Remove Advertisements

Seal of ......

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Seal of ......

Postby Palpatine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm currently using a the kings defender for a tanking sword, my pally is at level 74 right now and I'm a bit confused. There are 2 things I'm wondering.

1. Stick for the rest of the game with the classic type tanking swords, or move to a weapon with the sickest dps I can find.

2. The real reason for this post, what is now the best seal for tanking, seal of corruption/vengeance, seal of wisdom, or seal of righteous.

I have done some testing, and found my threat to be not so great with seal of wisdom, I also find the AOE dot caused by seal of vengeance to have crap damage (usually ticks for 4 damage) and I have yet to go back and try seal of righteous. Some pallys are telling me seal of blood is the way to go, but I have a sneaking suspicion they have been hitting the crack pipe on that one.

Very grateful for your responses. Thanks.
Palpatine

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Away from the usual "lrn2read" comments, I just have one question to you.

You know that SoV's "4 damage hit" is not exactly all the damage it causes, right?
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 pm

SoV does not tick for 4 damage. That is the bonus damage for hitting a target with 5 stacks on it. The DoT should tick for 100-200. Another bonus to SoV is we you judge the a target with a 5 stack it does 150% the damage of a normal judgement. The new glyph for SoV gives you 10 expertise skill (not rating) for 2.50% fewer dodges and parries.

The real issue for tanking with SoB is that it is a rather large reduction in EH. A 4.5k crit judgement will hit you for 1.5k self inflicted damage. That is enough to kill you if have an unlucky timing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Palpatine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 pm

No, I did not know that the 4 damage it was causing was all the damage it was doing. I do know that when using Hammer of Righteous was releasing the seal on the 3 targets hit by the hammer, if that is what you mean, but, the other seals do that as well. As for reading the posts I looked around for the past couple of days to find the answers to my questions, and found great information on how the seals work, but no one mentioning what was working best for threat or any personal experiences with the change in the seals.

# thanks Majiben, knowing that SoB caused self damage, no matter what kind of threat it generated I was not intrested in using it. Most trash mobs in nexus/utgarde keep are doing little to no damage to me. I would rather the healer focused on the party who may be taking aoe damage than myself. As for the 5 stacks, on the mob itself I do not see anything stacking, I guess that's where I don't understand that seal so well.
Last edited by Palpatine on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palpatine

Postby Flinsy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Well, with seal of righteousness I was doing 2.7k tps but with SoCorr I was doing 3.1k+, so I'll be sticking with SoCorr. Tanking with blood/martyr is golfclap worthy IMO.
Flinsy

Postby Palpatine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 pm

I agree with you there, it's along the same lines as using Shadow Word: Death on Curator while he is Evocating. Good Job.
Palpatine

Postby dmok » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:43 pm

SoV has 3 components to it

1 - Attacking a target with < 5 stack up: Your attacks do no additional damage, but increase the stack size on the target
2- Attacking a target with = 5 stack up: Your attacks do ~5 additional damage, but also refresh the full 5 stack
3 - Doing nothing with > 0 stack up: The dot "ticks" every few seconds for ~200 damage (depending on AP and SP)

It is #3 that you should be paying attention to. When you use Hammer of the Righteous, you are putting point #1 or #2 into effect. Thus, the SoV portion of the HotR is only showing it as "doing" 5 damage or so.

Of course, this entirely counts out the ginormous bonus to judgement damage you get from judging a 5 stack of Vengence.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Palpatine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:46 pm

I do actually believe I am doing it wrong. I'm going to check on that right now actually. Thanks for the break down.
Palpatine

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Palpatine wrote:I do actually believe I am doing it wrong. I'm going to check on that right now actually. Thanks for the break down.
=) Might be the name. The DoT goes under the name of the debuff, which will either be "Holy Vengeance" or "Blood Corruption". Seal of <name> is the name of that minor tick from weapon swings.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to WotLK