[10] Grobbulus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Grobbulus

Postby Doriangray » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 am

I wonder whether I am missing something on him. It's the only boss so far in Naxx that has given our group some headache. We got him after 7 or so tries, but it still seems luck-based.

What happens is the following: I suppose everybody here has noticed the erratic mob movement as of late, where mobs sometimes just walk into you, then realize they went to far, and turn around and move out again, or, alternately, walk through you.

Now, what happened on Grobbulus for us was that in every try, at least once or twice, he would walk into me, then turn around to move out, and spray during that time - which meant we got 3-4 oozes, which sucks. In the end, I got a bit better at anticipating when he might spray again, and tried to move away from him so he wouldn't turn, and our ooze tank got really good at grabbing the oozes fast and killing them with our lock (only ranged DPS that night :().

Is there something we're missing, or do we just have to suck it up until Blizzard fixes mob pathing and movement?
Doriangray

Re: [10] Grobbulus

Postby Lousiana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 am

Doriangray wrote:Is there something we're missing, or do we just have to suck it up until Blizzard fixes mob pathing and movement?

This. Same issues here. Just very weird docking mechanism or bugged hit box.
Lousiana

Postby Arrthus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:44 am

If you tank him in a circle around the room with the ranged dps in the middle and melee behind or to the side there should be few if any additional oozes.

Make sure to back up a sufficeint distance each time to allow spacing for melee behind him in view of the patches he lets out underneath him.
Arrthus

Postby Doriangray » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

Arrthus wrote:If you tank him in a circle around the room with the ranged dps in the middle and melee behind or to the side there should be few if any additional oozes.

Well, yeah. All the melee dps was behind him, obviously. It was just that sometimes, he took a step forward, then realized "Oh, I went to far, better get back again", turned around, then sprayed the dps and turned back to me. :(
Doriangray

Postby Loras » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Bump for greater justice. EXACTLY the same problem. And they said "You're moving him too fast!" And I was just trying to not let him keep up with me. He makes 1 step that's too big, even behind me, for a second, and then goes back to his previous position, but in that 0.5-1 sec he not-so-rarely sprays and then - BAM - 3,4 oozes. Any suggestion how to deal with this unexplainable moving pattern?
Loras

Postby Kayoto » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 pm

Does anyone else think that Grobbulus in the 10 man is WAY overtuned?

I haven't even had problems with him turning around/spraying people, really, but the frequency at which he casts Mutagen Infection on people sub-30% is aboslutely ridiculous in the 10 man version.

With a brand new guild, and taking a raid with about 4 PUGs and 6 trusted guild members, we cleared Spider Wing, Plague Wing, and DK Wing with relative ease, and 1-shot Patchwerk, but still have yet to down Grobbulus.

I know that you're supposed to burn him down ASAP at 30%, but it's kind of difficult when 2-3 people are constantly running away from the rest of the raid due to the infection, including the (often-encountered) problem of both of your healers (or 2 out of 3 healers) being infected at the same time.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but for the level of content (and especially since I've heard other people describe it as way harder than Sapph, KT, etc.) it definitely seems overtuned.

Does anyone have some advice besides "get better raid DPS" (which, while I recognize is not the best in our current situation, it was sufficient for Patchwerk)?
Kayoto

Postby Koletha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:43 am

Managed to down him almost an hour after our usual raid finishing time last night. I did notice the annoying positioning issues when Grobbulus was being moved, but thankfully we only had a feral druid as melee, the rest of the DPS were all ranged so multiple spawns were rarely an issue. I do agree that he seems ridiculously hard compared to any of the other bosses I've seen so far, but it's nice to have a challenge after the cakewalk that was the Spider Wing and Patchwerk.

Amusing anecdote: our Holy paladin kept exploding in the raid or in their general proximity, we were all roaring at him to stop cleansing/bubbling himself, which he swore he wasn't doing.

After about ten wipes that were in part because of him blowing up and dropping rings in the middle of the room, we discovered that he had 2/2 Pure of Heart, reducing all disease durations by 50%. Cue the facepalms.

I felt a bit bad forcing him to go respec just to remove two points, but it led to sweet victory and got me a sexy new shield :3
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written,
In writing what deserves to be read,
And in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it.
Koletha

Postby Eanin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:15 am

There's something screwy in the WoW AI that has almost all mobs do this. They run through you when you move. It didn't happen in EQ, or in DAoC or even in City of Heroes. I'm not sure it's a bug, but it's a real pain. It's very hard to pull an enemy backwards in WoW.

However, it's a skill you learn. It just takes practice.
Eanin

Postby Targonis » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:20 am

The secret to this is to make sure your walking... if your just moving backwards without turning auto-run off its a lot harder to control where he is facing... hitting / on your number pad turns off your autorun... and he will always be on you, and you're still moving out of clouds fast enough as he drops them. We 1-shot doing it this way 2 weeks in a row, third next week.
Targonis

Postby ShaiHulud » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

Kayoto wrote:Does anyone else think that Grobbulus in the 10 man is WAY overtuned?

I haven't even had problems with him turning around/spraying people, really, but the frequency at which he casts Mutagen Infection on people sub-30% is aboslutely ridiculous in the 10 man version.

With a brand new guild, and taking a raid with about 4 PUGs and 6 trusted guild members, we cleared Spider Wing, Plague Wing, and DK Wing with relative ease, and 1-shot Patchwerk, but still have yet to down Grobbulus.

I know that you're supposed to burn him down ASAP at 30%, but it's kind of difficult when 2-3 people are constantly running away from the rest of the raid due to the infection, including the (often-encountered) problem of both of your healers (or 2 out of 3 healers) being infected at the same time.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but for the level of content (and especially since I've heard other people describe it as way harder than Sapph, KT, etc.) it definitely seems overtuned.

Does anyone have some advice besides "get better raid DPS" (which, while I recognize is not the best in our current situation, it was sufficient for Patchwerk)?

Just sounds like you don't have enough DPS. 30% to 0 goes by pretty quick if everyone saves long cooldowns for it. Our first kill was rough and our DPS was crappy but we got him on like the 5th or 6th try. Went back in this week with a couple different DPS and we killed him before the 2nd turn. The week before we killed him half way to the 3rd turn. Bring a boomkin or shadow priest if you are caster heavy for the extra hit. I noticed a huge improvment in my ret DPS just by having the boomkin there since my hit is still low.
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Postby Warbal » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 am

Kayoto wrote:Does anyone else think that Grobbulus in the 10 man is WAY overtuned?

This is the hardest fight I have encountered in Naxx 10 so far (no sapp, kel or last boss of this wing). The only advice other than dps faster would be to make sure you have all 10 people up heading into sub 30% so the injections are spread over more people.

Several times we headed into sub 30% with only 8 or so people up and everybody pretty much spent the rest of the fight running out and back.
Warbal

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 am

I generally strafe with my back near the wall, so I don't really move back or forward in relation to him. I generally strafe really far to the right, and usually he's kind of slow in responding. When he finally starts moving I strafe back to the left to get him re-centered on me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Panzerdin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:15 am

An option, if you have the DPS, is to leave melee pretending they're ranged and just move yourself, which means it doesn't matter jack what you do because he can either follow you or stay still, and neither is a problem.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Huon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 pm

I put myself on "walk mode" and just keep moving back non stop almost.
Huon

Postby Splug » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 pm

The trick is to keep his movement in a relatively straight line parallel to you. Each move should be a three step process, where you swing up to his side keeping an even distance from his center, then back up to get him to move, then swing back into your tanking position against the wall. The result is that even if he overruns or underruns the move, he does so in a direction that is functionally neutral. The other thing that helps is to drag him further from the wall right after each spray, giving you room to slowly edge away from clouds when you're expecting a spray. You might have to pull melee for a few seconds if he doesn't slimespray for a while, but it saves you risking a spray on the raid.

Code: Select all
0)
DPS
  X

O
1)
DPS
  X O
   o
  o
2)
DPS
  X o o O

3)
-->DPS
  x x X o
       o
      O
X = Grobbulus, O = tank, o = move through here
-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon