Remove Advertisements

Gurtogg bloodboil

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Gurtogg bloodboil

Postby enbee » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 am

Couldn't find a topic on here through search, so thought I'd start one myself.

My guild started gurtogg bloodboil on thursday and had a solid 2 hours on him, managed to get him down to 11% once.

The issue was though:

I started out tanking, got a hefty threat lead and everyone could nuke, I bubbled the bleed stacks the first p2, and started off highest threat still the 2nd p1, problem was though, I had no other way to remove the stacks after that and the offtanks couldn't seem to be able to pass me or even keep a comfortable second, I ended up with 15ish stacks, and on a cleave + breath + bleed tick + mh/oh hit I got practicly 1shot and died, this happened several times.

So we swapped things around, had a warrior starting off, well that sucked, dps was holding back all the time, and I was autoattacking and doing r4 consec and keeping up without a problem, he didn't go down nearly as quick as when I started off.

So what I'm thinking for sunday (next tries + kill I hope :>) is.. doing less threat, and hoping the druid does a better job at keeping up, without lowering raid dps too much.

Does anyone have any experience with him? The knockbacks didn't seem to do enough to allow the offtanks to catch up, though I was going full out on threat... can't help it.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Re: Gurtogg bloodboil

Postby fiorina » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:38 pm

enbee wrote:Couldn't find a topic on here through search, so thought I'd start one myself.

My guild started gurtogg bloodboil on thursday and had a solid 2 hours on him, managed to get him down to 11% once.

The issue was though:

I started out tanking, got a hefty threat lead and everyone could nuke, I bubbled the bleed stacks the first p2, and started off highest threat still the 2nd p1, problem was though, I had no other way to remove the stacks after that and the offtanks couldn't seem to be able to pass me or even keep a comfortable second, I ended up with 15ish stacks, and on a cleave + breath + bleed tick + mh/oh hit I got practicly 1shot and died, this happened several times.

So we swapped things around, had a warrior starting off, well that sucked, dps was holding back all the time, and I was autoattacking and doing r4 consec and keeping up without a problem, he didn't go down nearly as quick as when I started off.

So what I'm thinking for sunday (next tries + kill I hope :>) is.. doing less threat, and hoping the druid does a better job at keeping up, without lowering raid dps too much.

Does anyone have any experience with him? The knockbacks didn't seem to do enough to allow the offtanks to catch up, though I was going full out on threat... can't help it.

Something is very wrong with your warriors/druids. They should be able to sustain 1k+ TPS.... Sounds strange to me you are on Gurtogg and having threat problems. Give them WF, BL if needed.
Nothing to add... either ask them to do more threat or lower your threat
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby khash » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:12 pm

does BoP remove the bleeds as well? or only DS?
khash

Postby Kaelie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:18 pm

khash wrote:does BoP remove the bleeds as well? or only DS?

BoP removes Garrote and most other physical debuffs, so I'd assume it would.
Kaelie

Postby enbee » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Only bubble removes it, bop/stoneform do not, which is a shame, I could solo tank it in that case
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Kaelie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:24 pm

enbee wrote:Only bubble removes it, bop/stoneform do not, which is a shame, I could solo tank it in that case

Ever wish they'd design a fight around the abilities we have, instead of coding exceptions to most of them? :(

Oh, nevermind, they did, mages got Krosh. >_<
Kaelie

Re: Gurtogg bloodboil

Postby dhan619 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:29 am

enbee wrote:Couldn't find a topic on here through search, so thought I'd start one myself.

The issue was though:

Sounds like you're right where my guild is at in terms of progression.

When I get into situations like this... slow down your rotations imo and spam holy shield and chill with the consec and judges for a bit. Just auto swing and holy shield up. You'd still be uncrushable and you're slowing down your threat.

Yeah... I know exactly what you mean by being WAY ahead of everybody else in threat. I'm averaging like 1.4k threat per second and I just slow down my rotations and spam holy shield instead to have that lead, yet still be level with my other tanks.

I'm still kinda o.O?ing at your feral druids not being able to maintain a comfortable secondary threat. Gurtogg is doing so much aoe damage in front of him that whether you have the aggro or not there should be enough rage for those rage pushers o.0... that warrior should maybe block val a bit more imo.
Danielhan
<Grandeur>
Server: Muradin

dhan619

Postby enbee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:44 am

We don't have offtanks in front of a boss, ever, parry = bad
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby PsiVen » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:04 am

Well no wonder they're having rage issues. The offtanks need to be eating arcing smash and breath in front of him. There are few bosses in the game where parry streaks will cause a noticeable increase in burst damage, and Gurtogg in p1 isn't one of them. The only time a tank shouldn't stand in front is when they just switched and need to drop their debuff stack, since Arcing Smash will proc it.

The thing to remember is that there is no threat wipe on Gurtogg. Your offtank(s) need to be above the entire rest of the raid at all times, just below you. This means that the entire raid is heavily capped in DPS by how much threat those guys can do. The best time to do a tank transition is going into a new phase 1. You can BoP the guy with too much threat who runs out of melee to get a 130% threshold, and the next tank goes into melee him as Fel Rage ends. Gurtogg will see the guy with highest melee threat, and not go after you even after the BoP expires as long as you have less than 130% of the new tank's aggro. Don't go into melee range again until you're under 110% and you're golden.

Phase 2 of course, the DPS goes all out the whole time. That's when the bulk of damage is done, since there's no threat caused.

Trust me, if you don't manage your tank rotations you might see a few low % wipes or even pull out a lucky kill, but if you perfect the rotation and make sure the DPS doesn't overaggro you'll reliably 1-shot him every week barring horrible luck with Fel Rage targets.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby enbee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm

killed him, used a different warrior with less shit threat :>, and once we stopped getting fel raged mages down he went!

reliquary of souls is annoying! Allready have a working p1 strat tho, kill soon yay
Last edited by enbee on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Eliane » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:26 pm

enbee wrote:killed him, used a different warrior with less shit treath :>, and once we stopped getting fel raged mages down he went!

reliquary of souls is annoying! Allready have a working p1 strat tho, kill soon yay

Grats Enbee! I'll bug you for taccs later this week :P
Eliane

Postby Cakes » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 am

Alright, tonight was our first night of attempts on this guy, and we seemed to be doing fine except during fel rage on clothies. I know this is typically griped about and what not, but I don't see people just not bringing cloth wearers to the raid. I also see people reliably one-shotting this guy, which means that raids don't just make sacrifices to the WoW gods for great fel rage rotations.

Never the less, our clothies are getting destroyed with that arcing smash debuff up. Is there really anything that we can do about it or just grit and bear it?
Cakes

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:14 am

Praying that he fel rages a plate/mail is usually the best way to deal with it i think ><
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gavel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 am

I've gotten 3 fel rages in the same fight, was pretty awesome. Easy way to win.

We wreck Gurtogg when one of our DPS warriors specs protection, as then we have 3 tanks available. Our resident feral druid has a terrible maul to melee ratio and therefore his threat is really really poor, so me and the MT just end up trading it back and forth. GG 35 stacks at the end of the fight.
Gavel

Postby enbee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 am

35 stacks eh, thought I was lucky to survive with 29 last night :o
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Next

Return to Black Temple