Best AoE leveling spot for 70+

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Aleph » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Impervium wrote:I've been keeping the quest and abandoning it after each grind session so I never have to wait.

I'm doing this as well. After spending the night questing, I'll pop over for an hour or so of grinding, mostly to gather cloth for tailoring.
Aleph

Postby guillex » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:27 pm

halabar wrote:My gear is Kara+ (ZA boots, badge chest, guardian belt, etc), weapon is prob the worst (S1 mace or HH sword).

I'm going back tonight or tomorrow with an extra bag empty (was full of ret gear), some spell damage food, 2 PLGs with spikes (3 if I can find a BS that will spike the third), and some kind of oil for the weapon, and a flask.

Seems like once you get it going, with BoS, RF, Jol, DevAura, you can keep going indefinity, at least until the shield breaks, or your fingers cramp up.

Looting is a bit of a problem, since you can't dump the grey items that get auto-looted. Is there an add-on that blocks grey items from being looted?

But I'll def be back again. I hate questing as prot, so this is certainly a viable way to level.

Wonder how far I can get in three hours on a Sat morning?...

I think most of the cash that's going to be generated by this will come from vendor trash, unfortunately.

If you're doing it just for the xp (which I'm not because I'm still trying to get that epic flying mount ... only 3100g away from it and having enough for CWF) you may want to check out Loot Filter 2:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... er-ii.aspx
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby halabar » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Guillex wrote:
I think most of the cash that's going to be generated by this will come from vendor trash, unfortunately.

If you're doing it just for the xp (which I'm not because I'm still trying to get that epic flying mount ... only 3100g away from it and having enough for CWF) you may want to check out Loot Filter 2:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... er-ii.aspx

Hmm.. I'll check that out.

What I might also do is start with 2 individual pieces of frostweave in different stacks so I don't loose frostweave from bags being full with grey items.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Well, got another 500k xp or so, trying for more, but my Mom killed me (hard to answer and keep up the attack/defense), waiting for someone to restart it, so, yes, it still is working....

---

total of about 2 hours, one full level earned (with rested about 2/3 of the way)

total of 2 levels earned there sofar.. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby masterpoobaa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:02 am

Im a rather analytical person, so heres a few pointers ive discovered.

You never actually have to hand in the quest.
If you go into the cave in mechanical form you will triger the quest, the statue talking, ground rumbling and finish the quest - but just dont turn it in. If you want to do it later, just click on the mechanical mounting platform next to the quest giver and it will triger the event again.
Ive had the quest completed but not handed in for a day or so now and can still trigger it.

when triggered there is a large group of dwarves that go to the statue and kneel. aoe-ing these doesnt give any exp, nor can u loot, u have to wait till the upper and lower groups spawn.

NOTE: occasionally for some reason either the upper or lower group doesnt spawn. Not sure why.

IM T4/badge spec, hijal mace and can survive with BoSanc, Ret aura, SoL, JoL quite well. figurine of collossus and darbins enigma trinkets procced if things get dodgey.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Aleph » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 am

Ok here is how this thing works. When the event is triggered, you have to engage the mobs. When the event ends, at least one mob from each group must still be alive. As long as a single mob is alive, the rest will respawn. Since I have the gear for it, I just stand there with devo aura and tab-autoattack with SoL and an occaisional holy shield until the image of the titan disappears. All of these will drop no loot and give no exp.

After the event ends, all the mobs that spawn from then on will give exp and drop loot. The key here is that you must not kill them so fast that they are all dead for more than a few seconds. As long as you let one respawn for the next group before you kill the last one of the current group, the rest will also respawn.

If while you are doing this someone runs by and starts the event, you have to repeat the whole cycle. Any mobs that spawned before the event started will still give exp and loot, but any that spawn during the event will not. You still have to make sure to keep at least one mob alive when the event ends. Also be sure to loot anything you want to loot before the event ends as often (but not always) the event will despawn all corpses, including those with loot.

Hope this clears things up. I've been able to keep it going for almost 2 hours (3 shields worth of durability) and through multiple event triggers without any problems this way.
Aleph

Postby Som0 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:32 am

I can't figure out how you guys actully loot , I've picked a corner at the upper part and they just come at me non stop , but they all stack up on the bodies and I have no way of actully looting.
also sometimes right clicking just turns me and I get pounded on (not that I mind ^^)

By the way I haven't seen anyone actully point this out , but using Holy Light to recover is the way to survive this with weak gear , since only the first 2 hits will lower your cast time (which is usually isn't even noticeable)
Som0

Postby Discus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:14 am

I found 2 ways of looting. First is to stand back so you're not in constant aggro range of the re-spawning mobs. Kill a wave, loot and then move into aggro range of the new spawns - this is a slower way of gaining XP but you get to loot all mobs. The other gamble is you wait to long between spawns and they all go, so you have to hang aorund for the next player to re-start.

The second (which I mostly did) was to wait until you are down to 2/3 mobs and then just start looting away whilst they hit you, keep doing this until they die from your reflective damage and next wave of mobs arrives. Doing this I think I got about 75% looted but the XP gain from a constant stream of mobs is better.

Thanks to all on here I got from 70-74 on these mobs (highly recommend some decent music/radio/spoken word book whilst doing it to keep u sane). I was spared the dire "kill 10 wanglethroop for 5 drops of wanglethroop cloth for grandmasterbloogleburp who'll will bore you senseless with his tedious sub-par lore written by failed sci-fi/fantasy writers"... repeat 2000 times.

Just out of interest - I got loadsa greens and 2 blue boes from this quest. Anyone get an epic boe here or any other world drop? Not seen a single world drop epic boe in our guild yet.
Discus

Postby æ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 am

BlueRaja wrote:
gmanathus wrote:That spot is comical.... I levelled from 70-71 in barely a couple hours. Also, I'm an engineer with like 50 repair bots. I pop one of those suckers right next to me... I can repair/sell loot while im fighting.

LMAO!!!! GENIOUS!!!!!!

Not really. Its obvious to us engineers, and very useful.

I can tell everyone right now that looting the mobs is not worth it unless you are VERY poor. You might make 200g per 2 hours. If youre super lucky find a blue and sell it for 50g. Your exp/hour will drop to half and you will be bored as hell haveing to do this twice as long.

Do yourself a favor and dont loot. Kill them quickly and then go out and make real money in Northrend doing quests or doing professions to make $$.

These mob are faster than questing until they turn grey. I still made nearly 600k/h exp at 77.
æ

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:45 am

Got to disagree with not looting. The frost weave alone will make you several hundreds in gold. 100g/hour sounds a little low when factoring in all the greys, greens and cash. If you have a friendly enchanter you could easily make 10g per green from the DE mats.

Always come to an aoe grind session with completely empty bags.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby CKaz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am

I had some success with my better gear and some work on my games display/internet connection.
Still the wait bites for me (horde and lower server pop/area not busy).

I think it might have been more the lag spikes/latency/client than my iffy gear, as occasionally I wouldnt get heal returns for awhile.
Then I'd get a massive dump of green numbers - but sometimes the delays in between seemed to make me go under.

Or it's just a delay in reporting and had nothing to do with it.
I just know when I bit it, there'd be a lot of bad numbers up w/o the returns I was relying on, lol.

I've gone to Ret to roll some quests over but I might be back.
/me wonders where dual spec is at!
fuzzygeek wrote:Some people have always endeavored to avoid int.
CKaz

Postby Discus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22 am

I can tell everyone right now that looting the mobs is not worth it unless you are VERY poor

I AM very poor :lol:

If you follow method 2 I described above it doesn't slow you down much at all (since you carry on doing reflective damage to the mobs hitting you whilst you auto-loot). For me the click lottery of looting makes a dull task slightly less boring...especially when you see the flash of blue, which I did twice in 2 levels...and you never know...was that blue or purple?! I probably need to get out more :wink:

Dunno what I was making per hour.. but not bad and the golems drop shard thingies and can be mined - most money from the numerous greens and even the greys make a few G each now.
Discus

Question

Postby Nidaknat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Has anyone been banned for using this spot or suspended or talked to by a GM?
Nidaknat

Second Question

Postby Nidaknat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Has anyone been paying close attention to what they are getting for XP per hour at the differnt levels 70-80? I know someone said they weren't getting any xp here at 78 is that confirmed? It sounded like people might still be getting 400k xp at levels 77 and below which is still a decent speed for grinding a level a little over 4 hours.

Nida
Nidaknat

Postby Kelaan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Som0 wrote: I haven't seen anyone actully point this out , but using Holy Light to recover is the way to survive this with weak gear , since only the first 2 hits will lower your cast time (which is usually isn't even noticeable)

Jump down from the upper level, and the mob pathing gives you enough time for 1-2 holy lights. :) Otherwise, the incoming damage (for me) was enough to make casting in place worthless.
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to General