Postby Corman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:01 am

Ok, will limit to avoid tl;dr. <Failed>

Pallytank - Me
2 healers - Shammie and then Priest
DK - dps but w/20k hp?
Lock - guildie
Mage - guildie

H Azjol Nerub.

Wiped 3 times on trash before 1st boss? Healer, who per log didn't heal, leaves.

Replaced with former guildie (who was generally not considered the greatest of healers ). No issues to boss #2. Boss #2, everyone stands in the poison except me. Solo boss last 60K hp by using pot, healthstone, DP, LoH and blowing every dps cd i had (HW, HoW, AS, Exor + normal rotation).

Rez everyone, keep going.

Last boss.

somewhere between 5 and 10 wipes.

healer generally died 1st or 2nd.

only on first or 2nd attempt actually ran out of mana, then I instead started trying to run through AnubArak while popping a CD to help avoid Pound damage.

DK left and was replaced w/2nd pug warlock after 3 attempts.

On one attempt, one person managed to get agg on the adds before me (pug warlock) and I had a hard time getting agg back due to sheer volume of them.

#1 dps: Me :/

Occassionally, yes, with 4 or 5 adds running around, 1 or 2 werent on me, predmoninantly when the poison add enters, bc no one would attack him despite it being pointed out, I'd stun and nuke.

Most wipes came after the 3 submerge (priest would die and then we'd all be like well that's it).

Occassionally got caught in the spikes, especially with many adds it was obscured but most was twice in 1 fight, generally just 1, for me. Others... well , more.

So, is there any strategy that can fix any of these problems? I fail at picking up adds ? Do you all manage to control them perfectly? Is there something I'm missing? Can you reliably run through pound? It seems sometimes he'd turn and catch me anyway.

I think I need more nuke power, personally, as the adds just seemed to be up way too much when I can solo down some of them somewhat fast.

Called it.

Decided maybe I wasn't heroic ready and got a new healer, kept guild lock, grabbed my friend 78 hunter (who outdps's me by 300-500) and pugged an 80 mage.

Roflstomped HoL (first time there for all but healer). Obviously much easier but no issues.
Corman

Postby Xerian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:09 am

To avoid the pound just strafe. works great and you wont turn your back to him :)
But yeah, it's a hard instance.
Xerian

Re: Failure at H Azjol Nerub

Postby Hearthy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:13 am

Corman wrote:So, is there any strategy that can fix any of these problems? I fail at picking up adds ? Do you all manage to control them perfectly?

I wouldn't always worry about controlling the non-elites when elites were coming down the ramp and it didn't seem to be a big problem. The adds are undead, so Holy Wrath is great for giving everybody a bit of breathing room, especially when the venom spitters start coming.

Corman wrote:Can you reliably run through pound? It seems sometimes he'd turn and catch me anyway.

I had read on here that you should run through pound and it wasn't working for me either. I started just backing off and had no problem avoiding every pound that way. It doesn't have much range.
Hearthy

Postby Lightbreak » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 am

Xerian wrote:To avoid the pound just strafe. works great and you wont turn your back to him :)

Strafe! Always.

Turning your back to an enemy and backpedaling are both fail.

Also don't be afraid to slow down. Designate 1 or 2 dps for killing adds ONLY.

I've personally cleared almost every heroic with a 1 tank 2 dps 2 healer setup where I'm doing roughly 45% of the overall dmg. There are very few cases where you have to race down the boss and I believe in this situation add control is far more important.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby samsara » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:47 am

Lightbreak wrote:
Xerian wrote:To avoid the pound just strafe. works great and you wont turn your back to him :)

Strafe! Always.

Turning your back to an enemy and backpedaling are both fail.

Also don't be afraid to slow down. Designate 1 or 2 dps for killing adds ONLY.

I've personally cleared almost every heroic with a 1 tank 2 dps 2 healer setup where I'm doing roughly 45% of the overall dmg. There are very few cases where you have to race down the boss and I believe in this situation add control is far more important.

Hm.. i have not done any heroic with 2 healer. Most of the time lately i just take 3 melee's (1 armswarrior, 1 furywarri/rogue, 1 enc-shaman) and a druidhealer. With this setup its easy to zerg down anything that come's accros us. Did yesterday 4 heroics (gundrac, utgard pin, Azjol, hdz4 timerun) without a whipe. there's nothing better than pure melee dps XD

To do a little competition we do bets on bossdps. The dd with the most dps gets 1gold :) You can't imagine how much 1g is for the ego of a meleedps.

As i don't know your and the EQ of your group ... here are values to compare

Most of the time dps: arms > furry/rogue > shaman

Arms: http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mi ... n/omegajin
Fury: http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mi ... en/Jenator
Rogue: http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mi ... nachthauch
Schaman: http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mi ... den/edalus

Heal: http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mithrilorden/ghorn
Tank (me): http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Der%20Mi ... en/samsara
samsara

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 am

Lots of info here http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=17111

But basicly, on the skirmishers in the beginning, tell everyone to go all out so they die fast, if they charge someone in group stun them with either hammer or holy wrath.

On last boss avoid pound by either strafing or running straight back (he wont hit you in the back since he is casting pound).
When he goes under groud make sure everyone attacks the elites and gets them down as fast as possible, dont bother with the non elites, make the healer stand in your consecration and the non-elites will go for you.
When the venomspitters come use holy wrath and be preparied to use cleanse.
Arcia

Postby Lightbreak » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 am

samsara wrote:Hm.. i have not done any heroic with 2 healer. Most of the time lately i just take 3 melee's

I wasn't advocating running with 2 healers. Only pointing out that a ton of dps isn't "required" for 95% of heroic content.

It's simply what I had on hand from my guild, and I will always bring guildies for emblems/gear before pugging.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby snoweagle » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:30 am

ok spent about 2 hrs wiping and learning and now 1 shot the instance regularly...

1st boss trash: skirmishers are public enemy #1

I personally find tanking just to the left of the stone a good place to start: it's it provides good healer LOS, you wont accidentally pull the next pack, leaves you with a good angle for an easy shield throw at the next pack, to intercept them in the middle, at which point you'll be right in the path of the 3rd pack... The packs wont wait for the previous ones to die so either you can DPS them fast or just be prepared to catch the next pack before they lol through your healer...

hadronox is the same as normal, but the time pressure from the trash is real and you gotta depoison like it matters.

anub arak: the 3 sec cast time is plenty of time to run through him and get turned around before he starts attacking again... Gcooldown is enough time to check for the pound castbar...

Besides that as long as your team is on the same page about how to deal with the adds/mitigate evil poison of evilness, you can get it done...
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 am

I'm going to change the topic title this time, but please read the Announcement first before creating a new thread.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=17114

Thank you.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby unboundarea52 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Ok, sort of has the same problem, in other words this can be a touch instance.

But here we go. DON'T TAKE TWO HEALERS. The burrow phase of the last boss is about DPS, NOT HEALING!

Let a plate wearing or Mail wearing DPS class deal with the non elite adds. They don't hit that hard. Mark the first wave of elites with a skull and focus on that one, rinse and repeat through that wave.

2nd and 3rd wave are tougher, especially the 3rd wave.

Try to DPS one of the non-venom mancers down before the venommancers come down the ramp. Priority then Switches to venommancers. Save Holy wrath for when BOTH of them are down the ramp. Use stun on the firts one as it gets to the bottom of the ramp and then blow ur cooldowns to burn them fast. Rinse and repeat.

3rd wave is tougher because yet again another type of add is introduced. The little bat things that fly around and peck your eyes out. If you have a lock have them seed those little fuckers. Other than that same as wave 2.

People have to learn to avoid spikes. HAVE TO LEARN, in other words if they dont learn kick them. It's not hard, except maybe on the tank because of all the spell effects going off on the ground around us, but even then 95% of the time I don't get hit by one.

Basically it all comes down to killing the venommancers. They suck.
Unbound - Area 52
Prot Pally
unboundarea52

Postby Arjuna » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:34 am

forget the last boss, I can't get past the first!

have been clearing heroics and doing achievements all the day yesterday, found a great and serious group!

But when we came to Azjol...we couldn't even get past the groups before the boss...we wiped all the time, i got blinded, they went for the healer, or they webbed the healer at the same time as something else happened...it was just...frustrating!

a little bit of Halp is needed for me to get past that stupid boss... :(
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Andryana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:51 am

Use some CC, shackle/repentance/trap, always nuke those skirmishers first and try to keep them stunned(hammer+holy wrath) before they are able to fixate on someone.

If someone is getting webbed, the web can be destroyed so tell your DPS'ers to destroy it asap if someone gets it.
Andryana

Postby Zeruvar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 am

also helps if you pull them all the way near the entrance, gives you time to set CC on the next 2 waves. And if you havent yet, grab the a glyph of Turn Evil for one of your major slots. Hving your own CC as an instant cast helps with these undead dungeons.
Zeruvar

Postby Arjuna » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 am

what about the blind? I always seem to get blinded at the wrong times... :P
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Andryana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:22 am

From what i remember when they blind me, they don't drop aggro on me, they just keep attacking and i take unavoidable hits(at least from the watcher).

Nothing you can do there to counter, just heal through it.
Andryana

Next

Return to General Strats