[H] Azjol-Nerub

Postby Chunes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:59 am

The group:
Resto Shaman, T6+NRBlues
Ele Shaman, T6+NRBlues
Prot Pally, T6+NRBlues (critcapped 21k)
Lock, T6+NRBlues
Hunter, T6+NRBlues

The first boss is visable almost immediately upon entering the instance (you have to kill a roaming pat consisting of two nerubians, they are doable), but he's standing behind those three packs that come in succession.

After the 6th wipe we decided it was simply not worth our time.

What went wrong:
-Hunter CC is a pain to manage on this encounter due to the nature of having to have the hunter drag one mob over a trap (which i guess they can throw now, which is pretty cool i guess).

-Hunters are necessary at this gear level to manage the Skirmisher mobs. They "frenzy" and are immune to just about everything except damage, couple that with the fact that they drop aggro and randomly target another party member makes for some very unclean deaths.

-Even if you are full T6, these heroics will still punish you. I made the mistake the last couple nights of thinking "eh, it's just a heroic, not like it's a 10man or anything," going by the BC standard. From what i have heard, Naxx10 might actually be easier than these heroics.

What i would suggest:

-If you're a tank, go in with at least 22k hp unbuffed
-Bring two reliable forms of UD cc (Priest shackle, Ret repentence)
-Bring a hunter to tranq shot frenzy, also adds redundancy to CC via traps
-Make sure your healer has a gigantic manapool, he/she's gonna be spamming their biggest heals on you quite a bit
-Make sure your DPS is actually up to the task, gemmed/enchanted etc as if they were raiding.
-CC as much as you can until you get comfortable with the damage levels. on the couple tries where we did make it to the second pack, I ended up tanking all three mobs which was doable, but painful. CC will smooth the process out greatly.

These new heroics are brutal and really should not be trifled with unless your group is highly focused and highly skilled on top of being as geared as possible at this point.
Chunes

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:02 am

The best way to deal with that boss is simply pull the first mini boss to the entrance , gives ya some breathing time
Io.Draco

Postby BigBlueCheese » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Jesus christ is that place difficult. Couldn't get passed the chain pulls before the boss.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Tyaera » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 pm

be careful about saying things like "even if you are full t6".

Tier 6 is good gear still, but not for tanks.

That said, Heroic Azjol is one of the harder heroics.

Heroic Utgarde Keep is a bit easier, as is Heroic Oculus, with the exception of the final boss, who is difficult, but independent of gear.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Invisusira » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Gundrak.

Normal: "Snake boss begins casting shit noone cares about!"
Heroic: "YOU BETTER RUN AWAY LAWL"
Invisusira

Postby VikrumthePally » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 am

Invisusira wrote:Gundrak.

Normal: "Snake boss begins casting shit noone cares about!"
Heroic: "YOU BETTER RUN AWAY LAWL"

Gosh I really really hope they keep it this way and don't nerf it into the ground.
VikrumthePally

Postby Joacimcans » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:07 am

This instance was semi difficult. the first boss i found it easiest to kill the skirmishers first because they are the mobs that enrage they appear to focus someone including non tanks and start beating on them they are taunt immune so the best way i have figured out to deal with them is to stunlock them until they die. I imagine if you have a hunter they can also tranq shot it off.

The last boss is also kind of difficult because on the 2nd(maybe 3rd cant remember) time that he tunnels after you get the standard set of mobs he spawns 2 venom mancers these guys need to be stuned/interupted because they do a poison bolt volley that hits everyone for 3500.
Joacimcans

Postby sanctifico » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:50 am

Setup -
1x Tankadin - Me (20k unbuffed T6/ some NR Blues *530 def :(*) I was using Invunerability pots (3500armour/2min)
2x DK (One blood one UD) (NR Blues)
1x Rogue (T6)
1x Disc Priest (T6)

Krik'thir the Gatewatcher (1st boss)
Kite the first pack back about 50 yards and zerged the caster.
Rogue and I both kept stun for the Fixate.

Killed all three packs this way.
Krik'Thir herself was easy just keeping Consecration down for the spawns until 20% when she enraged and smacked me about for ~9k + every second. (BUBBLEWALL!)

Hadronox

Kill the spawns, and then move way back up to the top of the web, you want to let him/her take out all the patrols and seal the tunnels with his/her webs.

Once the tunnels are sealed, you can grab him/her, just beware that you will need to dispell the poison, AND move from the green stuff on the floor (I made the mistake of thinking it was DK Aoe).

Anub'arak

Just pull, he will submerge every ~20%.

When ever he casts Pounce/pummell (w/e) run away (getting stunned = unmitigated hits = dead tank)

Aside from that, only use consecrate when he's doing his abilites (swarm stuff)

cba with more details its pretty easy, the healer was under geared, as was i, but we managed. and next time he WILL drop my belt!

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Lazaren » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:54 am

Wow, this place is tough...540 cap isn't enough. You need quite a bit of stamina and you definitely need CC. Our problem with having one CC was the timer...the third wave had a caster AND a skirmisher in it, and the lack of CC (all we had was a priest) killed us several times. While you could fear the mob via Turn Evil, that means you aren't hitting your target and you are losing TPS. Coordination is necessary for just the first pull, I'm not to sure about the rest of it since we never got that far.
Lazaren

Postby elson » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:31 am

Did this place the other day. Was 23k+ and critcapped. Damn.. all I can say is it is pretty tightly tuned and there isn't much room for error.

It was pretty managable through the first two bosses though, even managed to survive a double pull of the mobs before the first boss with bubblewall and some amazing healing. The last boss was very difficult for us however so here is what we did to beat it.

(1)Obviosly your going to be running around like mad picking up adds. I used Shor rank 1 a lot for snap threat since its currently not on the same timer as rank 2.

Make sure to get the bigger adds as a priority, as the smaller ones can be picked up via righteous defense if need be. If there are no big adds up, I tried to save Hotr for picking up both small adds at once.

Make sure to have enemy health bars visible. You can press the V key to toggle this on and off.

If you have mana issues during the add phase, switch to seal of wisdom. You should still be able to generate more than enough threat with it while you regen.

(2)Avoid the spikes in the ground, this is one of the biggest issues of the add phase.

(3)Venom spitting adds need to be focused and killed ASAP. Holy wrath is good to interrupt casts, Hoj, whatever your group can do. Fear can also be used liberally here. If these are left to chain cast poison, there will be an aoe stacking debuff that will ruin your group.

Poison cleansing totems, abolish poison, cleanse when you can etc. The poison can't be allowed to stack up.

(4) Rinse/repeat

I had no idea the pound thing could be outranged, I'll keep that in mind next time.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Re: [H] Azjol-Nerub

Postby Noradin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:03 am

Chunes wrote:-Hunters are necessary at this gear level to manage the Skirmisher mobs. They "frenzy" and are immune to just about everything except damage, couple that with the fact that they drop aggro and randomly target another party member makes for some very unclean deaths.

They are not, we just lost our ret the first time we did it, afterwards we found they won't change targets if you use DS, Iceblock or HoP.

Maybe non-paladin tanks should have a rogue or hunter but we don't really need one.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Petrus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:48 am

I found my group of mostly naxx and heroic geared raiders couldn't get past the first few groups. We pulled the first group, killed them with no issues, then the second came at us. I attacked, we CC'd, and by the time the CC was down (about 10 seconds at most) the third pull was on us. It was as if the third pull came about 10 seconds after the second pull every time and just overwhelmed us.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Ursula » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:53 am

Petrus wrote:I found my group of mostly naxx and heroic geared raiders couldn't get past the first few groups. We pulled the first group, killed them with no issues, then the second came at us. I attacked, we CC'd, and by the time the CC was down (about 10 seconds at most) the third pull was on us. It was as if the third pull came about 10 seconds after the second pull every time and just overwhelmed us.

Hmm....

This thread made me anxious about running H AN. When we breezed through it with minimal trouble I was quite surprised. It helps to stand further back up the first passage and let the event adds come to you - but the boss will bug out and reset the event if you tank him outside his room.

Second boss was pretty easy as well, make sure to wait until all the spiders she is killing are dead and then initiate combat with her.

Last boss isn't too difficult but there is no room for mistakes like the person earlier said.
We had two pallies to fear the venomancers, stun them, repentance, holy wrath them. They are priority target when they spawn!
Also DPS who stand behind the boss need to run when he starts casting pound - it's not such a difficult task but we wiped a few times because they were too slow and died instantly.
Ursula

Postby 2ndNin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:31 am

Ran this last night. We had no cc at all, so this is the "zomg rawr" version.

We had:

Prot Paladin
Shaman Healer
Hunter DPS (low dps)
Feral Bear (as dps)
Mage (cute gnome, cuteness doesn't appear to affect bosses)

First boss, Shield the pack on the left, and run round the corner (LoS), The fights will be hard, order of kills seems to be the caster, the skirmisher then the named watcher each time, keep consecrate up and each pack will come to you. This part is incredibly hard to do, the damage is insane, by preference get a priest and it would be much easier with reliable cc, we tried caster tanking but it was a little iffy.

{First boss}
Tank, spank, seriously if you survived the watcher pulls this guy is a joke. The difficulty in this instance is all in the chain pulls.

From then head onwards, none of the pulls is particularly painful, follow the same trick on the hadronax as the normal version, just kite him out of the green sludge rather than standing in it for extra mana.

Head down, the 2 pull before Anub is insane, they have some kind of AoE DoT, hit hard, by preference CC, else nuke hard and focused since they hit like trucks.

Anub is interesting, the fight isn't vastly different from normal except he pounds (18-22k damage), the trick is basically to keep moving, I found strafing in a circle round the boss continuously worked great, possibly annoying for melee but easy.

When he burrows he summons 2 Guardians, then 2 venomancers, the 2 guardians as the add order (2/4/6 on his burrows). First kill order should be the venomancers as they aoe posion the group for high damage. Kill em, stun em, and cleanse people.

Anun comes back up with aggro, so just start doing the crazy run in circles like a madman thing again and you won't get pounded.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Chunes » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:18 am

small update, after replacing a decent chunk of purple w/ northrend blue, we faceraped AN with no deaths.

It's actually kind of ridiculous how much easier these places are when you are sitting on 26k buffed and uncrittable.

We don't even CC anymore.

Moral of the story: the difference between being on the receiving and giving end of heroic raping is about 3 days of farming gear. BC that difference used to be like 3 weeks.
Chunes

Next

Return to General Strats