Teron Gorefiend

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Teron Gorefiend

Postby dhan619 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 pm

My guild master and I got into a discussion about my performance and was proposing that he may use me to main tank Teron Gorefiend (me being a new recruit to the guild looking for tanks).

I'm wondering if anybody out there has ever tanked Teron Gorefiend before.

This fight looks pretty much straight forward for me. The reason he said he may use me for this fight was because of my ability to maintain insane amounts of threat and this having to be a DPS race with no slacking on the DPS whatsoever.

Hits for about only 6-7k melee and 9-10k crushing... so seems fairly manageable considering that I'm at 14.4kHP unbuffed.
Danielhan
<Grandeur>
Server: Muradin

dhan619

Postby Amran20 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 am

Well, 14.4 should turn into what, close to 20K with BP and Challenging Shout and raid buffs? I'd say you could probably tank him, considering for the MT he's pretty much tank n' spank, as far as I read the strat. I'd say your chances are pretty good.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby enbee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:20 am

I specced ret when we downed gorefiend -_-, He seems pretty tankable by a paladin though. And even though he is a slowhitter him being undead will make up for the HS threatloss, a paladin can probably squeeze out more singletarget tps on here then a warrior, but only just, then again a shieldwall/last stand are really good here, since the healers are put under more&more pressure the longer the fight takes, and the mt being able to need no healing for the last 10% is a huge help.

Anyways, if you're the bestgeared tank in your guild (mainly highest hp/armour/blockvalue !) go for it and gl.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:42 am

Amran20 wrote:Well, 14.4 should turn into what, close to 20K with BP and Challenging Shout and raid buffs? I'd say you could probably tank him, considering for the MT he's pretty much tank n' spank, as far as I read the strat. I'd say your chances are pretty good.

14.4k unbuffed translates to about 19.2k flasked and raidbuffed. But yeah, that should be good for Gorefiend. He definitely hits hard, but if anything the reduced number of parries a paladin tank generates would make up for the HP gap.

It's a toss-up against an equally-geared warrior; on one hand, a warrior can shieldwall the last few % to let your healers keep the raid alive to kill him, but on the other, your threat generation will be easily superior due to Exorcism and should mean that you kill him fast enough to never wish you had shield wall.

Good luck :)
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby enbee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:33 am

PsiVen wrote:
Amran20 wrote:Well, 14.4 should turn into what, close to 20K with BP and Challenging Shout and raid buffs? I'd say you could probably tank him, considering for the MT he's pretty much tank n' spank, as far as I read the strat. I'd say your chances are pretty good.

14.4k unbuffed translates to about 19.2k flasked

Good luck :)

More like 19.8-9k, I have 14657 unbuffed and I end up with 20107 fully raidbuffed
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:53 pm

Yeah, I guess it varies. We have no warlocks with 3/3 Blood Pact and Command usually comes from our MT who is 0/5 Presence. That's about 500 HP; I never hit 20k health until I was at 15k unbuffed.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lansky » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Aetherial wrote:Negativity aside, how can I do this encounter better?

More than health in my eyes, tools like TC/Demo are what paladins lack as MT's. The amount of damage reduction granted over the course of a fight from them are amazing. Between TC/Demo/Sunders/Blood Frenzy warriors are an absolutely amazing physical debuff class even though no one points this out. Not having them up gimps you just like a spriest not using misery gimps caster dps. You can't make up for it, you're just gimped.

If you are grasping at straws I guess you can chain chug ironshield on Teron. That's quite expensive and quite extreme when your warrior shithead guildie could just do his job.
Lansky

Postby Dorvan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:10 pm

I've deleted all the posts relating to one paladin/guild's experience as this is a strategy forum and they offer no strategy insights. Posts offering suggestions on the Teron Gorefiend fight have been left alone.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 am

I'm going to MT him for the first time today...

Just wanted to ask if my stats look good enough or i should push something:
21% dodge
16% parry
31% block
15700 HP (or 15400 if i use the new shield for 1k more armor)
421 spelldamage
16000 armor (or 16800 with the new shield)

All this unbuffed and unflasked.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:10 pm

That should be fine, though I'd recommend trading the 300 hp for 800 armor. If all else is equal, you're looking at dropping your incoming damage 2-3%, which should more than compensate for the hp lost if you crunch out the numbers for effective health. 95%+ of his damage to the tank is physical, so I wouldn't worry about the 300 hp you've lost relative to a shadow bolt or something. Moreover, it's just that much less mana consumed over the course of the fight.

And of course, any time you're tanking something for the first time, especially a heavy frontload boss like Gorefiend, be ready to spam ironshields. I can't see mana being a problem with the amount of melee damage he'll put in (and resulting healing), but I've only ever tanked him with my warrior so I could be wrong.

Good luck! =)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:57 pm

I spammed Ironshields for the whole fight ofc, thats what guildbanks are for :)
I had also ended up by preferring the Illidari Runeshield to the Aldorei Legacy cause of more armor, since i lost just about 400 HP in change of 30 block value and 800 armor.
Raidbuffed i had more than 21k HP so more than enough. Still AD saved me 21 times according to that nice addon.

We got him down to 15%, too bad that then a mage forgot to have the debuff and died midraid :(

The Shadowpriests and the DPS war were amazed by my threat lead and by being able to go fullout from the start. Healers did not complain about heals, except that they pointed out that he hits like a truck (which was already know).
Mana wasn't really a issue, i never got less than 97% mana due to the heavy spam of heals i was receiving, and well, he really hits like a truck, 5-9k regular melee is kinda ouch. I don't even want to imagine what does a crushing do...

Oh well, maybe next reset if our MT allows me to (he wasn't here today)

Thrashs were fun also, we almost ended up with AoEing them down cuz we were bored to CC.

Was it me or this fight looks much like "kill him before he decimates your raid"?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 pm

<deleted>

Don't drink and post
Ancient Chinese wisdom
Last edited by fiorina on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby enbee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm

fiorina wrote:Threat lead is not that positive in this fight. I have no problem to sustain 1500+TPS on him but then there is no way how warriors/druids as offtanks could catch-up which will leads to 15+ debuffs on me and death.

This fight is about having 3 tanks as close as possible in threat so when deaggro happens or when you have 8+ debuffs, next tank should be ready with 0 debuffs and with threat above all DPS'ers.

I always have rather spelldmg gear on him(700+ spelldmg). He hits rather average compared to other bosses, like 4-5k max. 9k sounds like hit with Fel rage. See WWS below.

I let warriors grab initial threat as they have the weakest spike TPS. I am saving AW and destro pot cooldown for emergency situations like 3 consecutive knockbacks, renewed debuffs on offtank etc. When warriors have around 6 debuffs I ask them just to shield block so I can grab aggro.
Same for me, in about 5th debuff I cast just rank1 Holy shield.

For emergency situation have hunters ready to misdirect on tank who need it (let say 10+ debuffs on both OT and 2 knockbacks on MT).
Bubble removes debuffs in case of need. Use BoP to deaggro the tank on purpose when his is about to die from debuffs but you are still unable to grab aggro.

WWS from typical fight: "MT" Jakonales, "OT" Fiorina, Ogarr
http://wowwebstats.com/b5cjoi1wecc3c?a=18

Wrong fight :>
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby fiorina » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:34 pm

enbee wrote:Wrong fight :>

now tell me what the f*ck am I replying to...
ah, I see now, reading 3 tankadin forums at same time ftl
Oh joy, I need some alcohol.

Just ignore it or move it :)

For the Teron, hell yeah... prepare for 13k+ crushing blows with your gear, you'd better pray for a good latency :)
Other than that it's a straightforward fight, Patchwerk of the TBC. E-peen size of DPS guys is measured on this boss :)
HP+dodge are the main stats there for progression fight. Armor as well indeed, but it's not so easy to stack.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Hihi idd i was wondering what Fel Rage was on that fight ;)

However, luckily my latency is always 100-200 ms, i don't get any Crushing Blow since months i think. For sure none today anyway :)

Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Black Temple