Remove Advertisements

Two problems while levelling I noticed sofar...

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Two problems while levelling I noticed sofar...

Postby Hebberig » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:46 am

Hi all,

I'm at lvl 73 now and found 2 problems while levelling sofar, which probably most of you found but I still want to know if there's a real solution (or just keep on going with those quests and level more) or I shouldn't 'worry' about it:

1) The incredible lack of any serious tanking gear. All I see is retri and holy stuff with very, very little tanking stuff sprinkled about. Especially weapons are more scare then Baron Rivendare's horsey. Because of this I see my defense drop like a stone after every ding. I found a couple of blue pieces thru quest rewards and instances, but by my calculation my def should be around 510 now and it's not even near that. What about going into an instance and getting critted, should I worry?

2) That last silly point in defense skill! I never seem to get that except when going up a level. It goes pretty fast up when I ding but that last point i never get.
[url=http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alonsus&n=Wahwah]
Hebberig

Postby CountZero » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 am

1) Don't worry abouts crits in normal instances. For gear look at this thread http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=16825

But you are right, I only see crit, crit, crit on the quest rewards.
CountZero
Maintankadonor

Postby Harlequina » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:27 am

Don't worry so much until you're 80. Seriously, don't worry, don't bother, until you hit that point. When you do, it's pretty easy to find out where you can get some proper stuff.

(Though I didn't personally even bother with any instances whatsoever until I hit 80. Don't see the reason. BUT THAT'S ME.)

Argent Crusade honored - legguards, which you can get enough rep for through quests.

Ebon Blade honored - boots, can probably get that rep solely through quests with them aswell.

Wyrmrest Accord honored - cape (very high def), do Oculus and all the Dragonblight quests for it. (atleast)

Saronite Bulwark - shield. Saronite ore is so common it's not even funny by the way. Just ask a miner, he knows. Even titanium isn't rare.

Daunting Handguards - gloves. Requires saronite.

Halls of Stone quest reward - shoulderpads. The only "normal" quest for that instance, and it's found inside.

Ragemane Flipper quest reward - weapon. A Wanted! quest in Zul'drak. Option of three tanking weapons. The axe has the highest amount of def.

etc. etc. etc. Oh and use Dabiri's Enigma at the very least when you begin.

Could always check Zamach's gearlist later.
Harlequina

Postby dextria » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 am

70-76 is pretty much just healing / ret gear and yes it sucks ( had t4 up to 75) but after hitting 77 i went to new areas and got shitloads of great tanking items from quests and rep ( even alot of boe dropped).

if you rly need some upgrades but i doubt it, AH is a great place at my sérver for green / blue tanking items for decent prices.
dextria

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:54 am

Girdle of the Risen Knight looks nice, seems like a decent drop rate from the undead ghouls / aboms in Drak'theron keep (seen 2 in 4 runs so far).

Basically, there isn't a lot of tank gear at all (I upgraded my shoulders to the saronite since I never got T6, but half tempted to go back to my T5, and the saronite bulwark), I went for the Mace rather than the axe, the 7 defense loss is annoying, however the expertise for a Human character is a write off (our 3 expertise for using a mace / sword basically makes up for the expertise on the axe, so the effective raw stats on the sword / mace are much better).

As said above, the rep gear seems good for defense, but don't expect to lose T6 till Naxx basically if you can keep the defense.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Belarkan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 am

Wasn't it already the same during BC ?
Belarkan

Postby ulushnar » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 am

Belarkan wrote:Wasn't it already the same during BC ?

Pretty much. The first decent tanking quest reward I can think of was the tanking boots from the Mana Tombs quest. There certainly wasn't any decent world quest tanking rewards until Nagrand. (Edit: just remembered the Regal Protectorate from HFP, but I suspect that quest was just put in there so that T2/T3 raiders would have some reason not to skip HFP entirely.)

At least this time they've put some decent tanking quest rewards in the first few instances, and there's a nice green craftable set for fresh 70s tanks. Face it, you're unlikely to use a lvl 71 blue drop at level 80 anyway.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Re: Two problems while levelling I noticed sofar...

Postby Neara » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 am

Hebberig wrote:1) The incredible lack of any serious tanking gear. All I see is retri and holy stuff with very, very little tanking stuff sprinkled about. Especially weapons are more scare then Baron Rivendare's horsey. Because of this I see my defense drop like a stone after every ding. I found a couple of blue pieces thru quest rewards and instances, but by my calculation my def should be around 510 now and it's not even near that. What about going into an instance and getting critted, should I worry?

Most mobs hit for 500-1000 in normal instances .. so 2k crit, nothing to worry about.
But there is tank-gear around. Most instances have 1-2 quests that have a Plate-piece with def stats. And there are drops too. Violet Hold for example has 3 tank-pieces (And they all dropt in one run, lucky me :D )
And you get Rings! So many Rings and not enough fingers @_@ :D

2) That last silly point in defense skill! I never seem to get that except when going up a level. It goes pretty fast up when I ding but that last point i never get.

Pull more mobs :D
Neara

Postby Hebberig » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 am

Ulushnar wrote:At least this time they've put some decent tanking quest rewards in the first few instances, and there's a nice green craftable set for fresh 70s tanks. Face it, you're unlikely to use a lvl 71 blue drop at level 80 anyway.

I understand completely that at level 80 the whole thing changes again, but there are a lot of instances before I reach that level and I don't want to get caught with my trousers down by a boss because I'm critable at a certain level :)
Hebberig

Postby Hebberig » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:41 am

Neara wrote:Pull more mobs :D

I try to pull as many mobs as I can get my hands on when doing some fighting on a quest or in an instance but that last skillpoint seems rather elusive. Although that gung ho approach to fighting nearly got me smashed a couple of times as the mobs did much more (undispellable) damage then anticipated, but i've done the corpse run only twice sofar, so i'm not too frightened yet :D
Hebberig

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:28 am

Hebberig wrote:Hi all,

I'm at lvl 73 now and found 2 problems while levelling sofar, which probably most of you found but I still want to know if there's a real solution (or just keep on going with those quests and level more) or I shouldn't 'worry' about it:

1) The incredible lack of any serious tanking gear. All I see is retri and holy stuff with very, very little tanking stuff sprinkled about. Especially weapons are more scare then Baron Rivendare's horsey. Because of this I see my defense drop like a stone after every ding. I found a couple of blue pieces thru quest rewards and instances, but by my calculation my def should be around 510 now and it's not even near that. What about going into an instance and getting critted, should I worry?

On issue #1: Regular instances are designed to be tankable by any tank class with a notion that stam > str for tanking. The mobs hit like a wet noodle, and when overgeared, a leveling instance can be cleared without a healer at all. It's just that easy.

#2: yeah it's like that. The closer to the cap the higher is the "cost" to level it up. That's why, for example, you can get a skillup per hit at 70 with a weapon you never used till it's near 300~ Just keep going. The first instance you make at 80 you'll get that last point.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby caboom » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 am

2 words on the gear issue : BOE CRAFTABLES

Cheap and awesome : http://www.wowhead.com/?search=tempered+saronite ;)
caboom

Postby Solitatis » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 am

I strongly suggest getting some wyrmrest accord rep before level 78, the back from there is quite nice. Also, in serveral of the instances there is nice tanking items as quest rewards.
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby Arjuna » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 am

so it isn't just me that keeps finding green/blue holy gear everywhere...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby guillex » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 am

Arjuna wrote:so it isn't just me that keeps finding green/blue holy gear everywhere...

Nope.

From 70-73, the only blue pieces of tanking gear you're going to find are shoulders, boots, gloves, and a chestpiece.

The chest is a drop from a boss in the Old Kingdom instance (Azjol-Nerub?), and requires 73.

The other 3 are from quests in the Nexus and UK... Oh, and a blue neckpiece, also ... Which I didn't take, in favor of the ret piece, which was beaten out by the Chain of the Tolling Bell, stupid me.

I was talking with Invisusira (who's probably 80 by now, bless his soul!) yesterday on vent while we were grinding, and he was letting me know that I really shouldn't be worried about tanking pieces ... There will be a LOT of tanking quest rewards from 75 onwards.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Return to WotLK