[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Postby amh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:22 am

Anyone done him on normal with drakes up? If so, how? After facerolling normal and heroic with zero adds, we thought we should give it a shot on normal with some drakes up.

I guess the question is: do you tank the drake-adds?

Here´s how we do it with 0 drakes:

MT is pretty stationary, just moves into safe-zone 2 when he has to.
Melee moves to safe-zone 1 when the wave comes from the west.
Ranged moves to safe-zone 2 when the wave comes from the east.
I´m off-tanking this fight, standing with the ranged for easier add-pickup (find your highest hps-healer, drop a consecration on top of him, free adds).

Is this even possible on normal?
You have to get some dps into the portals to smash eggs, correct?
Is there enough time to do both that and kill off the adds upstairs?
The drakes must be tanked (?), is it viable to tank all three drakes and fire-elementals in addition?

Pre-pull positioning:

How I imagine midfight positioning would be:

Anyone done this before? :)

(Yes, I know some of the pics have an extra ranged dps. Not intentional!)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 am

I've been wondering about how to handle the encounter with drakes as well. Do we need to kill the drake during the fight with Sartharian, or offtank it until the end? Also, do they all come down at 75%, or is it one every 25%?

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Promdates » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 pm

They all come, and if you try to kill Sarth first, the drakes will Berserk (the new hard enrage! damn them for changing that)
Promdates

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I must say I'm a bit surprised. I thought the whole point was to kill Sartharion while the drakes were beating on you and summoning portals/void zones. Actually killing the drakes while in combat with Sartharion sounds much easier than killing Sartharion with 3 drakes doing their thing.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:46 pm

sounds to me like the gimmick in this fight (aside from avoiding the lava waves and the enhancements to Sarth himself) is just enduring him while you zerg the drakes down.

I have not tried the fight with even 1 drake up so i might be talking out of my ass though.
Chunes

Postby Splug » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Belloc wrote:I must say I'm a bit surprised. I thought the whole point was to kill Sartharion while the drakes were beating on you and summoning portals/void zones. Actually killing the drakes while in combat with Sartharion sounds much easier than killing Sartharion with 3 drakes doing their thing.
Yeah, that's kinda my take on it too. However, it still seems like this would require three tanks, or at least a fury warrior with a shield for disciples. I presume all three drakes use the same shadow shift? Thus one person could handle all three disciples, one all three drakes, and one on Sartharion? Effectively this becomes Maulgar 4.0, but I don't see it being pretty with 10.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:37 pm

I kind of want to keep them alive :|

http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2051

Guess we'll just have to pull and find out what happens :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Reading the tooltip a bit more closely, you might be allowed to kill them after engaging Sartharion.. Just sucks to blow a week's cooldown to find out.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Ossuary » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:35 pm

You do indeed have to kill them during the fight however this isn't as simple as it seems as with the drakes up the entire raid gets debuffed.

In 25man at least, with three drakes up you will have: +100% fire dmg TAKEN, +100% shadow dmg TAKEN and -25% of YOUR max health.

Drakes come down on a timer so you must have the dps to kill a drake in a short time, having more than 2 drakes up will mean disaster.
Ossuary

Postby amh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Ah sweet, thanks! They still do their portal->eggs thing when you engage them with Sartharion?
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Torakka » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:17 am

Yes they do. Or at least that's what happened when we did 25 man with one drake.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby amh » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 am

Did the drake fly down right away when you engaged Sartharion? I can and will attempt this, but I like to get as much info as possible beforehand :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Torakka » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:01 am

We had that drake in middle (or back) left and he and Sartharion started a little RP chat pretty much right after the pull. Drake didn't come down to us instantly, so we had time to burn Sartharion down to around 85-90% during the time their little conversation and drake's flight took. No idea what happens with more than one drake.

EDIT: And this is from 25 man version. I haven't done 10 man yet, so I can only assume mechanics are same.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby amh » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:52 am

Much appreciated!
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Tieran » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Chunes wrote:sounds to me like the gimmick in this fight (aside from avoiding the lava waves and the enhancements to Sarth himself) is just enduring him while you zerg the drakes down.

I have not tried the fight with even 1 drake up so i might be talking out of my ass though.

With 3 adds this is HARD.

We tried earlier tonight - we decided 1 add was enough tbh and we would try for 2 next week.
Even then we hit some kind of enrage and Sarph went mental and about 100 lava blazes spwnt and got close to wiping us on 0% :P About 9 people lived :)

I think we will look to group up each add with all blazes and potential adds on sarth and AoE as much as possible - BL / CDs saved for the add with the eggs cus they are a PAIN.

I take it the enrage you are talking about on the drakes means a wipe and you cannot loot the boss / get the achievement till all adds are down?
Tieran

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon