Frost resist for tanking Kel Thuzad?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Frost resist for tanking Kel Thuzad?

Postby scytale » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 pm

We killed Kelthuzad two days ago, with me tanking him, no problem with that, easy combat.

But reviewing combat logs, I saw 66% fo the damage were Frost (the single target one, the AOE frostbolt), with a medium damage of each bolt of 7500. The mele damage was only 34%, and the medium strike about 5500.

What do you think about tanking him with the Frost Resist 3 pieces set? I have crafted it for Sapphiron, so I don´t need to spend nothing on it.

I think: "if most of the damage is magic frost, perhaps would be a good idea use the set"

Stupid idea?
Image
scytale
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Postby blish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:00 pm

You don't need any Resist gear for any current content, if you do then there is a issue with your healers.
blish
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby scytale » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:20 pm

I know I don´t really need any res, and I told we killed KT , but I always try to improve, perhaps if I use frost resist we can go with one more dps, to kill him faster...

Only for that, looking for improvement
Image
scytale
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:57 pm

scytale wrote:I know I don´t really need any res, and I told we killed KT , but I always try to improve, perhaps if I use frost resist we can go with one more dps, to kill him faster...

Only for that, looking for improvement


Maybe it could, but I don't think that overall the damage change would be huge. The real point of contention for dropping to two healers is the iceblocks and ability to heal through them when one of your healers is in a block.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9671
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby Maihes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Kick his single target frost bolts >.>
Image
Image
Maihes
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Postby blueblood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm

blish wrote:You don't need any Resist gear for any current content, if you do then there is a issue with your healers.


FR gear is help full when killing Sartharion with 3 drakes up if you are off tanking the blazes, it's far from needed, but it's relaxes the healers a bit.
blueblood
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:33 am

Postby knaughty » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Maihes wrote:Kick his single target frost bolts >.>


If 66% of damage taken is frost, a Titansteel bar says your rogues & DPS shamanz fail at interrupting. Frostbolt hits for 15-20k or something. Not enough to one-shot you, but enough to justify a "kick/shock".
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Lousiana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Knaughty wrote:
Maihes wrote:Kick his single target frost bolts >.>


If 66% of damage taken is frost, a Titansteel bar says your rogues & DPS shamanz fail at interrupting. Frostbolt hits for 15-20k or something. Not enough to one-shot you, but enough to justify a "kick/shock".



This. On our kill I took 76% Physical and 23% Frostdamage. No need of frost gear but tough tanking gear,
Lousiana
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 am

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Frostbolt hits for TWENTYFIVETHOUSAND damage after all our damage reduction.

L2kick.

No, seriously, slap your kickers.

Beside, his melees aren't insignificant, still in the order of 7-10k, you don't want to tank him in resist set.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby enbee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 am

I made the melee get an interupt rotation, after our first kill, where I was watching my hp bar yoyo cause of little to no interupts. You take almost no bolts with 3 kickers.

HoJ interupts frostbolt aswell (handy if you want to move him)

The bolts hit much too hard to be ignored, thats for sure, 25k bar resists is 70~% of my/your hp!

But since they can be interupted.. frost res gear is not the answer obviously :)
Image
LoL, a paladin tank!
User avatar
enbee
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:18 am

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 am

Frost Resistance is a viable gearing choice for Kel'Thuzad. In all honesty, your interrupts should probably be better, but feel free to use Frost Resistance.


Also, if you are a prot pally, get the glyph of exorcism. I felt like I was interrupting more of the frost bolts than anyone else at times.

For the rest of you, it sounds like he's referring to 10man KT.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Postby Lore » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 am

I keep an Exorcism glyph handy just for Kel'thuzad
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:47 am

Lore wrote:I keep Improved Hammer of Justice just for Kel'thuzad


Fixd
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 pm

I think the point is that if you slap on a max frost resist set and don't bother with interrupts, you'll take less damage than if you gear normally and interrupt every bolt while also allowing you to bring less melee if you feel like it.

Does he actually spend ALL of his time casting if left uninterrupted? If so this is probably true.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby knaughty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:08 pm

PsiVen wrote:I think the point is that if you slap on a max frost resist set and don't bother with interrupts, you'll take less damage than if you gear normally and interrupt every bolt while also allowing you to bring less melee if you feel like it.

Does he actually spend ALL of his time casting if left uninterrupted? If so this is probably true.

No he does a lot of melee and the occasional frost bolt. Or, at least, that's how it seems.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest