Remove Advertisements

Compilation of AOE leveling locations

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Compilation of AOE leveling locations

Postby Neara » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 am

Kelaan wrote:Levels 76+: Mjordin Combatants in NW Icecrown
____ xp/hour (no reported xp intake rate).


Didn't like the spot. They kick you arround (one time they kicked me up a wall and evade-bugged) and the respawn is pretty bad. It's around 2 minutes. so my guess is around 200k XP/h. didn't have the patience to wait for the respawn to kill them all 2 times in a row while measuring the xp/h
Neara
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Postby samoa » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:17 am

Yeah i meant the Black Temple sorry for not be specific, But the mobs i'm referring to is the blood elves duel weilding sword. maybe this vid will help out more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqKAKxL_veE

Still haven't gone out there to try it, So much crap to do work,football etc.. you get my drift.
8)
samoa
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am

Postby amh » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:46 am

I didn´t see this post until you linked it Kelaan, else I would´ve just posted here :) Looks nice!
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Re: Compilation of AOE leveling locations

Postby amh » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:49 am

Neara wrote:
Kelaan wrote:Levels 76+: Mjordin Combatants in NW Icecrown
____ xp/hour (no reported xp intake rate).


Didn't like the spot. They kick you arround (one time they kicked me up a wall and evade-bugged) and the respawn is pretty bad. It's around 2 minutes. so my guess is around 200k XP/h. didn't have the patience to wait for the respawn to kill them all 2 times in a row while measuring the xp/h


This seems a bit weird to me. Was anyone else picking up the mobs as they respawned? When I did this I gathered them all, wedged in nice and cozy on the western wall, and let consecration do its work. When I got out of combat I sat down to eat, mounted up and they were all back up..
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Postby Stilgarr » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:46 am

Guillex wrote:I'd love to test out the Scarlet Onslaught spot ... But I need an XP tracker.


They are good but a little spread out and in the main place there are a couple of casters too.

The big bonus for and BS guys ofc is the Masons drop one of the reinforced cobalt plans. They only use 3 bars to make and can be safely used to around 415, saving a ton of gold and mats.
Image
Stilgarr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:51 am
Location: Leeds UK

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 am

There is a place NE of Icecrown Citadel in Icecrown, that has a bunch of Skeletal Runesmiths and Umbral Brutes. The Brutes have a knockback and I think the skellies have a sunder-like ability, but other than that they are all melee. There is a path going up to the ledge where there are no mobs, so you can land there safely every time.

What I did was put on all my block rating gear (not even close to passive uncrush anymore) including Figurine, which is still OP, mounted with Crusader, and rounded up all mobs. There is a big vase in the NE corner of the platform. Run behind it from the left and you find a place where you can wedge yourself and not get knocked back. Moreover, all mobs will be in your frontal cone. SoL/JoL, use Holy wrath liberally, and use Figurine. I did it crittable, which could be slightly scary a times, but I was able to do a pull every 3 minutes. Each pull was 16K or so XP unrested, which worked out to be ~1% at level 79. At level 79 that is 320K XP/hour. In getting from 45% to 80 I made a couple hundred golds and got ~260 frostweave cloth in less than 3 hours.
Image
Janduin
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Geneva

Postby Fugg » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:44 am

I am lvl 75 right now and just tested the Scarlet Onslaught Spot just north of Naxxramas. The mobs are between lvl 71-73 and spawn in four or five camps. I pulled around 10-14 mobs at once which gave me ~1600xp rested! That would be around 800xp unrested which leads to ~ 8k to 11k xp per pull. One pull with gathering mobs together takes aprox. 3mins (not really sure about that cause i had no stopwatch at that moment). That would lead to around 200k xp/h. But this is a very vague estimation. It really depends on how fast you can do one pull. For example if it takes only 2mins per pull xp/h would increase to 300k xp/h.

I like to add something about questing xp/h. I see all these numbers around 400-500k xp/h. From my point of view questing xp/h is much more fluctuating cause it depends on the class/spec you are playing, how long it takes to do the quests (cause some quests need more time then others) and on how many people are doing the quests at the same time (might be an advantage on just killquests if there is more people from your faction grouping with you but mostly its a disadvantage applied to drop or pickup quests). In addition you have to add the time you move from questgiver to questlocation and back (of course you can lower this by doing a couple of quests in one row but its still there). I am playing on very high populated server. So on nearly every quest that I do I have to wait for some mobs/objects to spawn. This is of course very much lowering my potential as a protpally on doing quests. In comparison aoe grinding is much more constant. So my point on this is that the questing xp/h is very much varying depending on so many factors that you cannot generalize it. Only real measurements with some addon would show your personal questing xp/h, from which you can suggest if aoe grinding or questing is better for you.

I will do some measurements next time i play to give you some data to compare.
Fugg
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 am

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 am

samoa wrote:Yeah i meant the Black Temple sorry for not be specific, But the mobs i'm referring to is the blood elves duel weilding sword. maybe this vid will help out more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqKAKxL_veE

Still haven't gone out there to try it, So much crap to do work,football etc.. you get my drift.
8)

I tried that spot right after I installed WotLK. I got about 16k xp and decided that it wasn't worth it. Quest/instance XP is better on Northrend.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Postby Kelaan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 am

amh wrote:I didn´t see this post until you linked it Kelaan, else I would´ve just posted here :) Looks nice!

I created this post about 3 minutes before I linked it, so no worries. ;)
User avatar
Kelaan
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby Kelaan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am

Fugg wrote:I see all these numbers around 400-500k xp/h. From my point of view questing xp/h is much more fluctuating cause it depends on the class/spec you are playing, how long it takes to do the quests (cause some quests need more time then others) and on how many people are doing the quests at the same time


As ret spec in Borean Tundra, I was getting ~450-500k xp/hour -- as measured by ExperienceFu over the course of an evening (so including downtime like travel). So, this is a spec we all have an option to use (I need to test as prot in ret gear), in a zone that was fairly heavily contested. I went solo, as it seemed to go faster that way.


On topic: After tanking Old Kingdom last night, I tried some of the scourge diggers in Dragonblight. I found it somewhat rough; yes, it seemed fast to kill them all, but I was low on life even with sol/jol. I will farm them for about half an hour tonight and see how they compare, it may just be the shock value of not having an easy stream of iron dwarves to kill. ;)
User avatar
Kelaan
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby ARogers » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:11 pm

How are you guys getting so much XP/hour questing? I only get about 200k/hr

I'm almost 74 now. I've done most of Borean and Fjord.
ARogers
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 pm

Postby Chunes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 pm

ARogers wrote:How are you guys getting so much XP/hour questing? I only get about 200k/hr

I'm almost 74 now. I've done most of Borean and Fjord.


it's really a matter of
a) not doing stupid quests that take too long
b) knowing where the hubs are and traveling efficiently between quests
c) minimizing downtime
d) doing quests at the appropriate level

If you are still in the starter zones at 74 then yeah, your xp/hour is going to be lower. 74 you should be done w/ dragonblight and working through grizzly already.

for the lvl 75+ quests, as ret, you should be at least 350k/hour if not 400.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Postby Kelaan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:24 pm

ARogers wrote:How are you guys getting so much XP/hour questing? I only get about 200k/hr. I'm almost 74 now. I've done most of Borean and Fjord.


I follow Jame's guide at Wow-pro.com (it's free). I end up doing more quests than I normally would, more efficiently, and that means I don't feel rushed. Counterintuitively, I end up spending more time reading quest notes, rather than looking up stuff on wowhead like I used to. I've done the Borean one and it took me through 72 pretty solidly. Instances tended to get me about 200kxp/hour, maybe more... but then we weren't pros at the instance and thus were not farming it optimally.

You can still spend time reading quests and stuff, and I didn't always do stuff in order (I did Coldarra early, as I was already there from an instance run)... Jame just gives a suggested ordering. If you already have Beta experience, or know where the quest hubs are, you might not need his guide... but I find it helps me, as I had none of that prior knowledge.
User avatar
Kelaan
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby amh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:27 am

Suzytincan found another spot in Icecrown on his/her way to Shadow Vault. I think it´s something similar to the undead army at the Front (just outside the Citadel). And yeah, this is a phased area, so you might see mobs randomly exploding whenever someone´s doing the abomination-quests. It´s still a very nice spot if you get it right. No casters :)


Suzytincan wrote:I went to find that spot last night. I didn't quite make it. I'm level 76 and therefore grounded. I'm guessing I could still get over there, but on the way I found another spot.

I don't have coordinates or a picture, but its fairly easy to find. In the middle of the zone is a huge pit. The western end of that was a spot with large numbers of tightly packed undead. No knockbacks... the abominations have a "get over here" ability and there are a couple of easily avoided casters, but that's about it. Everything else appears to be your bog-standard melee mobs.

There's a catch, however. I was occasionally seeing some very strange behavior. Several mobs would suddenly chase after "nothing", then the whole group would explode. In other cases, mobs would turn as if having been agro'd and then be frost nova'd into place, meanwhile "frostfire bolt" debuffs appeared on them.

I'm guessing there are phased quests here and that both myself and the players in another phase were fighting the same mobs. This was generally not an issue, but I suppose it could turn into one. Also, if it is a phased area, the masses of melee undead may not even appear for you depending on whatever triggers the phasing.

TL;DR: Icecrown has a pit in the middle. Lots of melee-only undead mobs on the western end of the pit.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Postby Krazy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:56 am

Janduin wrote:There is a place NE of Icecrown Citadel in Icecrown, that has a bunch of Skeletal Runesmiths and Umbral Brutes. The Brutes have a knockback and I think the skellies have a sunder-like ability, but other than that they are all melee. There is a path going up to the ledge where there are no mobs, so you can land there safely every time.

What I did was put on all my block rating gear (not even close to passive uncrush anymore) including Figurine, which is still OP, mounted with Crusader, and rounded up all mobs. There is a big vase in the NE corner of the platform. Run behind it from the left and you find a place where you can wedge yourself and not get knocked back. Moreover, all mobs will be in your frontal cone. SoL/JoL, use Holy wrath liberally, and use Figurine. I did it crittable, which could be slightly scary a times, but I was able to do a pull every 3 minutes. Each pull was 16K or so XP unrested, which worked out to be ~1% at level 79. At level 79 that is 320K XP/hour. In getting from 45% to 80 I made a couple hundred golds and got ~260 frostweave cloth in less than 3 hours.




This spot rocks! Thanks! I'm already 80 but those guys are super easy to round up and tank down no problem. I get like 1-2 greens per pull to DE as well :-D $$$. Infinite dust is going for 5-6g per on my server so that's a great place to make bank!

The only downside is they respawn so fast I can't even loot them all before aggroing more.
Image
User avatar
Krazy
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?