Remove Advertisements

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby marsbubble » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:04 am

Ilenus wrote:since the healer couldn't cure the poison off herself and died too quickly).

pallies have a poison dispel too
marsbubble

Postby Ilenus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:14 pm

marsbubble wrote:
Ilenus wrote:since the healer couldn't cure the poison off herself and died too quickly).

pallies have a poison dispel too

Yes, which is why I said 'died too quickly'. I usually cleanse the poison off during that fight and the previous fight with the Jormungar, but this particular time when she died I wasn't able to select her and get the cleanse off in time for whatever reason (I'd assume GCD and trying to not die to a boss that hits like a truck were factors).
Ilenus

Postby Ivytea » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:00 am

For me, what I did was I used my boots nitro boosters to dash down the hall and back, grabbing every add, had my dps lay off until I gathered them, holy wrathed, consecrated. Blew the entire hall of adds away ( they don't hit very hard.) on the way up with everyone, focusing on one group at a time, with less guys up there to worry about was definitely easier.

This burst at the start makes it possible to conserve mana imo. we tried the slow, kill one mob, move up gradually thing.

Didn't work out.

Being comfortable , knowing what I can handle. I did just that.

Oh, and I got the sword, first run =]
Ivytea

Postby Relamun » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:42 am

Proud owner of a single target taunt.
Relamun

Postby Ursula » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:53 am

Relamun wrote:Good video guide of this place over at tankspot
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/41768-utgarde-pinnacle-boss-guide.html

That was very helpful!
Ursula

Postby Sober » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 am

did the gauntlet with a feral in tanking gear so it was skewed. I got my sword but the gauntlet is a nice challenge I want to go back to.

Regarding the fight with Skadi himself, I faced him north, rest of the group south, when he whirlwinds, melee, everyone run out, I run north, he'll likely go south, then taunt him, he starts spinning back my way. If you have a warrior/paladin/druid/DK on the other end you can probably pinball him around as he whirlwinds. Worse case in this strat you'll take 2-3 ticks from him, then back to tank and spank.
Sober

Postby antiy4ho0 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 am

I hate everyone that has the sword! 7 runs no drop! Maybe tommorow.

I do the gauntlet in two pulls. Holy Wraith is really nice for when you get the amount of mobs you want and being able to stun all of them + insta-aggro. I still don't know of a good way to get the adds out of the doorway in the gauntlet. Seems like they're kind of hard to LOS and more often than not they just sit there casting through half of a wall. I try to alternate Excorcism/AS since I think only one ranged mob spawns per wave (either a harpooner or a witch doctor)

I've also been having my group on the south side of the boss and I run to the North. Works really well, just make sure you give yourself enough room so if he actually goes after you you arent eating the entire whirlwind as it kind of hurts.
antiy4ho0

Postby Daenerys » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:22 pm

Only done it once. Did what everyone suggested and ran up the hall gathering up all the adds. It's a big mob at the end but it was doable. Just be careful when the boss lands, he one shotted our resto druid. I set focus to him after and make sure I consecrate as he lands and mash taunt or whatnot to keep it from happening. Other than that, not so tough. No sword.
Daenerys

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Just don't be as suicidal as me, 3 leather melees are NOT good for this boss.

Unless you plan to 2men it with your healer, of course.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Rorshach » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Start the event and stay down at the beginning end and just let the 2-spawn come to you in slow waves. Don't take on any of the mobs that just run up and stand in place. The spawning mobs are the only guys that drop the harpoons anyways. There is always a warrior and the second one is either a caster or a harpooner.

Lets the 2-spawns come to you, have your DPS each get 2 harpoons each, healer and tank do not grab any. Run back into the previous room, wait for you to be out of combat and then everyone run down to the end of the hallway where the harpoon launchers are. Skadi does NOT respawn right away.

Once you are all mana'd up and ready to go have your healer and 2 dps sit on the left side of the doorway (if you are facing it from the hallway) out of LOS of the spawns behind the side pillar. You stand just outside the doorway.

Have someone with blink or sprint or some other speed enhancing movement burst. The trigger person must go and stand in front of Skadi to aggro him, as if you had just walked into the hallway. Proximity from behind will not do it.

All the adds will spawn in the doorway, consecrate, holy wrath and they are yours. DPS and healer peaks out, AOE + heal.

Do NOT pull Skadi on his first run. DPS all the adds down first until you have just the two constant re-spawns, all 3 DPS shoot down Skadi's mount on his second pass.

Kill Skadi. Profit.

So three things in this strat:

1. You get the achievement My Girl Loves To Skadi All The Time

2. You can start fresh with all the adds grouped up and with consecrate/holy wrath definitely aggro'd onto you instead of having to grind your way up there hoping your healer or dps doesn't pull aggro all the while ensuring you aggro the newly spawning adds that seem to run right over your consecrate like it was stone.

3. If your DPS is good you may get the achievement Lodi Dodi We Loves The Skadi
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby Rorshach » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:40 am

Just an update to the above. Yes it does indeed work, even with an undergeared holy priest with only a 13k mana pool. I wasn't actually sure the above would work, its just what I figured would work. But it does :D

Now I just have a few of the difficult ones like Gotta Go and Watch Him Die to finish off.
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby Morza » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:26 am

BigBlueCheese wrote:Just a general note, but Heroics (at least COT and UP) are hard as hell. Wiped so many times. And all that work but didn't reward with the sword.

To be honest i find Heroics easy as hell.Might be that the few healers on my server atm are beasts.As soon as I dinged 80 I did CoT Strat normal and breezed through it so the healer asked if i wanted to try heroic.We breezed through that too (Epoch hunter was a bitch).
Morza

Postby ulushnar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:24 am

Strat's a breeze, it barely feels heroic most of the time, except when you realise you have six minutes left after Epoch Hunter...

With UP, I had a problem with the gauntlet on my first go, but I now realise that's down to group composition. A couple of decent AoE DPS (hell one at a push) and it's a cakewalk.

After that its just a matter of getting people not to hit Ymiron when he has Bane and to run from the shadow orb.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:29 am

Worldie wrote:Unless you plan to 2men it with your healer, of course.

Done and done :(

Had every single cooldown available at the point, so it was ok. Got healed until he finally whirlwinded after me, then i told my healer to go dps. Bubble-wall, potion, health-stone, LoH and the bastard died :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:41 am

And the gauntlet-part is probably the easiest part of the encounter.

gauntlet:

S=start
P=pull
H=hand of freedom
HW=holy wrath
HA=hammer
AS=avenger´s shield

1. run like hell, never stop. no healing, no dps
2. do not consecrate, you´ll need it in a few seconds somewhere else
2. hand of freedom just before the first pack
3. holy wrath the first pack
4. hammer the two mobs behind the first pack
5. avenger´s shield the three mobs at the end
6. bring them all into the doorway, consecrate, gogo aoe

As long as you keep moving - all the time - you will not see any random mob-behavior. The gauntlet is the same every single time, and it´s very easy once you get the hang of it!
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats