Lvl 80s - Where are you?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Lvl 80s - Where are you?

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 am

I know there are a couple lvl 80s that frequent this site. Show yourselves! Nothing to be afraid of.

As you were leveling, what were your favorite zones/instances/quest lines?

How did you do it? Spec? Questing? Instances? Solo? Groups?

What's next? Raiding? Alts? Professions?

Show us the way to the promised land!
Doogiehowser

Postby Dapaladin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 am

Favorite Zone: Stormy Peaks
Favorite Instace: Anub (not the old kingdom)
Favorite Quest Line: The Iron Colossus

I level'd from 70 to about 73 as ret when i just got tired of ret and went back to prot. I would sugest staying ret till at elast 75 though.

Mostly questing did each instace once for the quests then moved on.
Solo
Skipped grizzly hills and most of borean tundra. Didn't finish icecrown before hitting 80.

Pretty much i need to go LW up to 400 so i can make my bracer kits and also i need to grind heroics to prepare for naxx 10 this weekend.
People pugged naxx 25 and Obsidian Sanctuary for server first clears of both instaces.
Dapaladin

Postby Harlequina » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 am

Storm Peaks... The Sons of Hodir line. A must. (well you need it in any single way for the shoulder enchants).

Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning, really nice instances. The Oculus... Sort of.

COT: Stratholme, excellent.

Levelling was fine all over Northrend really. No place in particular for me.

No instances along the way, started doing it all at 80. Just quested as retri when levelling, and also did most group quests solo.

Wrathgate chain was amazing. They need to do more stuff like that.

Also a surprise to see a certain dreadlord in Icecrown...
Harlequina

Postby EvilNuff » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am

80 here, leveled as Ret the entire way questing only, have not yet done an instance (well live at least I did in beta).

Quested: Howling Fjord > Dragonblight > Grizzly Hills > Zul'Drak > Sholazar Basin > Icecrown and some Stormpeaks.

Favorite things:
-Champion of Anguish in ZD...its the new ring of blood do-able pretty easily at 75 and gives a disgustinly good 2h for the level.
-Favorite zone is icecrown. The entire zone phases in sections and it creates an amazing story line.
I really liked the back half of ZD too with the ZA spirits, very cool!

Next up is rep, doing dailies and some pugs while my guild catches up...instancing with them some as well most likely. Trying to decide if I want to go back to prot now or try to pug as Ret for a bit.
EvilNuff

Postby Taragon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am

I 'ret'ed my way from 73 on to deal with pvp and just for general speed. Tanking as ret was no problem all the way to 80.

My favorite zone was Grizzly Hills.

Right now I'm thinking of how I can make 211 defense appear out of thin air without dropping 2000 hp. (patchwerk was rocking our tanks in naxx25 last night) and also what I can skill up on for the engineering helmet.
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby Senador » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 am

Not quite 80 (Halfway through 79 though).

Storm Peaks has been awsome, I loved the whole Sons of Hodir line all the way up to seeing the event with Loken. They whole thing with Freya in Basin was cool too. Wraithgate chain, obviously. The Darkuru chains are nice too.

I also love how they did layering so different things are in different areas depending on which quests you have done. I enjoyed Dragonsblight a bit, though it seemed to drag a bit near the end. Zul'Drak was also really neat; and I normally hate "Troll" zones. "Finished" Fjord, Grizzly Hills, Dragonsblight and Zul'Drak getting their respective achievements, and at about 90/100 for Storm Peaks.

Most of it has been solo grinding, with a handful of instances thrown in (2 UK, 2 AN, 1 TOK, 1 Gundrak, 1 VH), all done as prot.

Next is to finish reps (Sons of Hodir, I'm looking at you!) before the masses get up and there are lines waiting to kill Brittle Elementals or Oils...
Senador

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 am

I enjoyed all the zones that i played in, but i skipped Borean Tundra in favor of HF. Of the zones i quested in, Zul'drak was probably my least favorite and also most time consuming after about the 50th quest, that idiot jaguar god starts making you run back and forth across the entire zone and the quests become much less clustered.

Storm peaks is probably my favorite zone so far (although Icecrown is a close second, only did about half the IC quests before i dinged). Sholazar was also pretty good if you have either herb or mining, you cant walk 10 feet w/o seeing a node. I walked out of there with close to 20 stacks of saronite /lol.

as for quest lines, do the avatar of freya quest line in sholazar, obviously the wrathgate questline in dragonblight, once you get past the goblin quests in storm peaks almost every single quest is part of some quest chain so do them all, Zul'Drak it is essential that you do the ebon hold's quests as they end in a really cool showdown against that really siginificant troll DK whose name i'm forgetting atm, grizzly hills do the quests given by the druid lady in conquest hold -> showdown w/ ursoc (yogg saron lorelol). Those are all the ones i remember being really fun.

As far as how i did it, i was specced ret the entire time, skipped every instance because i had done them all in the beta. I made the mistake of doing all the quests grouped which reduces your xp/hour pretty significantly (about 27k/hour duoing compared to 40k/hr+ soloing).

As for what's next?
Getting JC leveled as high as i can, gearing up for 10mans via heroics and craftables, leveling my priest for a healy alt (not necessarily in that order)
Chunes

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 am

double post is double.
Chunes

Postby Elsie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 am

I didn't really enjoy Grizzly Hills after the first half of it. I ended up with 1 quest... turn in... 1 quest... run across map... etc.

Zul'drak has been my favorite so far, but I'm only lvl 79 and haven't done Storm peaks, basin, or icecrown yet.

You pretty much have to do the grizzly hills (and Drak'theron) stuff to understand the death knight stuff in zul'drak. However, those were also the most annoying.
Elsie

Re: Lvl 80s - Where are you?

Postby Markoh » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:35 am

Doogiehowser wrote:I know there are a couple lvl 80s that frequent this site. Show yourselves! Nothing to be afraid of.

Show us the way to the promised land!

Favorite Zone: Icecrown
Favorite Instance: Gundark
Favorite Quest Line: The Matthias Lehner quest line in IceCrown (BY FAR the best quest line in the game my opnion. Starts with the quest Opportunity on oggrim's hammer for horde) This quest line has so many great moments that are freaking amazing, I just don't want to spoil them for you so do it whenever you can)

I specced ret and just quested, I started out early thursday morning instead of the midnight like everyone else. B/c of that I was able to get out of the starter zones fast enough to get ahead of the crowd. I'm a miner/enchanter and have maxxed mining (rushed it so I can start making titansteel) and am at 443 enchanting (would be maxxed but I bought ah out of mats and still was way short on mats)

For alts I can't decide b/w leveling my shaman, warrior, or dk. I already have a tank at 80 so I might do shaman for something different.
Markoh

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am

I liked the quest density of Zul'Drak and the logical layout.
Gun'drak is essentially 3 trash - boss - 3 trash - boss, of which I am a big fan.
The lorreffic Wrathgate line (complete with cinematic) is pretty amazing.

I did it all as prot; I have yet to actually die while questing. Overall I died three times on the way to 80. Then we started heroics ...
About 5 hours questing, 5 hours of running dungeons to break up the monotony.

Next is badge farming. Picked up Libram of Obstruction ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40707 ) (updated Mother SBV item -- +352 bv), and had a 6k ShoR crit :]

I need to start working on professions -- I have an entire guild bank tab full of enchanting mats from sharding every single quest reward I've gotten.

Also going to start leveling my priest with my wife, I think. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Just started Icecrown last night, and that place is pretty amazing. Storm peaks is also visually amazing. Grizzly Hills is meh and way too flannel filled.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 am

My favorite zone was Shollozar. It gets bonus points for featuring three hour levels, pleasant scenery, and hillarious little critters. I enjoy CoT:Strath, though they need to add a way to skip the lore stall at the start. My favorite quest line is probably the horde stuff up at the farm in Borean Tundra. The goblin sapper squads in Storm Peaks get an honorable mention.

Blood to 76, frost from then to 80. Quest Helper is a very useful mod if your only concern is xp-per-time. It calculates a shortest-path route to clear out and turn in your quest log, and updates dynamically as you move around. There are a few turn-in locations that aren't correct, so reading the quests is still good. The problem is you'll do things in a fairly nonsensical order since you tend to jump from one chain to another randomly, so it's confusing on plot. For instances, I ran it if either A) a guildmate was putting a group together and I was coming to help them, or B) I had every quest for the zone already in my log. Instance runs tend to be slightly less xp/time than questing, but if you have quests in the zone they usually yield about 42k xp a shot, plus a blue reward.

Already wearing a t7 bp, lost the rolls on everything else. Yay for clearing Naxx10 ~5 hours after zoning in. Next goal is to replace the Nexus quest reward shoulders with block value that I'm currently stuck using. After that, enchant/gem some gear and grind heroics, finish up the quests I need rep from in icecrown/storm peaks, and hopefully by then I'll have decided on which professions I want to level so I can do that.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:47 am

All excellent stuff. It's nice to see most people had different favorite zones/quest lines with a few that seem to be staples.

Keep it up! Let us know how life after 80 is and how you progress in the game.

I'm jonesing to have a major gaming session. I'll just live through you guys vicariously if you don't mind.
Doogiehowser

Postby PsiVen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Sholazar Basin was definitely my favorite zone, with Grizzly Hills second. They're both great exp if you know the questlines. I did Ret solo questing the whole way with only a couple random instances.

Icecrown is pretty awesome, but I've only done about half the quests and the exp wasn't that great while I was leveling. They almost seem designed to slow you down, and a couple were so buggy that I left for Storm Peaks after a 10 minute ride on an inoperative bomber.

For instances, I don't really have a favorite. Most of them are pretty cool, but all of them are stupid easy. Heroic Oculus, probably the hardest instance, was challenging the other night and won't be the next time I go because our gear has vastly improved. Bleh.

Last night we finished clearing Naxx10 with about 15 people rotating. Tonight we will hopefully start Naxx25. I've picked up the Thaddius trinket, blacksmithing shield and Libram of Obstruction, as well as the heroic UK sword for now.

As for actual raiding impressions: DPS while tanking has proven to be a significant contribution on standing-still encounters, and despite all the nerfs I often feel like I have to hold back from pulling aggro. I suspect that's due to JoL, and I eagerly await the JoL bug to be hotfixed without repairing our threat output so that I can spew furious vitriol from my pores.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Apox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Favorite zone? I thought Grizzly Hills was really well designed, as well as fast experience. Basin was a close second, especially because of some of the quests towards the end. Although Storm Peaks and Icecrown are amazing zones, they weren't my favorite since everything was really spread out. That got on my nerves since I was really pushing for first 80 paladin on server and missed it by two hours :evil:

Favorite instances? I didn't do them while leveling, but now that I'm 80 I LOVE Culling of Stratholme and Utgarde Pinnacle.

Quest lines? One quest stands out as my favorite by a long shot. I can't even remember the name, but you ride a drake up around the temple of storms in Storm Peaks. You have to jump from drake to drake killing the riders. It strongly reminded me of God of War.

How did I do it? I quested the entire way. I did two instances and only because I had quests there. I specced protection and quested with a feral druid. The last half we had a mage with us too. Also, barely sleeping helped a lot too ;)

Next up? I'm farming a lot of ore for my guild/friends + gearing up as much as possible via crafted gear and heroics so my guild has a solid tank going into raid content. I don't plan to touch an alt until there is absolutely nothing I can do on my main for myself or friends.

--
Apox
Apox

Next

Return to WotLK