Remove Advertisements

Please forgive a stupid raid comp question

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Please forgive a stupid raid comp question

Postby Maridian » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 pm

And this is stupid, I apologize.

The background is: With the dungeon changes (and gear differences) in WOTLK, our guild may consider attempting to recruit to get up to 25-man levels. Being as I'm the know-it-all, the task of composition recommendations will fall to me. That being said, all my efforts -- reading strategies, looking up guides, reading wowwiki and even here -- run into one problems: raid composition is so elementary, no one even talks about it. It's assumed that it's known!

From what I've read, I pieced out that the minimum requirements for a 25-man (in general) are 2 tanks, 1 offtank, and 6-7 healers. This tends to vary situationally by encounter, obviously, but these are the bases.

That being said, what should I recommend in terms of tanks? We have, at the present, 2 tanks. Presumably we would want to recruit 1 more specific tank in case someone is missing or can't make it; do we want to attempt to recruit an additional full tank, or can we make do with an DPS stepping temporarily into tank mode for that offtank position? I simply don't have enough experience, and haven't been able to gather enough information, about the actual tanking requirements we're expected to encounter -- again, in general.

This isn't immediate, but I want to be prepared to advise, and to understand what I should suggest. (The perils of being the ambitious initiative-taker...)
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Postby PsiVen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:48 pm

I'm not sure what this means for your specific setup, but I would recommend having either:

- 2 full tanks and 1 part-timer who enjoys speccing for DPS
- 3 regular MTs, 2 of which enjoy speccing for DPS

But that only works if you're talking 100% attendance. You will likely want a couple of full-time DPS that enjoy speccing to tank, or at least a full tank who doesn't mind sitting out of a lot of 25-mans.

Odds are with the addition of DKs, a lack of tanks won't be your problem.

Also: Naxxramas is not Sunwell. You can and might as well bring 3 tanks to every single fight, rather than have them respec for a tiny bit more DPS. None of the encounters have any sort of damage requirement that cannot be met by learning how to do the fight properly, and having melee with huge health pools only helps the stability of learning attempts.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Maridian » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks for the information. :) That helps me a great deal.
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Return to General Strats