Remove Advertisements

[N] Azjol-Nerub Question

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[N] Azjol-Nerub Question

Postby DanimalEQ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:14 pm

So, I attempted this place at 73, having easily smoked through Utgarde Keep and Nexus.

Was me, 73 lock, 73 rogue, 70 priest and 70 dk (dps).

We got past the first set or two of mobs. Then we got to the room with the 3 sets of 3 mobs, and the first boss.

We just couldn't seem to pull it off. I attempted to LoS pull the first set (starting from the left), but no matter how I pulled them, they would always end up ganking our healer (who of course would always stand right in their path during the pull, but I digress).

I'm just wondering, with the caster in this group, what is the best way to pull them? Also, what should the kill order be? I can't remember the names of the mobs, but one of them puts the cocoon of doom on you, which is what caused our first wipe (human racial wouldn't break you out of it even).

Thanks for any help and advice you may have. I'd really like to finish up this instance before I completely out level / gear it.
DanimalEQ

Postby Rom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:37 pm

The first boss encounter is tricky because it is very likely that the healer will pick up aggro from the skirmishers (I think they are in the center and left groups.) They drop aggro shortly after engaged and know who to go after (maybe it is whoever cast the most heals, maybe it is whoever is furthest away....not sure yet). Best way to handle it is mark them before you start the pull. Make sure everyone kills them first. Keep your stun charged and ready: the moment the skirmisher drops aggro on you, hit it with the hammer and continue to burn it down.
Rom

Postby Celles » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:13 pm

What Rom said. I've noticed that the skirmishers like to run around like crazy. I've found it easiest to ignore the standard "don't out-aggro the tank" rule and just beat the fuckers down. First.

If you've got a priest, they can be shackled too. They're all undead, and that can help hack your way through the less aggressive mobs.

Also, I've taken to pulling into the hallway leading into that room. It forces the mobs to group up a little more and gives you a buffer between you and the next mobs as well.
Celles

Postby DanimalEQ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 pm

It seems likely the agro wipe is what got us.

I think I'll have everyone stand behind me in the hall (which they should have been doing to start with :/ ), whip my shield at them, then when they get close to the corner, Holy Wrath to make sure they are on me / under control, and proceed to blow them up.

Thanks guys!
DanimalEQ

Postby Petrus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:08 pm

I always made sure I got it in range of Judgement or within bounce range of Hammer and if nothing else Exorcism on every CD along with Avenger's Shield every time it's up. Didn't cause too many problems, though the healer did die a few times, we made it through.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Skirmishers first target, shadowcasters -> warriors second, guardian third and making sure DDs know how to cut open cocoons got me through that place fine with a party of 71s and 70s.
Take note that the shadowcasters are ranged, running back a bit avenger's shielding them (explain the pull) so they get closer and you can holy wrath + consecrete all three mobs at once should give you enough kickstart aggro that you can focus on the skirmishers. They seem to work by resetting all threat frequently, so constantly hitting them with what I got had them attack me mostly.

Be aware that you may not be able to regen once you pull the first "guardian" (named elite) group, since the other groups get sent in one by one once you killed the first, and you may not get out of combat. Have your group plan accordingly.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:47 pm

Celles wrote:What Rom said. I've noticed that the skirmishers like to run around like crazy. I've found it easiest to ignore the standard "don't out-aggro the tank" rule and just beat the fuckers down. First.

This. The Skirmishers HAVE TO DIE. I think you can stun them; between HoJ and Holy Wrath, you can probably keep them stunned to death. Celles' suggestion to LOS into the hallway is also a great idea... but I also had people stay in my consecrate (or at least the healer). A Death Knight in the party makes caster mobs trivial, too. ;) (And, on Normal, the DK in my party could handle nearly solo-tanking one of the adds with few problems. I expect even a rogue or enhancement shaman could handle a Skirmisher's aggro if they're going all-out.)
Kelaan

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Skirmishers are simple: they do not drop aggro. They fixate on a random target, become immune to taunt for some seconds, charge him, then after the fixate ends they go back to the previous one.

Just a matter of stunning them or bopping their target when they do it.

Heroic skirmishers = RIP cloths.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby berbo2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 am

If you use LoS pull you can also consider using Turn Evil as an option of CC there, specially on skirmisher at start while killing the shadowcasters.
berbo2

Postby Wakeman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 am

ic. I haven't tanked AN yet. (A bit guilty that I have spent most of the time leveling my hunter. :P) When I was doing AN on my hunter, I wondered why the warrior tank could not hold aggro on those two pulls. Healer died at the first pull, so I trapped the skirmisher the second pull.

Otherwise the whole run was smooth.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Zeruvar » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Edit : wrong thread XD meant to post on the heroic thread
Zeruvar

Return to General Strats