Remove Advertisements

[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby amh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:07 am

I think the clue is to kill the drakes before Sartharion, yes.

Had a go last night on 10man with one drake. Figured the shadow-drake would be the easiest.. Got my ass kicked :| I honestly believe this has got to be easier on heroic, since you have a bit more freedom with raid composition.

Whenever fire-elementals spawned I had some serious issues picking them up without spinning the drake around. The shadow-breath hit me for 7-8k (no res-gear, only priest-buff) in addition to the elementals I picked up / got misdirected to me. Add downtime on healing because of wave-running, and you start to feel very squishy.

The drakes themselves are stronger than when you fight them alone. They gain about 200k HP, and damage done increases slightly. To prepare for fighting the drake along with Sartharion we didn´t move anyone down in the portal realm, to see if we could handle the adds when they phase into the "real" realm. This was easy enough on solo-drake. Tried the same when fighting Sartharion, and got mugged, basicly. The number of adds seemed to double, and they spawn so far from each other that it´s impossible to pick them up with a single consecration.

All those portal-adds + fire elementals is a LOT of raid-damage. After burning them down the drake was still at 90%.. :| This is gonna take a lot of work.

I´d love to do this on heroic instead.

MT with a bit of fire-res gear for when the fire-drake is up
OT with normal gear for fire-elementals
OT with a little shadow-res gear for the shadow-drake
OT with normal gear for the reduced HP-drake

And oh so much dps to burn them down in time.. :/
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Dem » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:10 am

This is the new ZA timed run. Will take some gearing up imo.
Dem

Postby Joanadark » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 am

Yes, you kill the drakes before sarth during the course of the encounter.
You also need heavy group stacking, with 3 geared prot tanks bring best, and 3 healers.

Hard mode is significantly more difficult on 10-man than on 25.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby amh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 am

Joanadark wrote:Hard mode is significantly more difficult on 10-man than on 25.

Definitely looks like it. Will do a few attempt with one drake up each week, I think, just to get the feel of it. Probably end up doing it on heroic before we´ll have a reasonable chance of doing it on normal.

Any idea if anyone´s done 3 drakes on normal? That would be huge.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Tieran » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Joanadark wrote:
Hard mode is significantly more difficult on 10-man than on 25.

this

Compared to hard more on 25 1 drake up is NOT fun.

I think the way vodka did it was to have the mini boss and sarph positioned in totally different places - either end of the lava patch. This allows the melee another *gap* so to speak so they dont get pwnt by the fire wall.

WTB confirmation - do the debuffs wear off if you kill the sub boss or are they there for the whole encounter?
Tieran

Postby Splug » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Tieran wrote:WTB confirmation - do the debuffs wear off if you kill the sub boss or are they there for the whole encounter?
The drake debuffs fade when the source drake dies.

Every drake you kill gives Sartharian a +25% haste, +25% physical damage buff.

Sartharian keeps his +health buff after drakes die.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Scrawn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am

With 3 drakes up do multiple portals spawn at once or is it still only 1

eg

When the portal opens can all DPS pile in without worrying that another portal is opening straight away or do i need to split my DPS team
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Postby Mex » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 am

Basically the idea is, drake one lands, and you burn it down with hero, ignoring the one portal. If it spawns a second, you generally wipe. You OT the whelps and aoe em down as the second drake lands. Then you start DPS on the second drake, and take portals as they appear to kill adds.

In the vodka vid, I noticed that they burnt the add in the second drake's first portal to 10% then left it, and waited for the third drake to land and open a portal, then killed both adds, effectively finishing off two portals at once.

Then they simply killed the second drake, taking portals as they spawned, then the third, then finished off the boss.
Mex

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 am

We gave this about five solid attempts on 10 man with one drake up (the drake on the left, Vesperon?). It was a bitch and we couldn't pull it off but we had a couple fail people in the raid too so we have room to improve.

Vesp would land at roughly 60% health the main boss. Unfortunately Vesp isn't targetable until she lands too (I like to setup my focus macros, etc). I was to pick up all the adds and tank Vesp.

The challenging part for me was to pick up the adds while making sure not to turn Vesp on the raid. Also, dps would start in on the adds before I had sufficient agro and they'd stay out of range. So there were all kinds of problems we have to resolve.

We had dps go down to kill the add in the portal. And we couldn't find a good balance where we had enough for the adds upstairs but also enough to kill the add downstairs. It seemed real easy to get an unlucky 3 adds spawning upstairs while everyone was down. And they'd get too big.

Also, avoiding the firewalls with adds and Vesp while not getting people flames is annoying. Finally, the little red spots on the floor due to the add are the finaly straw that makes it feel like a giant mess.

1. Pick up adds.
2. Don't get people flamed.
3. Dodge the firewalls.
4. Dodge the red spots.

Individually nothing I listed is hard. But when they all need to happen at once it gets real easy to miss an add and a healer dies.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Tieran » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

If you want to kill 1 drake on 10 man your best bet would probably be to kill Vesperon and shadron and leave Tenebron for the fight.

This is just IMO but being able to nuke Tenebron to near death in a BL ignoring the portal etc makes it a lot easier.

We are saving our kill for attempts on 2/3 adds but this is how we would do it if we were only trying for 1 add.
Tieran

Postby Splug » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:37 am

The drakes land according to a pre-scripted timer. Tenebron at X seconds in, then Shadron Y seconds into the fight, then Vespiron Z seconds into the fight. The landing-time offsets are fixed, whether other drakes are alive or not. Thus for a two-drake run, killing Shadron in advance will give you the largest window to pound Tenebron into the floor before help arrives.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 am

I suspect you won't have the DPS if you bring 3 tanks. You should be able to tank two drakes at once without much issue though -- just make the Sarth MT help with adds. Careful positioning of healers will make it pretty easy for pickups.

Hopefully we'll have some shots at the 25-man version this week.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Bliss » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 am

A bear or a dps DK might allow you to have the extra tank and maintain dps...but even that's iffy
Bliss

Postby fafhrd » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Tieran wrote:If you want to kill 1 drake on 10 man your best bet would probably be to kill Vesperon and shadron and leave Tenebron for the fight.

This is just IMO but being able to nuke Tenebron to near death in a BL ignoring the portal etc makes it a lot easier.

We are saving our kill for attempts on 2/3 adds but this is how we would do it if we were only trying for 1 add.

We were trying 10 man with Tenebron up, it was still wildly harder than on 25 man >.>. We just weren't getting him down quickly enough, but were trying with 2 tanks (geared prot warrior on sarth + tenebron, and somewhat undergeared feral on adds).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Cakes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:51 am

So we decided to go in tonight and give 2 drakes up a shot, and were pleasantly surprised at the difficulty. We decided to get rid if Shadron and deal with the other two, Tenebron and Vesperon. Our best attempt was Tenebron dead, whelps cleared, and Vesperon at 19% when the raid ate it, which suggests that we could have killed Sarth with two drakes up with a bit more effort. The major challenges so far have been positioning and awareness related, so I'm fairly confident we can do 2 next week.

We're going to need to change our raid comp for 3 drakes, as I just don't see how it's going to be possible with just 2 prot tanks. Maybe squeeze by with a DK that changes presences for certain parts of the fight (we had a ret pally sword and board to help with whelps) and clean up adds as well as a hunter with a tank type pet.
Cakes

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon