Remove Advertisements

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle

Postby Kalakaua » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm

I had the hardest time on Skadi the Ruthless... I found it extremely difficult to pick up the adds coming from the doorway. if I stand in front of it, the harpooners and witch doctors stop outside my consecrate range and kill the healer. If I stand deep inside, I can't pick up the boss when he dismounts. Any tips?
Kalakaua

Postby Rorshach » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Taunt, Avenger's Shield, hit them with HotR as they come out?

Any of those are feasible options.
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby SmurfZG » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Stand outside, use SotR on the melee, alternate AS and exorcism on the ranged. If they are next to eachother use hotr. If any of those fail taunt.
SmurfZG

Postby inthedrops » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:14 pm

It wasn't the easiest fight for me either. I stumbled through it pretty badly. The tips others gave made sense. I just wanted to say that you weren't the only one that felt they had a lot to improve :) At least we completed the achievement for one round though.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby BigBlueCheese » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:49 am

Just a general note, but Heroics (at least COT and UP) are hard as hell. Wiped so many times. And all that work but didn't reward with the sword.
BigBlueCheese

Postby elfjorc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:23 am

As we cleared up I'd keep Consecrate down when addds are running close and Holy Wrath to pick up as they came closer. Once we got to the end, I just waited and exorcised the ranged ones that spawned and hammered the melee stuff onto me. The boss himself was a pain since we were melee heavy, that whirlwind ... ugh.
elfjorc

Postby towelliee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:19 am

Run to end of hallway DI Aunk etc...hall is cleared 4 stay by boss area and one person starts fight all mobs spawn in one spot like 12 of them..concecrate and you win :)
towelliee

Postby Mex » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Have your healer stay out of LoS of the door, so that the mobs have to run into the hallway to get there. Also before the pull, /focus the drake, and when you notice its health low, be ready for the pickup (drop a consecrate where he lands).

I've run Pinnacle the last 5 days in a row, and still no sword, and the one from Gothik went to our warrior :( Still, it's at the point now where I find it to be a very easy instance.

These things generally just take time and practice. The more you run it, the more comfortable you'll get and you'll stop having to react to things and instead start doing stuff pro-actively.
Mex

Postby Helpunot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 am

I have a VERY hard time on this boss. Maybe our strat isn't good, but we are a sunwell guild pre 3.0 and I am very very geared ( not saying this to justify that it should be easy or anything, but we wiped for hours and I finally got pissed and said f it ), crit immune, 25.6k unbuffed and all that jazz. The netting thing is really annoying, consecrate doesn't get a chance to do its job because I am netted every 2 seconds. Is it best to just run to the end of the room and start there? Up to that point I have no problem, once we get to the end of the hallway though all hell breaks loose we get overrun with adds. Our comp was me, a pally healer, 2 hunters and an enh shammy.. Before we went to naxx tonight it was same group comp but had a resto shammy instead. I really don't wanna have to cheat just to get my sword ie: farming the spears and resetting him / running to end of hallway and DI and so forth.
Helpunot

Postby gwayne » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 am

Did this instance last night as our first heroic with no wipes. I don't really see what the problem is personally. The party was geared in mostly normal instance blues; I've still got the Commendation and T6 shoulders but the rest has been replaced on the way to 80.

I'm surprised to hear that people are having real problems here. Did you do this instance on normal difficulty or was this the first time you saw any of the bosses? We've been doing the instances almost as soon as we could get in (first 4 on the first night of WotLK, Draktharon/Gundrak at 72, the rest at 77).

We aoe'd through the trash and although Skadi is quite tricky just take it slowly and concentrate on picking up the adds. The dps can worry about harpoons. If you are going for the achievement first time then good luck to you :)
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 am

Unless something has changed since beta, we found it easiest just to run and meet the mobs coming, AoE them a bit then run again. Generally we were at the end of the hall in two batches.

Then I'd position myself just inside the door where the adds spawned, that way I couldn't get breathed on, and the healer was behind me, so out of LOS of them spawning. The person throwing the harpoons would let me know when to be ready. The only thing we ever had a problem with was that his mount would die when he was too far away and he'd just drop to the ground out of range. We would have to soft reset the instance to try it again.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Tankznspankz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm

just run in
Run back to the previous room
Wait for the mobs to despawn
Run to the end of the gauntlet
Let someone start the event
Cons+Holywrath
?????
Profit
Tankznspankz

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

We had real issues the first time we saw this (went for it on heroic without trying normal), but now it's pretty straight forward. The mobs in the gauntlet didn't seem to hit very hard as long as they were hitting me rather than anyone else - best way seemed for us to be to just charge up and grab most of the gauntlet in one go, rather than trying to kill them a few at a time. Hand of freedom's seeing a lot more use in general in wrath instances than it did in tbc, at least from me, and comes in handy here as well as the mobs hamstring.

As far as picking up the adds as they spawn while you're waiting for your group to harpoon him, they're undead so there's no shortage of abilities you have at your disposal. Exorcism, holy wrath, Hammer, consec, judgement, ShoR, AS.

Once the actual gauntlet part is out the way and the boss is down, this part we found pretty tough actually. Partly cos we were running with 2-3 melee most of the time, and the whirlwind is no joke. While out of habit I initially positioned him with his back to the rest of the group, I found that this tended to screw me over when he whirlwinded as sometimes I was out of range of healer when I really needed heals, if they had to run the opposite direction from me. Now I position him so the group is all to one side of him, and when he whirlwinds I run to that side as well.
Last edited by Rhiannon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiannon

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Double post fail
Last edited by Rhiannon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiannon

Postby Ilenus » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 am

gwayne wrote:Did this instance last night as our first heroic with no wipes. I don't really see what the problem is personally. The party was geared in mostly normal instance blues; I've still got the Commendation and T6 shoulders but the rest has been replaced on the way to 80.

I'm surprised to hear that people are having real problems here. Did you do this instance on normal difficulty or was this the first time you saw any of the bosses? We've been doing the instances almost as soon as we could get in (first 4 on the first night of WotLK, Draktharon/Gundrak at 72, the rest at 77).

We aoe'd through the trash and although Skadi is quite tricky just take it slowly and concentrate on picking up the adds. The dps can worry about harpoons. If you are going for the achievement first time then good luck to you :)

Are you running it as a guild? It's significantly harder to coordinate and get people to figure out what they should do when you're PUG'ing it. If you take too long to shoot down the dragon, the healer starts to run out of mana. Sometimes when the tank is netted it's hard to pick up adds (which is most problematic with the witch doctors) and if the others are not properly positioned then it's easy for adds to damage them a lot. There are lots of little things that can lead to the deaths of players- though it's really only the healer that matters (in the few times I've done this, there always seems to be 1-2 DPS dead by the time or shortly after skadi comes down, though I did manage to finish him off without a healer when he was still at 25% since the healer couldn't cure the poison off herself and died too quickly).
Ilenus

Next

Return to General Strats