Remove Advertisements

Northrend 5-mans

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Viycktor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 am

Again, mileage may vary depending upon gear.

Having not played my tankadin since pre 2.4, I've only kept a few Kara pieces and epic BS pieces I managed to craft pre 2.4 and replaced nearly all my blue gear with the cobalt set.

So running UK and Nexus in mostly unenchanted cobalt set, here's my take. Keep in mind I have so far always had a fury warrior in there who's great with her demo shouts (on top of thunderjudge). Also, we didn't read any real strategy before going in... as a result we pretty much cleared every freaking trash pull available in the Nexus...

Utgarde Keep really is an AoE zerg fest provided your group is reasonably adaptable. I honestly went too slow and even at our relatively quick pace I barely remember the first two bosses, the tank and spank with adds (where you have to either HoP or help dps the ice tomb if it's on the healer... or just leave her alone so you can actually take some damage and feel like you're doing something.

Then there's the pair... it seemed like the caster would cast something at a random party member (regardless of aggro), and the warrior would randomly charge someone... can't really remember but that seems right. Kill them together as mentioned.

And Ingvar, the last boss, is easy provided you avoid his cast attack. When he starts his 3-sec or so cast, just run through him (now this may not be acceptable in heroic because there may be a chance he'll immediately do some cone of damage thing after... I'm, not sure) and he won't bother to turn around until he's done; feel free to spin him back around afterwords. That way you can keep wailing on him while he winds up to try to smack the area where you used to be.

The Nexus. We wiped three times, twice on the last boss, and once on the caster.

The Giant-type boss is easy, just avoid the ice on the ground.

The nexus/warp/whatever can be a challenge, but it's straightforward in the sense that you beat on him until he summons some warp thing that does nasty chaining damage. You kill it, go back to boss, repeat until he's dead.

The caster boss is a pain when she splits, there's a fire, a frost, and an arcane version. You have to kill all of them. The arcane one casts polymorph... and for some reason she always did it on me or the healer the 1st time around. The second time around we sheeped the arcane version and just killed the ice->fire->arcane an it was a piece of cake.

The dragon boss can be tough for a group of 70s in average gear. I kited her... I may not have needed to. Can we dodge/block/parry while jumping? But the priest healer had a hard time with taking damage himself (I HoPed him at one point) and keeping everyone else up along with me while dispelling the ice shackle she casts (which do damage and freeze you in place so you take MORE damage). We finally got her when I got liberal with my cleansing (only tough because I haven't gotten my UI back the way it used to be... I need to bind cleanse to one of my many mouse buttons)... though I forgot to bubble wall because of the cleansing and died on literally her last hit. Very fun boss, though more of a challenge for the dps than the tank. Our mage had a tough time with her as well.

I liked the nexus. Very pretty, diverse fights that were interesting and challenging for the gear level they were tuned for. I hit 71 turning in the Nexus quests and got some decent upgrades/sidegrades (though my fury warrior companion grumbled). Halfway to 72 now and interested to see what the next instances are like! These will certainly be fun to come back to on heroic.
Viycktor

Postby Valinora » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 am

Logane wrote:
Valinora wrote:For UT final boss....how do to get out of range of Dark Smash in time?

I have run it 3x, and each time I try to run he gets me still....I sit and watch for the cast bar to start.

I have been using strafe, should I just run through him instead?

What's your ping like? Do you have your castbar up in a place that you can see it? For me, I put my back to the wall he starts up against and tank him there. A simple strafe left when the bar is about 25% full means I will be out of range. You don't need to turn, just strafe. I never get hit.

I think my ping is pretty good. I have tried strafing without turning. Hasn't worked yet. I don't know if I will run again before heroics on not. I think I will try the run through method next time, since once he starts casting he doesn't turn or anything.
Valinora

Postby Tronden » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:58 am

Logane wrote:I just hit Q and start straffing left, it's the cue to the group to move out. Very easy. Tanked at 9k hp (reroll into pally).

Heh. Just an observation - but when you are doing this, aren't you technically QQ'ing? :wink:
Tronden of Runetotem (US)
Guildmaster <Guardians of Azeroth>
Tronden

Postby djlar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Any Old Kingdom Strats? We cannot kill the third boss, spider was doable with all the adds, The second is Moroes 2.0, 3rd is like MgT first boss it builds power with the add it summons to the circle, which we fail to stop, because its random and when we see it move towards the circle it's too late..
djlar

Postby guillex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:16 pm

djlar wrote:Any Old Kingdom Strats? We cannot kill the third boss, spider was doable with all the adds, The second is Moroes 2.0, 3rd is like MgT first boss it builds power with the add it summons to the circle, which we fail to stop, because its random and when we see it move towards the circle it's too late..

Yeeeeahhh... You need to get on those adds like flies on shit. That's really the only mechanic ... That, and don't stand under her when she levs.

Pretty much a zerg on the adds.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Shirak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 pm

I saw this one for the first time last night.

The tactic we used and it went 10x smoother for us was to hit her and when she went to get an add we just stood back. From what I read she does a shockwave after she accepts his "Sacrifice" then pick her up.

She does hit hard, and watch for the lightning. When it gets cast everyone needs to move away from it.

I'm only 72 and in a mix of T4, T5, and a couple pieces of Northrend armor. Our group was me, a 72 holy priest, 71 DK, 74 Hunter 75 Demo lock.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm

daemonym wrote:
Stilgarr wrote:BE Woman - If you get motion sickness go afk ;) Typical caster boss, freezes you in place runs about ect. Also throws up 2 cpoies of herself, cant say i could see the way to tell which to hit to find the real one as was a bit of a zerg on her.

can you just give them a raid marker? sorta like the last boss in the arkatraz when they split up. also are the mirror images worth attacking or do they hit pretty lightly enough to ignore.

-trying to gather as much info on the new zones as i can before going in-

On normal, on my Horde shaman, I just drop my fire elemental when she splits. Makes it much simpler. :D
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Omamori » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:20 am

In Ahn'Kahet: The Old Kingdom, watch out for Shadow Blast from the Spell Flingers. Those hit like a ton of bricks in Normal.

Here are my suggestions for boss fights I know:

Uthgarde Keep:
1st boss: Get your party closer together to break Ice Tombs and ease your time tanking the skeletons. Do note there's an achievement in HC mode that requires you to NOT break any Ice Tombs.

2nd boss: I've found that the caster doesn't have any aggro table. So, you can just nuke him down first and move on to the melee.

3rd boss: Face away from casters and laugh at any melee that gets creamed by Smash.

Nexus:
Magus: Tank, spank and enjoy the ride.

Anomalous: Nuke adds. End.

Tree-shaper: Move left or right to avoid spikes.

Keristraza: Face away from party and move front and back.

Azjol-Nerub:
Gate-keeper: Holy Shield. Shield Slam. Consecrate. AFK.

Hadranoz: Move away from toxic dumps.

Anubarrak: Leave the DPS to take care of the non-elites and tag the Elite mobs that come down the ramp. Watch your mana. Drops a tanking ring in Normal, hence your only reason to run this instance besides for 2 quests.

Ahn'kahet:
Elder: Get your healer to stay within Consecrate to pick up tiny adds and nuke the Elite add when it spawns.

Prince: Unlike the rest of your party, the Fireball does piss all damage. DPS the Prince when he start sucking and bubble out if you're it.

Twilight Cultist: If your party's DPS is made of phail, tell your melee DPS to stay away from her when she's in power-up mode and Bubble Wall.

Faceless One: The mini-bosses cast Dark Smash, which is a ground targeted spell aimed at ranged attackers. If your ranged members are anywhere near competent, tell them to move out of the way when they see a big ball of black coming at them.Kill your party members during Insanity.

Drak'tharon Keep:
Troll Berserker: Nuke and nuke. Not sure how to stop him from Consuming.

Novos: Get your party to the stairs and kill them on the stairs. Let the Necromancer elites come to you. Novos himself is Aran 2.0.

King Dredd: Lots of dots and the big bleeder from SP's Bogstrok boss, i.e. big DoT if not fully healed. Tag him when he's on the other side of his pen to tag all the other raptors.

Prophet: He makes your whole team IMBA. For free. srsly.

Violet Hold:
Generally BM 2.0. There are several portal spawn points, but each are set to summon either a Guardian or an Elite squad. Every 6 portals closed brings a boss, 2 are random and one set.

Random Boss A - Ethereal: He'll summon an arcane ball that does Arcane Nova and a debuff that increases Arcane Damage. It'll be summoned some distance away from him, so just kite him around the room. After some time he'll teleport the whole party next to him and arcane ball.

Random Boss B - Water Elemental: He starts with a bubble that bursts after taking some damage and spawns several tiny water elementals. Kill as many elementals as you can. He'll respawn after a few seconds. Kite him away from his elementals.

Random Boss C - Core Hound: Watch the floor for fire and move out of it. End.

Random Boss D - Voidreaver: Have yet to fight this.

Last boss: As with all dragons, face away from the party. Occasionally she'll teleport the whole party near her in random arrangement and wipe her aggo table. That's it.

----
I began WLK with Badge/Kara gear and found that most of these instances were way shorter than ones in BC, let alone Pre-BC.
Omamori

Postby Talmus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Stilgarr wrote:BE Woman - If you get motion sickness go afk ;) Typical caster boss, freezes you in place runs about ect. Also throws up 2 cpoies of herself, cant say i could see the way to tell which to hit to find the real one as was a bit of a zerg on her.
She also turns into Kael on crack. Similar throwing you up in the air, but omg she does it with passion and it can get very disorientating.

I did Nexus and UK with a pickup group right near release. None of us knew anything about the fights going in and we weren't all that well geared (most of us were playing on secondary/new characters). The BE Caster gave us fits and took us 3 tries to get right and even then it took some creativity with our group. We didn't have any in-combat caster crowd control in the group and we had a druid healer so every time the split happened the tank didn't have time to get agro on all 3 before the ticks from the druid's hot's sent the unagro'd aspects after our healer.

The way we pulled it off was that I (feral dps druid) stacked rejuv/regrowth on the healer right before the split and then started healing touch or whatever the big heal was the moment she split. We just healed through the damage on our main healer and kept them up long enough for the tank to grab agro.

So if you've got a HoT style healer then you've got to watch the transition and make sure to either (a) pick everything up quickly or (b) cc everything quickly before they turn your healer into a grease stain on the floor.

We had heard that we needed to keep moving on the dragon before we went in though...that helped a ton and our tank did the walking backwards tank dance which worked to perfection. Everything else was pretty straightforward other than the last boss in UK since we had no idea that the 13k move was coming and lost all of our melee dps to it. We still won...just with 2/5 characters dead. :lol:
Talmus

Postby dmok » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Talmus wrote:We had heard that we needed to keep moving on the dragon before we went in though...that helped a ton and our tank did the walking backwards tank dance which worked to perfection. Everything else was pretty straightforward other than the last boss in UK since we had no idea that the 13k move was coming and lost all of our melee dps to it. We still won...just with 2/5 characters dead. :lol:

There's an easier way to deal with that dragon.

Jump.

No repositioning, and jumping counts as moving. Just keep your back to a wall so you don't get flung out of your healer's range on the knockbacks, and you're good to go.

Attack. Jump. Attack. Jump.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm

mavfin wrote:
daemonym wrote:

can you just give them a raid marker? sorta like the last boss in the arkatraz when they split up. also are the mirror images worth attacking or do they hit pretty lightly enough to ignore.

-trying to gather as much info on the new zones as i can before going in-

On normal, on my Horde shaman, I just drop my fire elemental when she splits. Makes it much simpler. :D

THIS works wonders I tell you.
Shoju

Postby Ghostshadows » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 am

Here is the run down on the last bosses in Nexus and UK...

Last boss UK - Most of all his damaging attacks are coned out from in front of him so if you face him away from the group and have your melee attack from behind they shouldn't take much if any damage. Make sure you let the casters know that before he does his roar to stop casting, cause if he roars and they are casting it silences them for 6 secs in living form and even longer in undead form. I just tanked this the other night and no one moved for anything until he did his cleave which spins an axe around him that deals out alot of physical damage so when you see that come up everyone is suppose to run away from him but if you have a good healer the tank can stay in like I did and the melee get back until he's done. Other than that he's fairly easy to take down. Let me know if i forgot anything else.

Last boss Nexus - She randomly does a frost dot on the group which you can get rid of by either jumping or moving slightly. The Icey chains she casts on a random person can be dispeled. If Icey chains if left on that person it allows the frost dot to stack up and will kill the person in the end. To keep her from knocking peeps back have the melee stand to her sides and attack. If they stand behind her tail does lots of damage and knocks them back. So pretty much as tank stand in one spot jump every so many secs and have your melee and healer stand to the sides of her and this fight will seem like a cake walk. Let me know if you guys want me to do run down of the other bosses but i just wanted to let everyone know the run down on the bosses giving others a hard time, thanks.
Ghostshadows

Postby BigBlueCheese » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am

Any else started heroics? I did UP and Strat on heroic and goddamn was it painful.

Bosses could like 2, 3 shot me. Dunno how we got through them.

Granted I'm a fresh 80 but figured it would be easier than this.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Harlequina » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 am

Yes you figured it'd be easier :p... So did I. Healers have to be good, plain and simple, and you have to actually use CC on some packs unless you wanna give the healer a heart attack.

We even tried Heroic Strat timed yesterday... 5 minutes too late. And I wasn't pulling slowly or anything... Arthas is a slow poke. Shit hurts alot in there, but that's about it.

To me, Heroic UP is more about controll and awareness than anything else. Seers and necromancers are sorta annoying. Especially necromancers though, but they can be CC'd just fine. Berserkers fear... Nice to have a priest/shaman I guess but you can survive it anyways. A well timed HoJ/Wrath works.

The third boss (and somewhat the second) is abit of a pain. I can't imagine ever pugging that really. No, really, can't. Not the ordinary kind of pug anyways.
Harlequina

Quick thank you

Postby encoded » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Just a quick thank you to everyone that's posted here so far. As a n00b to wow, and tanking as well, some of the posts here have been very very useful.

e.
Gyrnax -- Tankadin
encoded

Previous

Return to General Strats