Remove Advertisements

[H] Stratholme

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Stratholme

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am

Split this post from 2ndNin's. Please write any guides in a new topic so that 2ndNin can link to it there. Thanks.

-Guillex

Well ill write a few ...

Heroic Strathome :

Overview : Arguably the easiest instance in game

Has 4 bosses though if ya can get just outside the place where ya fight mal'ganis in 25 mins you can fight a optional boss wich drops a heroic emblem and a bronze max flight speed dragon ( only 1 per kill ) , so this guide is for doing it in 25 mins

Tank REQ : Doesn't realy matter nothing hit like omg ill rape ya hard save for first boss , uncritability is REALY recomended

Healer REQ - The best healer is a druid , no disscusion , you will be moving a lot here and first boss can stunlock your healer and mal'ganis can sleep

DPS REQ - For doing it timed you will need at least naxx geared dps or at least best heroic geared , best group would be

1 Warrior Fury - For Battle shout
1 Enhacnment Shaman - For Windfury and Bloodlust
1 Retri Paladin - For healing on divine storm and replenishment as well as kings
1 Hunter for MDs

How to :

Do the crate thing from Chromie , some are tricky to find so might take a bit but np , after that she will apear near Stratholme entrance , talk to her for Arthas to spawn

After he does his speech talk with him and he will move just inside Stratholme past the entrance , now you can talk with him again, everyone just move to the center of the alley save the hunter who will speak with Arthas w , after he and Mal'ganis have their little speach you will see a counter for 10 waves aswell as Chromie whispering you about the 25 min boss

Now Waves of Undead will spawn at random points the Crier will announce them , you can also know where they Spanwd on the minimap by a white flag there , also zombies will be around the area just do some soft aoe on em they die very fast

Waves Included

Ghouls - 2 Types , normal and devouring who heal when they hit
Crypt Fiends - Ranged and Melee
Necromancers
Abominations
Acolytes ( not elites but do shitload of damage with spells )

Its of the utmost importance to have this kill order : Acolytes , Necros , Fiends , Aboms and Ghouls

After 4 waves Meathook will spawn

Nothing special does quite a bit of damage to tank and throws a tank on a random person ( mostly your healer ) , just Blessing of Sacrifice the guy who gets it and and BoP him if he gets to low

After another 4 waves comes a necro dude , he does shadow bolt , steal flesh and summon ghouls , he is piss easy save for the ghouls who will explode if ya let em alive too much , so nuke em and then nuke him

After necro boss is dead Arthas will tell ya to move to the town hall , its on the North East of Stratholme , talk with him when all are there and he will go in and have a little chat with the people there , who turn out to be Infinite Dragons , they are weak , only the Agens are a problem , nuke em down , after those 3 mobs are dead he will move through the town hall , passing along the way through 3 waves of Infinte dragons , nothing bigge when they spawn they always target Arthas , so you got some time to pick em

After fourth wave a Chrono Lord Apears , he is something akin to bladefist so just spread and you will be fine..

After he dies talk with Arthas again and he will go through a secret passage , follow him and you will wind up at passage full of zombies and some elites , just talk with Arthas and he will lead you , just don't take too many elites , and remmeber the order ! ,Acolytes first !

Halfway through the passage Arthas will stop so you can rest your feet for a while or you can simply pull some mobs to him , either way he will go on

After you finish the passage you reach Market Row , you came from the East , Mal'ganis is to the North and the Timed Event boss is to the South West , go for the timed boss , and just zerg him doesn't do anything special and you get your drake

Now Mal'Ganis , Does Carrion Swarm so turn him , Mindblast for shitload of damage on a random person and Sleep on someone else rather then tank

Mostly just nuke nothing hard

And gz you finished strat heroic!
Io.Draco

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Solid overview, though I think you're somewhat exaggerating the gear requirements. On our first successful run we had me (tank), ret pala with 0 epics, generally crafted/heroic blues, enh shaman with the same, warlock who had dinged 80 30 minutes earlier (5 part t6 but bt rather than swp) and a holy paladin with mostly heroic blues/t6.

Engaged the timed boss with 3 minutes left on the clock, with all the undead trash I ended up with the most damage done overall at about 27%, ret pala just below me, enh shaman 23% or so, lock 22%.

Holy wrath's pretty awesome for getting the waves stuck to you nice and fast.

Your best group has 4 dps ¬_¬.

One thing to note, after the 5th and 10th (boss) waves, you have to stand around and wait a bit for the next wave/scripted sequence to begin. On a previous attempt we got impatient and split up a bit, leading to two dps getting themselves ganked when the next wave spawned on top of them. Just be patient and stick together.
Rhiannon

Postby Maat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 am

Not sure why it was so easy for you. I go into that with 540 defense, 42.9ish% hit chance before holy shield, ~25k hp unbuffed, ~24k armor, mostly ilvl 200 blues and epics, and the melee elites DESTROY me when they enrage. The first abomination boss beats the crap out of me. Chrono Lord will nearly instagib anyone during his whirlwind since it may as well be a fixate.

I took some of the best-geared and skilled players into there and we ran out of time halfway through the road to Mal'ganis.

Not sure why you would consider it "easy".
Maat

Postby Io.Draco » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:54 am

I am exagerating true but , better that then taking it easy :P
Io.Draco

Postby MrDuck » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Maat wrote:Not sure why it was so easy for you. I go into that with 540 defense, 42.9ish% hit chance before holy shield, ~25k hp unbuffed, ~24k armor, mostly ilvl 200 blues and epics, and the melee elites DESTROY me when they enrage. The first abomination boss beats the crap out of me. Chrono Lord will nearly instagib anyone during his whirlwind since it may as well be a fixate.

I took some of the best-geared and skilled players into there and we ran out of time halfway through the road to Mal'ganis.

This... I dunno, i have much lower gear, mostly T5-T6 level epics and some blues i got from levelling, 20k armor 20k hp and crittable (;( ) with 516 defense (missing a bracer ench tho, just got the bracer,won get me to 535 anyways :p), but well, Meathook is doable, but i use shield wall, pots, possibly LoH and stuff. However, i dont really think he's any easy especially when healer gets 2 stuns in a row (if noone else can heal in group, he obviously dies unless i loh him) or so.

2nd boss is sorta easy, so is trash, 3rd boss kills clothies really fast however, im watching party hp, ready to click and press bop quickly (makes me think...does he target these so i could use my ToT BoP macro?), but usually im clicking bop when someone's hp moves, but with my 35ms latency (an i believe fast fingers) he just dies. Didnt wipe on him yet, but he always kills my party members on heroic (k the 1 run i did,but each whirl killed one :P).

Last boss is piss easy, used shadow res aura, party took some damage, had ele shammy dpsing so he healed when resto shammy was sleeping so and we managed really easily. Didnt do the timed boss, but over and over, i don't really think it's just SO easy :\

As i said, i am undergearing it and i know that with my crittability, but even if i dont get a single crit over the boss fight, i can go splat :\
MrDuck

Postby Joanadark » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 am

A note about the timer event:

Basically, upon starting the initial section with the waves, you have 25 minutes (i think) in order to reach the last boss.

With a solid group of DPS that know what they are doing, this timer essentially entails that:
-You do not wipe.
-You chain pull as much as possible.
-You are able to ignore zombies for the most part and just run through them to the next group of elites/boss.

The section with the waves is the part you are capable of saving the most time on because it is at a pace set by you and not by how long Arthas's RP takes. Burn through the waves as fast as managable.

I have completed the timed event successfully both times we tried using the following group make-up:
Prot Warrior
Ret Paladin
Marksman Hunter
Holy Priest
FF Bolt Mage

Having an AOE class helps a great deal because a single Arcane Explosion is enough to wipe out any aggroed Zombies while you direct your attention elsewhere. Make sure you are covering your healer's back.
Holy Wrath works very effectively for wiping out zombies as well, when off cooldown.

Replenishment is also a big factor when using a non-paladin healer, for the sake of increasing speed. At two points during the waves I normally start healing as a ret paladin to give the priest time to drink to half and then take over. Enhance Shaman work well for this too, since mana doesnt matter much for either of us.

Since you are chain pulling, utilize as much damage reduction potential as you can as a party. We would regularly Repentance/Sheep Necromancers standing casting a few yards away on the initial pull of a wave when everything else ran forward into melee. CCing the humanoids works well because your Holy Wrath is not going to hit it. Use Holy Wrath as a great way to interrupt the damage flow by stunning everything. Use Hammer of Justice on stuff that hits you hard. Remember that spell is a spell interrupt too.

Meathook, the first boss, is an abomination and is the hardest hitting thing in the instance, you should save your shield wall for him should he chains your healer (which stuns them), and have your party blow DPS cooldowns to blow him up fast.

In the timed run, as in all speed runs, we have a saying in my guild "Bad shit dies first." Take this rule to heart. If things blow up in a spectacular fashion before they have a chance to come out of a stun, it doesnt matter what big bad nasty nuke of doom they can do. When in doubt, kill stuff with a mana bar.

After blowing your way through the 10 waves, arthas comes up and you will have to talk to him to move into the town hall. In the town hall you fight small groups of infinite dragonflight. Kill caster dragons first, as normal. There are three groups, one at the door, one at the top of the stairs, and a group which will apear in front and in back of you in the entrance to the large room upstairs.
Let Arthas tank stuff if he wants to. He'll be fine. All the less for you to worry about. He shouldnt ever be in serious danger of dying.

By the boss in the town hall your DPS cooldowns from Meathook should all be up again and should be used on him as soon as Arthas is done RPing.

Move through the bookcase and down the secret passage as fast as you can. You should have about 7-8 minutes left at this point in time if you want to make the timer.

Come out of the tunnel into the street where all the buildings area aflame. This is the crunch time of the event, and you should power your way through the mobs in this street, focusing on the Gouls and other elites and just letting zombies die to your AOE class or consecrate and holy wrath. Dont waste Holy Wrath killing zombies, unless you were going to use it anyway. you will need it to allow you to power further down the street and pull a bigger pack while still making the damage intake manageble.
Focus fire effectively. Bad shit dies first.

When you reach the end of the street it will curve around a bend to the left and you will see a dragon guy casting a channeled spell on a smaller dragon guy near a big giant magic looking thing.
The big guy is the timed event boss.

You have to KILL him within the length of the timer, or he will despawn. He should take approximately 2.5-3 minutes to nuke down.

When he dies, he will drop a badge, and also the Bronze Drake, which looks exactly like all the other drakes, but is significantly smaller than the albino drake, with bronze scales and a green mane.

Another thing to note is there is an acheivement for killing 100 zombies in 1 minute.
The way to do this is after you are done clearing the instance, go back to the beginning, turn off all reactive damage, and starting at Market Square Fountain run around proximity aggroing every zombie, run all the way to the other side, into and through the Town Hall, still training zombies, and into the outer street and pick up everything out there. When they are all collected, Holy Wrath.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Kracus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:46 am

Maat wrote:Not sure why it was so easy for you. I go into that with 540 defense, 42.9ish% hit chance before holy shield, ~25k hp unbuffed, ~24k armor, mostly ilvl 200 blues and epics, and the melee elites DESTROY me when they enrage. The first abomination boss beats the crap out of me. Chrono Lord will nearly instagib anyone during his whirlwind since it may as well be a fixate.

Not sure myself, last night was the first time for my group in Heroic and only one of us had done it before. So we didn't do the timed event cause we were still trying to figure out what was going on. The only place that wiped us was the town hall area when Arthas starts moving and you come across the Infinite dragons. The 3rd boss got us as well cause we didn't expect the time warp.

I only died trying to tank all the infinite dragonkin, we switched to sleeping and killing the Hunter mob first. I'm or was -11 to -8 from 102 mark. Holy wrath was my friend.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Re: [H] Stratholme

Postby Deflect » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:05 am

Io.Draco wrote:1 Enhacnment Shaman - For Windfury and Bloodlust

Windfury?
Deflect

Re: [H] Stratholme

Postby gwayne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 am

Deflect wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:1 Enhacnment Shaman - For Windfury and Bloodlust

Windfury?

Personally I thought "1 Warrior Fury - For Battle shout" was better :P People really need to stop thinking in terms of what buffs each class brings. It's the player not the class that makes the difference.

I've not done this on heroic but given the damage meters on my normal runs... The more paladins the better :P
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I think like this

Bloodlust is rape

Resto shaman just sucks here and since I have a melee group , it would be no point to take a elemental

And btw its not about doing it , timed or not , its about getting the best posibile setup for it

Lets not even talk of windfury haste :P
Io.Draco

Postby Jobah » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Maat, you have way better stats than myself and ive put this instance on farm the past 4 days cuz its seriously the easiest heroic out there. Yeah theres some spike damage... only thing i can think of is you have a healer who isnt reacting properly to the spike dmg.

511 def - 21k hp unbuffed, avoidance adds up to 88% and i have yet to die in this instance.
Jobah

Postby Ewige » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:22 pm

A small tip for shamangs: tremor totem breaks Mal'ganis' sleep.

Anybody complete the zombie achievement? Any tips for that?
Ewige

Postby unboundarea52 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:42 am

Some additional information as our guild this this last night for the first time with no experienece or information on the dungeon at all. We had TONS of issues going from second to third boss and couldn't figure out why. Kill the infinite HUNTERS FIRST. If you leave them for last they will rape the tank. They do a stacking buff up to 20x that increases their attack speed by 10% for each stack of it. As soon as we realized it, they became easy mode.

Also heading from the town hall to Mal'Ganis can be difficult depending on how you handle the pulls and whether or not you get the patrols involved with each pull. Arthas tends to get excited a little too much if you let him here, so we found that by pulling the mobs before he takes off to run after them is the bets way, because you end up controlling pulls versus letting him do it. This section isn't THAT hard but that can help.

Other than that we found the bosses to be mind numbingly easy, it was the trash that f'd us, and also not doing any reading on the instance, or having and prior experience there. Then again it was tons of fun trying to learn the dungeon with no prior knowledge.
Unbound - Area 52
Prot Pally
unboundarea52

Postby Dianora » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:09 am

Io.Draco wrote:I think like this

Bloodlust is rape

Resto shaman just sucks here and since I have a melee group , it would be no point to take a elemental

And btw its not about doing it , timed or not , its about getting the best posibile setup for it

Lets not even talk of windfury haste :P

We did ok with a well geared restoration shaman for our time run (first time 3 of us did it). Brain Heal is still OP.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Return to General Strats