Remove Advertisements

WotLK Progression Gear (70-80 gear guide)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Good list, but mark what's Alliance only and what's Horde only. A couple of the pieces in Grizzly Hills, for instance, don't have an associated Horde quest on WoWHead.
Obrimos

Postby Freemount » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:33 am

Obrimos wrote:Good list, but mark what's Alliance only and what's Horde only. A couple of the pieces in Grizzly Hills, for instance, don't have an associated Horde quest on WoWHead.

I'll work on it now.

Also, thanks Spamdrew for those jewelcrafting items, I'll add them now.
Freemount

Postby Archimeades » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Excellent. Allow me to repeat the sticky request.

So am I correct in saying that there are no weapon upgrades until ~74? I was searching on wowhead and found nothing for tanking until then.
Archimeades

Postby Freemount » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Archimeades wrote:Excellent. Allow me to repeat the sticky request.

So am I correct in saying that there are no weapon upgrades until ~74? I was searching on wowhead and found nothing for tanking until then.

Yeah 74 is the earliest. Fantastic weapons when you get them though.
Freemount

Postby dougmcdonald » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 am

I would add this chest item as a quest reward from Zul'Drak, it's easily soloable and I think it might just edge by 75 badge chest out:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41846
dougmcdonald

Postby Hérósimá » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 am

I found a lot of stuff in this link

http://www.shattered-sun.net/plate-tanking-items.php

But it seem to be mostly Crafted and instance drops. not so much quest rewards.
Hérósimá

Postby degre » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:10 am

I havent seen in that list The Violet Hold.

Done yesterday a few runs and I've ended up taking away a nice cape and the legs, there's is also a very nice shield.

http://www.wowhead.com/?zone=4415#normal-drops:0+12+1

As reported above, T6 geared people shouldn't bother, anyone else should go and have a few run, not only there are quite a few nice drops, but Violet Hold is also quite fast and pleasant.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Freemount » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 am

degre wrote:I havent seen in that list The Violet Hold.

Done yesterday a few runs and I've ended up taking away a nice cape and the legs, there's is also a very nice shield.

http://www.wowhead.com/?zone=4415#normal-drops:0+12+1

As reported above, T6 geared people shouldn't bother, anyone else should go and have a few run, not only there are quite a few nice drops, but Violet Hold is also quite fast and pleasant.

Added the Violet Hold gear. I'll hit that instance up tomorrow.
Freemount

Postby Ey3Dman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 am

I ran the Item comparison tool on Wowhead.com and it rates the Gauntlets of the Disturbed Giant (GotDG) from Phase 1 as a better tankadin item than the Handguards of the Sanguine Gladiator (HotSG) listed in Phase 2. The GotDG have a tank score of 27.93, while the HotSG have a tank score of 26.92. The GotDG also rate higher for ret pallys as well (6.94 > 4.33). The Expelling Gauntlets (EG) are a close second with a tank rating of 29.70 and a ret rating of 6.5.

To summarize GotDG > EG > HotSG for tankadins according to Wowhead. Feel free to let me know if anyone is aware of a flaw with that comparison tool.
Ey3Dman

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 am

Prot Paladin weightings on wowhead aren't good - they still rate spellpower and int, and ignore strength completely. At least with he default weight scale, not sure if anyone's come up with good numbers for weightings in the new mechanics.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:29 am

Ey3Dman wrote:Just a note, but I ran the Item comparison tool on Wowhead.com and it rates the Gauntlets of the Disturbed Giant (GotDG) from Phase 1 as a better tankadin item than the Handguards of the Sanguine Gladiator (HotSG) listed in Phase 2. The GotDG have a tank score of 27.93, while the HotSG have a tank score of 26.92. The GotDG also rate higher for ret pallys as well (6.94 > 4.33).
Well all guides must be taken with a grain of salt. Especially this one which aims to show you all your options without any judgement on their quality, just when you're likely to acquire them and from what source.

An example from TBC:

Kara rep ring>TK trash ring

You're likely to get the rep ring first but it is better for maintanking than the tk ring.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ey3Dman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:31 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Prot Paladin weightings on wowhead aren't good - they still rate spellpower and int, and ignore strength completely. At least with he default weight scale, not sure if anyone's come up with good numbers for weightings in the new mechanics.

Thanks, I was wondering about that as I just noticed the weight calculations on wowhead do not mention Strength as an asset.
Ey3Dman

Postby amalah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:59 am

WTB sticky PST!!!!
amalah

Postby honorshammer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:49 am

Ey3Dman wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Prot Paladin weightings on wowhead aren't good - they still rate spellpower and int, and ignore strength completely. At least with he default weight scale, not sure if anyone's come up with good numbers for weightings in the new mechanics.

Thanks, I was wondering about that as I just noticed the weight calculations on wowhead do not mention Strength as an asset.

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4.4&filte ... 0.325:0.07

This is how a friend of mine does Wowhead rankings. I think its pretty solid.
honorshammer

Postby CKaz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 am

Freemount wrote:
Sheherezade wrote:horde needs some love too :(

I actually am horde, heh. Everything there has a horde equal.

I don't see an equal for most of the early shields? =b
fuzzygeek wrote:Some people have always endeavored to avoid int.
CKaz

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice