Frost resist for tanking Kel Thuzad?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby vschiano2008 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:06 am

I wouldn't do the Fr Resist.. maybe one of the holy pallies can throw the aura up, but otherwise nah.
vschiano2008

Postby Nalyn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 am

Lore wrote:I keep an Exorcism glyph handy just for Kel'thuzad

Crap, I forgot about this last night, we got him to 11% on our second attempt last night, 10 man version...
Nalyn

Postby earanduin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Lore wrote:I keep an Exorcism glyph handy just for Kel'thuzad

I'm not a fan of having an interrupt based on spell hit. Although I guess a 90%+ of an interrupt in an 'oh snap' scenario is better than none at all (that is if HoJ is down).
earanduin

Postby Worldie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 am

PsiVen wrote:I think the point is that if you slap on a max frost resist set and don't bother with interrupts, you'll take less damage than if you gear normally and interrupt every bolt while also allowing you to bring less melee if you feel like it.

Does he actually spend ALL of his time casting if left uninterrupted? If so this is probably true.

In 25 men he seembs to be basically spamming frostbolts with the odd melee.

Altho this might be wrong since he managed to cast maybe 2 frostbolts total without being kicked (we run 3 rogues, 1 dk, 1 war, 2 dps shamans and 3 mages, wts kicks)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Macktruck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:42 pm

In 10 and 25 man, I find myself wearing the FrR chest, and that's it. It definitely helps soak up a lot of the frost dmg whether it's from the volley or an accidental frostbolt. Even in 10-man, I've seen frostbolts get resisted as well as on the volley.

On Sapphiron, I'll employ the same tactic as well. I find that the resisted frost dmg outweights the extra melee dmg.
Macktruck

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Macktruck wrote:In 10 and 25 man, I find myself wearing the FrR chest, and that's it. It definitely helps soak up a lot of the frost dmg whether it's from the volley or an accidental frostbolt. Even in 10-man, I've seen frostbolts get resisted as well as on the volley.

On Sapphiron, I'll employ the same tactic as well. I find that the resisted frost dmg outweights the extra melee dmg.

I see a lot of people saying how they are losing too much equipping frost gear, and frankly, I dont get that at all..

You only need the 3 plate pieces to get to resist cap (with aura up) and its not all that hard to wear that and maintain defense cap.

Naturally, you will lose a bit of threat and not be block capped, but with the high AC and stamina that is inherent to all 3 pieces, I really can't see you losing anything except for a few % avoidance.

In my resist set, I am at almost 30k unbuffed and just shy of 50% pure avoidance and about 7% from block cap.

In my normal gear I am block capped and at 28.3k unbuffed and around 53% pure avoidance.

AC is pretty much identical.

Frankly, I advocate the resist set if you can get it as your healers will have an easier time of it.
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:31 pm

As far as I know, he leans heavily towards chucking Frostbolts if uninterrupted.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 pm

The only time I could see the resist gear being viable is if you are strapped for healers or interrupts due to attempting the 8-man or 21-man achievements.

And even when trying to 8-man it, I'd rather have my full block set on for tanking KT and the adds.
baleogthefierce

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I haven't actually tanked him on 25-man yet (might get a chance tonight though since our usual MT probably isn't going to make it), so I can only comment on the 10-man version.

I generally use FrR gear on KT since it's only three pieces and gives me a slight health boost anyway at the cost of a little avoidance and block. Frostbolts hit for such pathetic damage they aren't worth interrupting, and his melee doesn't seem to be any more of an issue than it is in my normal tanking gear. Probably slightly harder since my block is lower, but it's more than offset by trivializing frostbolts.

I haven't actually checked the differences in damage taken, but on 10-man at least, resist gear almost certainly results in less overall incoming damage from KT. The situation strikes me as being similar to Jan'alai hatchling-tanking: resist gear isn't needed, but it makes the fight somewhat easier. It's probably not as dramatic a difference in this case, however.

Granted, if I knew that I'd be tanking the adds too every time due to freak OT deaths, I might just slap on my normal set and stress interrupts to our melee.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon