Achievement: Consumption Junction

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Achievement: Consumption Junction

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I didn't want to post this on the WoWhead page because I'm wanting to be an early Red Proto Drake owner, but I thought I'd help out the Tankadin community with one of the tougher heroic achievements.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2151
    Consumption Junction
    Defeat Trollgore in Drak'Tharon Keep on Heroic Difficulty before Consume reaches ten stacks.
"Consume" is a spell the boss casts on your party members and the attacking trolls that spawn during the encounter as long as they're in his LoS. It stacks, and each buff gives him a 2% damage increase. The normal way of doing it is just making it a DPS race, because it's generally easier to just kill him quickly than organize.

Anyway, for the achievement, you have to kill him before he reaches ten. But he doesn't emote or anything when he's about to do it, so it's tough to tell your group when to leave LoS and such. So, here's what you do. Tank him a little closer to the stairs from the middle of the room (so your DPSers can reach). Your DPSers are up where he is at originally. Like they recommend on WoWhead, they'll kill the trolls immediately so none are ever in his LoS.

The big secret though is to use the addon that I'm always plugging for, CombatAnnounce. After several tries, I discovered he casts a spell called Crush only 2 seconds before he Consumes. Now you can give your party accurate warning to get out of LoS in time without sacrificing DPS, dying due to lack of heals, or confusing everyone.

Just use these rules:
    /tjh rule SPELL_CAST;Trollgore;;Crush;;RW;Get out of LoS!
    /tjh rule SPELL_AURA_APPLIED;;Trollgore;Consume;;PARTY;
The first rule will make a raid warning when he casts this spell (just before consuming) and the second will announce whenever he gets a Consume buff. Explain to your party that it's safe to come out until warned again whenever it shows him getting a Consume buff. It also tracks how many he has.

Using this, I was able to just barely miss getting the achievement by a half-second today with a group of pugs. Tomorrow I think it'll happen for sure. Good luck with yours!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby SmurfZG » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I do not get this to work.. I entered the rule (copy paste), but no raidwarnings came.

edit: t.t, didn't have the /tjh on thing >_>
SmurfZG

Postby Targonis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 am

If you carry a group with a 2300 DPS hunter, a 2100 DPS Enh Sham and a 1900 DPS mage you can kill him long before consumes ever reach 10, even without LoS'ing. I got this achievement yesterday. Just hit him hard and fast, and kill the trolls as they run down the stairs.
Targonis

Postby amh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 am

That´s a very big if at the moment :|
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:54 am

Also, could you make a quick drawing? I can´t quite remember how the chamber looks, so imagining where people should be standing is a bit awkward :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Targonis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am

amh wrote:That´s a very big if at the moment :|

I've found a few really good players pugging, and I have more than enough great ones in my guild that this becomes easier and easier, and as people get geared you'll see them more and more.
Targonis

Postby PsiVen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:49 am

Sent to heroics forum.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 am

Here's what we did for the achievement:

I tanked him right at the bottom of the stairs, with him on the steps still but me standing on flat ground (basically using the railing for LOS). We had one DPS (an enhancement shaman in this case, though it doesn't really matter who) and the healer stay out of LOS until he did the first Consume. Everyone else was going with a full DPS burn on him. As soon as the Consume went out, the enhancement shaman ran out, hit bloodlust, and we hit him hard again.

First consume hit 3 people, gave him 3 stacks.
Second consume hit 4 people, put him at 7 stacks.
He died before the third consume.

Party makeup was me, Enh Sham, Elem Sham, Hunter, Priest. I imagine it would be doable with any group makeup, though Bloodlust definitely makes it a bit easier.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mzi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:43 am

Attempted this the other day using the mod you recomended.

FYI he gets charges if people can attack him through the staircase.

Fury Warrior: "Hai guyz! I canz deeps him still!"
TJH: "Trollgore gains Consume 11"
Mzi

Postby heed » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 am

I just did this achievement.

First I tried your addon, with crush 2 secs before consume. To be honest I don't think the timers on the abilities are related at all. He would consume then crush 2 secs later, and opposite.. my dps we're pretty much out of LoS the entire time.

What I found out was that consume has a 15 sec cooldown. So after he casts it once, people have about 10 secs to dps safely, then go back out. The rest of the group started out of LoS, and ever time he cast consume i would click this macro:

Code: Select all
/sw 10
/script Stopwatch_Play();
/rw === Cast consume, safe for 10 secs! ===
/in 10 /rw === Back out now! ===
heed

Postby Mzi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Just got it tonight, thanks for the advice. Now just to get Azjol-nerub, Violet Hold, and the Oculus drake ones.
Mzi

Postby Janduin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Consume just has a cooldown I thought, maybe 10s or 15s. What we did, is I pull him around and into the alley between the wall and the pillar left of the stairs. He is then behind the pillar, and I am outside such that I can be healed from the direction of the stairs.

Wait for first consumption, then have your dps run in, dps 10 sec, run out, repeat. You have something like 100 seconds to kill him, as the only buff he ever gets is from you. Have one of your dps, preferably a melee like a warrior or rogue, kill the trolls on the stairs.
Janduin

Return to General Strats