Remove Advertisements

Usefulness of 2.3 changes in for Prot Pallies

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Usefulness of 2.3 changes in for Prot Pallies

Postby Ryladia » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:24 am

Looks like EU Blue posted some changes that Ret pallies are getting in 2.3.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 2435&sid=1

The two that seem most relevant to Prot Pallies are:

# Pursuit of Justice (Retribution) is now 3 ranks and increases movement speed by 5/10/15% and also reduces the chance you'll be hit by spells by 1/2/3%.

Spell damage seem to always be a problem with us, even with Spell Warding. 3% is a pretty low chance though.

# The benefits of Improved Seal of the Crusader (Retribution) have now been implemented in the base spell. This talent now gives the benefits of the Sanctified Crusader talent instead.

So if I'm reading this right, the bonus is now a part of the SotC, so we won't need 3 points to get it. However, we can pick up 3% crit for our entire raid now.

I'm hoping we'll see some good prot changes as well (I would love more health).
Ryladia

Postby Agravaine » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:52 am

Yeah, definitely not nerfs by any stretch, but not really addressing core needs either.

I will probably respec to try new pursuit of justice and to pick up crusade as well.
Agravaine

Postby Ryladia » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah, that blue was posted mostly for Ret pallies. I'm just seeing if there is anything useful for us Prot Pallies that we can gain out of it.
Ryladia

Postby Madmordigan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 pm

Hmm... of PoJ changes, I think I'd really consider trying a 43/18 talent spec out. Lose Reckoning and 1 pt in precision (or bok) for the spell resist and crusade.

Not to mention 15% speed is a sexy side benefit.
Madmordigan

Postby Girard » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Madmordigan wrote:Hmm... of PoJ changes, I think I'd really consider trying a 43/18 talent spec out. Lose Reckoning and 1 pt in precision (or bok) for the spell resist and crusade.

Not to mention 15% speed is a sexy side benefit.

Yup. Almost offsets our lack of a charge ability. I might end up taking my points out of Imp ret aura over it.
Girard

Postby Everlight » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:22 pm

15% ?????

Bloody hell, I'll be sorely tempted to get that.
Everlight

Postby Dreamcrusher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:00 am

Yeah, I'm playing around with specs on the calculator now, still not certain which way I'll go though...

I am -definitely- getting Imp SotC though. It will do even MORE +holy dmg than it is for me right now -AND- give the raid +3% crit. Sign me the f*** up.

Now to get my RL to decide between JoW or +3% raidwide crit...
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby reyia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:22 am

The question is, assuming they don't consolidate the Prot tree any, where are those points coming from?

to get both imp SotC and PoJ, you lose 6 points. The only reasonable place I can see 6 points leaving the prot tree is under percision, and imp 1hspec.

You end up losing a very significant amount of threat gain, to gain threat gain sometimes and 3% raid crit, and PoJ, which is only 7 percent faster than a boar's speed.
reyia

Postby Mateo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:40 am

I think we should all sit on our hands and wait for this next patch to come to full fruition. This thread was linked to the Paladin Forums and while Eyonix was ambiguous in what his reply was specifically towards, I remain optimistic.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... geNo=9#172
Mateo

Postby Everlight » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:28 pm

reyia wrote:You end up losing a very significant amount of threat gain, to gain threat gain sometimes and 3% raid crit, and PoJ, which is only 7 percent faster than a boar's speed.

Ah, but that means you don't need Boar's Speed, meaning you are both faster, avoid more spells, and have 3 more Stamina.

Anyway, I'd dump 2 points in Weapon Expertise and go with 3/5, and 1 point of Spell Warding. Giving me 2% spell damage reduction and 3% spell miss, and 15% run speed.

It's doubtful I'd take Sanctified Crusader over the new PoJ, honestly.
Everlight

Postby Mithos » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:43 am

3% spell resist is a bit lackluster in terms of dropping something more important to get it, it's a bit luck based and remains a PvP talent to me. By all means get it if you are going down the ret tree that far, if you want, the speed increase is nice, but I think losing 3 stamina and getting Boar's speed is a better trade off than losing 3 talent points.

All these changes so far do not address the core issues of retri raid viability - threat. Mana efficiency is also there, but who cares how efficient you are when you aren't in the raid because of your rubbish DPS compared to others as your threat is so damn high. The lack of utility from retri does NOT make up for this huge DPS difference.

On the plus side, these "retri change" help us more than they help retri palas trying to raid :P. Cheaper Exorcism/HoW, baselining Imp JotC, and hell some prot palas will be wlaking around with Sanctified Crusader now, why even bother bringing a ret pala. Blizzard infact just downgraded retri palas chances of getting a raid slot imo :\, which is sad, because I would much like it to be more than "barely viable", wtb sanc aura + 2 judgements always up on the mob.
Mithos

Postby Tiandelin » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:51 am

mithoss wrote:On the plus side, these "retri change" help us more than they help retri palas trying to raid :P. Cheaper Exorcism/HoW, baselining Imp JotC, and hell some prot palas will be wlaking around with Sanctified Crusader now, why even bother bringing a ret pala. Blizzard infact just downgraded retri palas chances of getting a raid slot imo :\, which is sad, because I would much like it to be more than "barely viable", wtb sanc aura + 2 judgements always up on the mob.

The crusader change is nice, and I'll probably be picking it up myself since our ret pally is only on raids maybe half the time. But you're right about it making ret even less useful, since now we'll get the benefit even if our ret pally isn't around. Sad indeed.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Livyan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 am

*Comes out of an endless amount of lurking, broken sig and all..*

Didn't they say they were going to move Precision to Ret? Or am I just tired? =p

*Goes lurk again*
Livyan

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:03 am

Livyan wrote:*Comes out of an endless amount of lurking, broken sig and all..*

Didn't they say they were going to move Precision to Ret? Or am I just tired? =p

*Goes lurk again*

LIVYAN!!!! COME BACK!!!!!

/asslickin'

I'm not sure. I just wanted to troll a thread. Sorry. *ducks out*
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Everlight » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Livyan wrote:Didn't they say they were going to move Precision to Ret? Or am I just tired? =p

If Blizzard does that, many chairs will be thrown, Steve Ballmer style.
Everlight

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations