Tanking with 2 Handers?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking with 2 Handers?

Postby erdirck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:50 pm

I decided to level as ret and heard about people tanking with 2 handers for leveling until 80. I have 3 sets of gear, well 4, (FR set), holy, prot, ret...

Anyway, if I did tank with a 2 hander, what kind of gear should I be wearing? My tank gear obviously but should I be stacking dodge?

Also, wouldn't it just be better as a ret spec to tank in tank gear with a sword and board? How much of a difference is it?
erdirck

Postby Kellann » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Some PvP gear? Gives the uncrit and HP pool along with some inflated armor values...

Honestly if you're doing proper leveled instances as ret in old ret-raid gear you'll be fine, just don't think that you can do outleveled instances like that.

The question at the end of the day though - how much do you like making your healer cry?
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby erdirck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:00 pm

my tank gear is tier 5/ZA/badge gear
erdirck

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:06 pm

The extra mitigation from blocking and the armor is too good to pass up while tanking as ret. The people who are doing it for kicks and it is not recommended as your defualt choice.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby aureon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:25 pm

i wonder why this thread seems to pop up on a regular basis.
basically, you can't lose 6k armor and think you're good to go. and over 75 there's a shiny SHIELD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS!
aureon

Postby Elsie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 pm

aureon wrote:i wonder why this thread seems to pop up on a regular basis.
basically, you can't lose 6k armor and think you're good to go. and over 75 there's a shiny SHIELD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS!

It worked well for kitten recovery in tier 5 content.

I tanked a couple starter dungeons in wotlk as ret in ret gear, but tank is a relative term. Everyone in the party was t6 or better, so stuff kind of died or was stunned before anything happened. Four people doing 1600-2500 dps on non-heroic trash is lulz.
Elsie

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

I've been leveling as full ret spec, and whenever my guildies needed a tank for an instance I would just throw on full protection gear and use my 2h for tanking. Even with absolutely no CC, it didn't give my healers too much trouble. Granted that is full t6 protection gear with a t6 healer behind me...

Once I hit 76 though I started using sword and board to take advantage of ShoR, and I haven't looked back :D
baleogthefierce

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 pm

aureon wrote:i wonder why this thread seems to pop up on a regular basis.

yeah regardless of success 2h tanking in leveling dungeons, there's no way this will fly in 80s and heroics, especially with consistent blocking being such an integral part of paladin damage mitigation
baleogthefierce

Postby caboom » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:30 pm

You absolutely cannot tank with a 2h w/o getting one of these : http://www.wowhead.com/?item=21538

On the most serious note i can come up with atm : just leave it to the damn DKs tanking with a 2h is their thing.
caboom

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 pm

caboom wrote:You absolutely cannot tank with a 2h w/o getting one of these : http://www.wowhead.com/?item=21538

On the most serious note i can come up with atm : just leave it to the damn DKs tanking with a 2h is their thing.

until we get dual-spec from Blizzard, it's my thing too :P
baleogthefierce

Postby Thels » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:24 am

If you're ret specced and didn't hit 75 yet, there's a pretty good chance that you need a 2hander to keep the aggro. These instances are relatively easy enough that it shouldn't be a problem. It's probably much more of a problem if you don't keep the aggro and the mobs start hitting the clothies.

If you take too much damage, try placing repentance on one of the mobs. Be sure to mark it, so nobody else accidentally breaks it. The one additional CC should make up for the extra damage you receive.

On 75+ with SotR you shouldn't have the threat problem anymore, so go Sword and Board all the way.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to WotLK