Remove Advertisements

Avoidance dropping quick

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Avoidance dropping quick

Postby Cidx » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:50 am

I know with uncrushable practically gone avoidance doesn't need stacked but trying to get 540 Defense I noticed my avoidance going really low. 18% Dodge 14% Parry 14%Block - However loving my 914 Block value.

I'm currently at 507 Defense. If I continue Im afraid I'll have very low Avoidance would it be wise to tank Heroics w/o uncritable in the sake that I can still avoid while I have it? -.-
Cidx

Postby kysu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:14 am

Ya i know what you mean. My avoidance before switching out any gear was in the 30's. now im right around 24 dodge. block is only like 18% when it used to be 24%... so who knows .. i dont care atm as i am #1 dps in basically every instance i tank.
kysu

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:19 am

Due to rating scaling and defense loss, you'll end up losing 2-3% of each stat per level. If you had 560 defense and 35% dodge (as i did at 70) you'll end up wearing same gear at around 490 defense and 20% dodge at 80.

Rating is the way to prevent people from using level 70 gear. Level 80 gear has craptons of defense for a reason.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby ulushnar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 am

What Worldie said basically. I've basically just tried to keep myself near uncrittable whilst levelling. I'll start building up avoidance again at 80.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 am

Worldie wrote:Due to rating scaling and defense loss, you'll end up losing 2-3% of each stat per level. If you had 560 defense and 35% dodge (as i did at 70) you'll end up wearing same gear at around 490 defense and 20% dodge at 80.

Rating is the way to prevent people from using level 70 gear. Level 80 gear has craptons of defense for a reason.

So, that's why I've been losing defense each time I ding?, but I can't find more defense gear fast enough, I'm barely 491, with new defense gear from Nexus and UK, even the shield from DEHTA..
djlar

Postby ulushnar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 am

Look for the Tempered Saronite set, made by Blacksmiths. The various pieces have level requirements from 73 to 78 and most of them have a metric crapload of Defense.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 am

It's depressing, really. I tanked Nexus and owned it at 70, but went back for some friends last night at 76 and took significantly more damage... in the same gear. :(
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Conaan! » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 am

moduspwnens wrote:It's depressing, really. I tanked Nexus and owned it at 70, but went back for some friends last night at 76 and took significantly more damage... in the same gear. :(

bad healer is bad, theres some nasty damage in there, to the point where when i was ret tanking i was actually using CC
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 am

Starting to notice my losses too; I'm going to have to start pushing to get my BS up so I can get some of that stuff (mage's mining is 400, so I guess I should send him hunting for Saronite soon). I also made sure my first JC purchase was Thick Dragon's Eye, though of course that's not an option for everyone.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 am

For those that weren't around in Vanilla WoW, dodge, crit, etc. used to be percentage based. In other words, gear would give you +1% critical strike, not +20 critical strike rating. They changed this because it caused major scaling issues with the upcoming expansion (BC).

Also, don't forget that as you level, fixed level mobs (instances) will have less of a chance to hit you... so it's not all bad :P
Belloc

Postby Elderin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:06 am

Worldie wrote:Due to rating scaling and defense loss, you'll end up losing 2-3% of each stat per level. If you had 560 defense and 35% dodge (as i did at 70) you'll end up wearing same gear at around 490 defense and 20% dodge at 80.

Well, that's pretty god damn stupid if you ask me. When I was level 70, I had about 507 defense. At level 75, in nearly the exact same gear (because tanking upgrades are soooo plentiful while leveling [/sarc off]), my defense is 470? And that includes my Defense skill going up because of leveling. In the meanwhile, I'm supposed to get to 540?

It doesn't make sense that this would be a motivation to replace level 70 gear because if you maintain 490 defense, you're going to be critable by equal level mobs by level 76, not to mention mobs that are higher level than you. I've been motivated to replace my existing gear the moment I stepped off the boat. But, Blizzard has provided minimal tanking upgrades.

Can someone explain Blizz's logic behind this?
Elderin- Paladin (Protection) - Whisperwind
Consecration is my crowd control
Elderin

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 am

Blizzard logic is "We cannot give a advantage to people who had T6 in TBC".
If they didn't introduce such punishing ratings (and that was introduced with TBC, not WotLK", you would with the same gear you wear at level 70 now, have better stats than a full T7 tank.

In case you didn't play back then, in vanilla all the items used to say "increases chance to XXX by Y%". It got converted to rating because else items that were good at 60 would have been good at 70, and actually better than level 70 items.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belarkan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 am

Elderin wrote:Well, that's pretty god damn stupid if you ask me. When I was level 70, I had about 507 defense. At level 75, in nearly the exact same gear (because tanking upgrades are soooo plentiful while leveling [/sarc off]), my defense is 470? And that includes my Defense skill going up because of leveling. In the meanwhile, I'm supposed to get to 540?

It doesn't make sense that this would be a motivation to replace level 70 gear because if you maintain 490 defense, you're going to be critable by equal level mobs by level 76, not to mention mobs that are higher level than you. I've been motivated to replace my existing gear the moment I stepped off the boat. But, Blizzard has provided minimal tanking upgrades.

I'm not sure you need to be uncritable while doing instances.
You're leveling yet, not really raiding untill you hit 80 and you'll get tanking items at that level.
Belarkan

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

Elderin wrote:

Well, that's pretty god damn stupid if you ask me. When I was level 70, I had about 507 defense. At level 75, in nearly the exact same gear (because tanking upgrades are soooo plentiful while leveling [/sarc off]), my defense is 470? And that includes my Defense skill going up because of leveling. In the meanwhile, I'm supposed to get to 540?

I use this argument with regards to my crit dropping by about 2%/level as i dinged. I started with about 30% crit. if it did not decay, what would i have to look forward to endgame? 60% crit? that would be slightly overkill. Ratings are in place to regulate what kind of avoidance, crit, etc. levels people are able to acheive as their gear gets better. without a decay in stats as you level, you could wear your bt/sunwell gear right through T9 or 10 simply because they are already at the "stat ceiling" and blizz is not gonna make gear that allows someone to reach 80% crit, 90% avoidance, etc.
Chunes

Postby Markoh » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 am

It's actually painful for me to look at my character screen right now. I used to like 530 defense with high levels of avoidance and now I've had to drop alot of my old sunwell/t6 tanking gear just to get gear with more defense. I'm up to about 515 defense but all my avoidance stats are around 18-20% which makes me cringe compared to what I'm used to.

I just try and think that as soon as I get some more lvl 80 gear it's going to start getting better again. Though to point out even with the bad stats I have atm I was able to tank just fine last night in naxx (only did military wing). It wasn't a very serious run so we got pats a couple times and I was able to tank about 4-5 trash mobs at a time with out getting completely blown up, though I took a ton of damage it wasn't to the amount that I would die before a heal could get me.
Markoh

Next

Return to WotLK