will continue to go down.

All three are undead so help out by HW/concecration. Also when the adds are dead and the sword is going down make sure the group is continuing dps on the boss while she is in the air. This is basically free dps time.

Next pulls are nothing special all groups of 2-4 mobs with no real threat till you come to the 2nd boss Gortok Palehoof.

2nd boss:
Gortok Palehoof

Actually these are 4 mini bosses and 1 normal boss.

When you start the event 1 mini boss will be unfrozen it doesn’t matter much which one it is all four are just tank and spank bosses and go down rather quickly, you only have to watch the big snake as he summons some none elite adds just make sure you have your concecration up so the healer is not ganged.

After the 4 mini bosses Gortok Palehoof is unfrozen. Tank him with your back against the wall to make it easier on the healer. This is again a dps race. He will do a withering roar that reduces your total health by 1000 and this stacks also will he throw a spear to a random party member doing some major dmg. So basically either you dps him down quickly or party members start dying from the reduced health / spear throws.

If you have an average group it isn’t that hard.

Don't run in the next hall as the 3rd boss is there and you will start the event for it, make sure everyone know what to do on boss 3. (hardest boss)

Boss3:
Skadi the Ruthless

This boss is the reason lots of people hate pinnacle. This boss can be easy as long as all party members understand what they should do.

Quote from wowwiki:

==
When the fight begins, Skadi the Ruthless will mount his proto-drake and fly up into the air, beginning a gauntlet style event. Your party must work their way about 150yd up a hallway fighting 4-5 waves of 5-6 Frost Vrykul each.

While you are fighting through the gauntlet, Skadi will fly over on his drake and cast frostfire on the ground in long strips. Standing in the fire does ~3k a second.

Ymirjar Harpooners will drop harpoons that stick in the ground. Party members need to loot the harpoons along the way.

When you reach the end of the gauntlet, there are three harpoon guns mounted on the edge of the keep. Occasionally you will see the emote that "Skadi is in Range of the Harpoons" and a party member, who has a harpoon, needs to use the harpoon gun.

After 4-5 hits with harpoons, Skadi's drake will die and he will dismount. From this point on the adds stop spawning and it is essentially a tank and spank. He has an ability that does ~6k damage to the tank and stuns him for 2 seconds. Skadi will also occasionally cast whirlwind, which hits for ~2k, and target a random party member. The targeted party member must kite the boss away from the rest of party to reduce overall damage taken.
==

While doing the gauntlet make sure you get the casters first as they can 1shot your healer.

What I found best working is when you enter the hallway run as far as you can in the hallway and take on a big group of adds (like 10) they won't hit hard and HW is very nice here. This will give you a big advantage as you won't have to run a big distance and have the change to run out of mana.

Time your AS correctly as you have mobs standing still and running in. The hardest part is the last group as this group has about 4 casters. HW + stun + silence (if your a blood elf) makes this part doable.

Make sure you are in the doorway and your healer is not in los for the additional adds that will come running in while dps is trying to fire off the harpoons.

When the boss lands it's imperative that your fast on getting agro from the boss as he can 1shot a member with ease.

Tank him against the wall and make sure all casters + healers are at max range from him so they have time to run when he does his whirlwind, make sure no one is standing in the door opening on the left as it he will be trapped.

This fight is all about control, if you have that it will be no problem.

The next few pulls have mobs in them that fear, so be sure to pull back or CC them.

This is also true for the last pull in front of the end boss.

End boss:
King Ymiron

This boss is a real gear check as he has some nasty abilities:
Bane - Surrounds King Ymiron with an aura that deals 5k-6k+ shadow damage to an attacker on every attack
Dark Slash - Slashes current agro target with darkness, dealing damage equal to 50% of targets total health.
Fetid Rot - Afflicts the target with a disease dealing 1414-1586 damage per second for 9 seconds and decreasing healing received by 25%.

Tank him were he is and make sure all dps know that they should stop as soon as he casts bane, let mages spell steal this ASAP. He is undead so threat won't be a problem.
The Fetid rot disease is a real pain cause the boss is hitting you so hard the 25% less healing must be cleansed by you directly. If you cleanse in time, and don't do any bane dmg this fight won't be that hard.

Hope he drops your tank sword mine dropped after run 11 :(
justintime

Postby Aleph » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Any particular reason for all the against-the-wall tanking? I didn't tank any boss against a wall last night on my first run through ever (not even on normal mode beforehand) and it was fine.
Aleph

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Wanted to add that the rhino does some AoE damage so having your casters stay far away would be a good idea.

Also if you put the drake as your focus on the third boss you can monitor it's hp so that you know when he is about to land. One way to handle the third boss when he lands is to have your melee and tank kite the boss towards the exit when he whirlwinds towards them and to have the casters/healers kite towards the enterance. He can out pached while whirlwinded while walking backwards. This is one fight I make heavy use of sacred shield.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby tagmir » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm

I've also noted on the third boss that you can taunt him while he's on perfoming his whirlwind attack. It mainly helps when he's chasing someone and getting too close or if you have 2 classes with taunts you can just ping pong him back and forth and never really get hit.
tagmir

Postby justintime » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:25 am

Aleph wrote:Any particular reason for all the against-the-wall tanking? I didn't tank any boss against a wall last night on my first run through ever (not even on normal mode beforehand) and it was fine.

Well normally it's a good habit anyway but i thaught that one of the mini bosses does is doing knockback and the reason on boss three is so no dps or healer can "hide" behind him, cause they will be dead when he starts his whirlwind.
Last edited by justintime on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
justintime

Postby justintime » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:26 am

tagmir wrote:I've also noted on the third boss that you can taunt him while he's on perfoming his whirlwind attack. It mainly helps when he's chasing someone and getting too close or if you have 2 classes with taunts you can just ping pong him back and forth and never really get hit.

hmm great idea never tried, good tip thx!
justintime

3rd boss

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm

We just did heroic UP and managed to down the 3rd boss on our 4th attempt.

Along the way i discovered a little trick in dealing with Skadi the Ruthless and his whirlwind. - Helps if you have all ranged DPS.

When he dismounts, pick him up and tank him at the end area where the harpoons are. Have healer and all ranged DPS run back down the gauntlet to max range.
When he does whirlwind he will inevitably start spinning his way down the gauntlet towards the healer and dps.

When he gets 1/2 way there:
TAUNT & AVENGERS SHIELD

This will actually make him start spinning his way back to you for about 2-3 secs.

This will give the healer some precious time to top off the party health, or not cast for a few seconds and regen mana, as well as let the ranged freely DPS (provided their threat isnt an issue).

The worst thing to do is to have the ranged dps up close around where the harpoons are. We tried that and we lost 2 dps and the healer when he cornered them.

Right Beotch of a fight.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Mishdorf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:32 pm

A tip for the 3rd boss gauntlet:

The mobs don't hit very hard - run all or almost all the way to the end gathering them all up before the dps fight, dropping consecrations on the way (for a tiny bit of aggro). Treat it a bit like the shattered halls guantlet in that regard (except a bit easier).

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby Veilan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:45 pm

My first hero run pinnacle we got the third boss on the first try. I find the run up a lil easier as a warrior - hullo 3 AoE threat moves compared to consecration only - but it's well managable. Stay focussed on when he jumps down so he doesn't instagib the healer or someone, and agree with everyone where to run when he whirlwinds - I find the whole party running down the same way works best.

After gloriously slaughtering Skadi the first try, we then took 2 on Ymiron because two DDs decided to suicide into bane and the last felt jumping into one of the spheres was a great idea... :(
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Daenerys » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Veilan wrote:My first hero run pinnacle we got the third boss on the first try. I find the run up a lil easier as a warrior - hullo 3 AoE threat moves compared to consecration only - but it's well managable. Stay focussed on when he jumps down so he doesn't instagib the healer or someone, and agree with everyone where to run when he whirlwinds - I find the whole party running down the same way works best.

After gloriously slaughtering Skadi the first try, we then took 2 on Ymiron because two DDs decided to suicide into bane and the last felt jumping into one of the spheres was a great idea... :(

I think it was posted somewhere here.. but we certainly do not have only one aoe threat move. Holy Wrath the first big pack (have you not noticed how AWESOME holy wrath is in this expansion? Take the culling of strat, for instance), hammer of righteous the next 3, and avenger's shield on the next 3, and then consecrate ftw at the end.
Daenerys

Postby Veilan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:26 am

Yes, holy wrath works. Due to the inherent stun, I usually use it at the end, when I have a big bunch. Holy wrath is lovely when you have it, like here, but I wouldn't count it as a general move due to the limiting undeadness factor.

Hammer, avenger's shield are per definition not Area of Effect spells.

It's well doable, but I personally find the gauntlet a little easier as warrior.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Arcia » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 am

Easiest way of doing the guantlet is probably doing it the way you need to do it if you want the achievements.

What you do is you start the event then you just stand in the begining of the corridor and kill adds until your group have 5-6 harpoons, then you just run out into the room where third boss is and wait until you get out of combat.

When you leave combat everyone runs in fast and goes down the corridor to where the harpoon launchers are located, it takes a while for the boss to respawn so it shouldnt be problem.

Everyone then stacks up to the side of the door where the adds spawn, out of LoS, the tank stands just inside the door.

Someone in your group (pref the fastest one, rogue with sprint or something) runs back and starts the event then run back to the group.

All the mobs will spawn (about 20 or so) just holy wrath + consecration and so on, the rest of the group goes around the corner and aoe's them down.

Then when you get the message about the boss being in range everyone with harpoons just spams the harpoon guns and the dragons dies asap.

Pickup the boss and dps him down, if your dps doesnt suck you've just got your self 2 achievements, 1 for killing the dragon in 1 run and 1 for killing the boss in less then 3 minutes.
Arcia

Postby OntetheProt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 am

tagmir wrote:I've also noted on the third boss that you can taunt him while he's on perfoming his whirlwind attack. It mainly helps when he's chasing someone and getting too close or if you have 2 classes with taunts you can just ping pong him back and forth and never really get hit.

This is how I do it. Works great.
OntetheProt

Postby Anubisknight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 am

Should've read this guide before trying H UP yesterday. It was my first heroic run (and of 3 other members in our party) - didn't want to run any before hitting 20k unbuffed (just one of my quirks).

Everything upto the third boss wasn't much of a problem - had to use bubble wall for a 4 pack, but it was more of a precaution than anything else. But, after 6-7 wipes on the third boss, we called it. Will be trying it later today evening or tomorrow again with the tips mentioned in here.

Thanks for the guide and the tips.
Anubisknight

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:23 am

Not sure if its an ATI driver issue (havent tried updating them yet) but when doing the gauntlet thingy I get terrible graphics lag with the frostbreath aoe on the ground and I have to turn down my spell detail level or try to have the effect outside of my POV.

Just a tip if you have an older computer/graphics card. Mine is just 8 months old though, it shouldnt lag that terribly.
mirkodeluxe

Next

Return to General Strats