Northrend 5-mans

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby kysu » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:43 am

Uthgarde Keep:

Trash pulls are easy, One caster puts an orb around enemy, change target and ignore them till shield wears off.

Dragons do a fire aoe, just turn them away from the group.

Boss 1:
pull: 2 mobs on either side pull the farthest from the boss they all will come.

Boss is tank n spank, he will ice block someone you can target and kill the ice to unfreeze them.

Boss 2:
A caster and melee. They need to die ~ same time isnt a huge issue. Kill melee first he will respawn, just hold aggro on him and finish off the caster.

Boss3:
Tank him in the middle. When you see him casting anything, run away quickly. Includes all melee dps. Feels like a "charged fist on steroids"

He will die and respawn. Same thing here if you see him casting anything run out real quick and you will be fine.

And guys, plz don't give advice "o just rolfstomp the instance" not all of us are lucky enough to have enough competent people in our groups.
kysu

Postby Zaluthar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:45 am

kysu wrote:Uthgarde Keep:
And guys, plz don't give advice "o just rolfstomp the instance" not all of us are lucky enough to have enough competent people in our groups.

Besides that, you need to learn the strategy for these bosses anyway. They will be much harder on heroic.
Zaluthar

Postby daemonym » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:19 am

Stilgarr wrote:BE Woman - If you get motion sickness go afk ;) Typical caster boss, freezes you in place runs about ect. Also throws up 2 cpoies of herself, cant say i could see the way to tell which to hit to find the real one as was a bit of a zerg on her.

can you just give them a raid marker? sorta like the last boss in the arkatraz when they split up. also are the mirror images worth attacking or do they hit pretty lightly enough to ignore.

-trying to gather as much info on the new zones as i can before going in-
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:15 am

daemonym wrote:
Stilgarr wrote:BE Woman - If you get motion sickness go afk ;) Typical caster boss, freezes you in place runs about ect. Also throws up 2 cpoies of herself, cant say i could see the way to tell which to hit to find the real one as was a bit of a zerg on her.

can you just give them a raid marker? sorta like the last boss in the arkatraz when they split up. also are the mirror images worth attacking or do they hit pretty lightly enough to ignore.

-trying to gather as much info on the new zones as i can before going in-

Possibly, will try tonight as by the time we got round to her the 2nd time I'd had a drink or 8 :)
If I get there while still sober i'll edit it in the post m8
Stilgarr

The Nexus (non-heroic)

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:05 am

My gear: T4+badge gear, ZA shield and weapon. ~600 BV as ret, uncrittable. I swapped in a stam trinket over Moroes' watch, but didn't seem to notice much difference. I Tanked this as ret, we were all 70. my healer was shadow spec in healing gear.

A large portion of the damage here is magical. I recommend making sure your healer is good and well geared (or healing-specced). My SP healer was having a hard time keeping me up on bosses.

3 mini bosses: I'm being lazy about names, Wowhead has them.
- elemental/giant guy
- void sparky guy
- BE caster chick.
folowed by the dragon end boss.

Stepping in the zone, there are three paths. Left -> BE chick, right -> elemental gauntlet, right and then forward -> void sparky guy. ;)

Right side tree/elemental gauntlet

We went right, and went into the right-side gauntlet. The little tree trash will respawn ... but it's much much slower seeming than the shattered halls gauntlet. You basically just need to not go AFK, keep your healer nearby, and keep pulling trash. We had no mana issues, though there were some close seeming fights when we pulled extra adds.

Gauntlet trash: Prioritize the menders (centaurs) first; they do a Tranquility-like aoe heal. You can stun/kick them, also. You can skip some of the larger dudes (large elementals), but it doesn't take much time to just kill them. Having them add in the middle of a fight was a non-problem.

Elemental boss at end of gauntlet:
This guy seemed very easy. Watch out for the spikes -- they radiate from him in an X shape. I would basically wait for that, and then just step back a few steps, and slowly kited him around his platform. I expect that non-melee might be able to just stand in a "safe spot" for most of the fight. If you are foolish and step in the spikes, you get hit for ~half your health, and then take falling damage on top of that.

Spark and elemental trash and boss

Leaving the gauntlet, turn right and keep going away from the entrance. (I think it's to the NORTH of the zone...) At the end of the hallway are some dragonkin fighting what looks like a large spark elemental, or somesuch. This is the primary kill target any time you see them from now on, as it will do a magical AOE (I think arcane?). Dampen Magic might help here, we didn't try it. I'm not sure if it was an interruptible cast, short of stuns.

Continue down the path, and up the ramp to the RIGHT platform. There are about 4 or 5 trash pulls along this way; in all cases, kill priority is (large spark) > (large void elemental) > small trash. The small stuff tends to die from people aoeing, anyways.

The boss is a large caster elemental, looks like a light bulb. ;) Periodically (it might be %health-based, like Vexallus?), he will split into a smaller version and spawn one of those sparks that must be killed Right Now. Seriously, get off the boss and pound its face also. This happens several times in the fight. It seemed like later splits had MORE adds, but that might be a result of us not killing them fast enough. Near the end there were ~5 adds, and I didn't have aggro on them all. (I thought there'd been only 3, and then saw there were 2 beating on the mage and druid. Curses.) Next time I'll be more careful. Remember that even though it's a boss fight, everyone needs to swap DPS to the adds and nuke them down quickly.

Now for the left side ...

Now we went back to the entrance, and took the left fork for the path to the BE mage boss. (We could have gone platforming there along the north side, but thought that would be longer / worse trash.)

There are patrols of a mage + 2 demon dogs; they silence periodically. Holy Wrath and such seemed to help marginally. Kill the first patrol, and then enter the path of frozen enemies in ice blocks. If you get too close to them, they will thaw and add into your fight, so don't get too aggressive. Some of them do a knockback, so don't get knocked into more than you want to handle. (There are archers and melee, and I think occasional healers.) If you don't kill them, I was told they add for the boss fight, so we killed them.

After those are another patrol, followed by several pulls of multiple mages and a Steward. Seems like they all can use Arcane Torrent and silence you, but I could be wrong. I experimented with 2H tanking the packs that were mostly casters, as the faster they died, the less damage I took. As you get to the end of the path, you'll see the mage boss off to your right on a platform. To your left will be another patrol -- be careful how/where you pull these, as we wiped on a group in the next room that also came. (I'd thought I'd have enough room.)

The BE boss is a normal caster to ~50% (maybe higher?) at which point she splits into 3: arcane, frost, fire. They apparently CAN be sheeped or otherwise crowd controlled. I recommend doing so, as the magic damage intake is substantial. This seemed very hectic; i'd like to not die next time. ;) She will periodically throw the whole group around, so having instant heals available is very useful. I'm not sure if that is on a timer or random. We burned down frost->fire->arcane (arcane was sheeped)... I don't know if there's an optimal order yet. If my healer were healing specced, I expect it would have gone much more smoothly.

Final boss: the dragon

Everyone needs to keep moving. A druid healer is optimal; paladin probably less so. There's an aura which causes everyone to take a stacking frost damage debuff, which is removed when you move. You may want to HoSacrifice your healer for this. We wiped several times; I eventually found that kiting the boss slowly, backing in a circle around the room, seemed to work best. (I'd previously tried to stay moving with side to side movements similar to Netherspite ... fail. I think I got hit in the back, or just the dragon had weird as hell movements which got beside/behind me. Don't do that.)

The boss periodically does an "ice chains" or something type effect -- rooting people in place. Yay, even more damage to them. I don't think it's cleanseable; I imagine you can HoFreedom out of it. Humans can use the racial, and druids can shapeshift out of it, I'm pretty sure.

The boss also does a cone breath which puts a cleanseable debuff on people. I made it a priority to cleanse myself and also the healer and anyone that aguf showed having a debuff. When I combined "oh wait I can cleanse!" with "hey let's kite backwards the whole time", it was MUCH easier. It seemed easier than any other boss other than the ice spiking giant.

Loots: I got some DPS plate shoulders... the ones from MgT seemed better.

Quests: there's a quest you can get outside when you fly in (along with 2 othe quest chains that eventually require doing stuff inside) that have good rewards.
Kelaan

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 am

Also .. I got about 1/5 (or less?) of a bar of exp from the Nexus. In that hour and a half, I could have done much more questing. So, I'm going to be prioritizing questing a lot more than I managed. Hope someone has a good wreiteup of Utgarde. :)
Kelaan

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 pm

daemonym wrote:
Guillex wrote:Second boss(es): Bring them both down at a steady pace (a la Romulo and Julianne) ... When you kill one, he sticks around and keeps trying to kick the crap outta you, but you can't do anything about it. The apparition is non-selectable.

so they have to die at the exact same time or else he'll go ghost and kill you and be immune to everything? or just get to 2%, kill other boss, then burn him out?

Ehm, the apparition of 2nd boss is targettable by the way. You can also hit it and get aggro from it :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Worldie wrote:Ehm, the apparition of 2nd boss is targettable by the way. You can also hit it and get aggro from it :)
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby dornstar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:06 pm

The first and last boss seem more like healer fights than anything else. It's not the type of place that you want to run with a garbage healer like you could get away with in most TBC fights. Overall, it's not that hard. On the final boss, I had a ton of threat in phase 2, so I helped throw some heals and it worked out nicely.
dornstar

Postby guillex » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Worldie wrote:
daemonym wrote:
Guillex wrote:Second boss(es): Bring them both down at a steady pace (a la Romulo and Julianne) ... When you kill one, he sticks around and keeps trying to kick the crap outta you, but you can't do anything about it. The apparition is non-selectable.

so they have to die at the exact same time or else he'll go ghost and kill you and be immune to everything? or just get to 2%, kill other boss, then burn him out?

Ehm, the apparition of 2nd boss is targettable by the way. You can also hit it and get aggro from it :)

Orly?

Are you sure? I was never able to ... though it may have changed on Live.

I'll give it a try next time we go there.

@Kelaan:

For the Void boss - You weren't killing them fast enough. We ended that fight last night having fought 3 adds in total.

For Oromok - You don't have to kite him at all. Everyone else has to be situationally aware ... you just have to move a little to the right or the left, depending on where the spikes are going to come up. I never moved him from his spot.

For the BE boss - It's kind of like the Void boss ... Get on ONE of her clones, nuke it, next. If your group is doing decent DPS, you should burn it down really quickly, and you can move it back to her quickly.

For the Dragon - You don't have to move. Just jump. That's it. I'd let a 2-3 stack build up, jump, start again. It's a non-issue, as long as people are jumping/moving around. Again, the tank does NOT have to kite. Just jump. Also, a pally healer isn't that optimal, but will get the job done. Player skill -> talents ... Ours last night was a pugger, and did a half decent job.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby cerwillis » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Guillex wrote:For the Dragon - You don't have to move. Just jump. That's it. I'd let a 2-3 stack build up, jump, start again. It's a non-issue, as long as people are jumping/moving around. Again, the tank does NOT have to kite. Just jump.

QFT

Frost (or something) cone to the front, Tail swipe to the back, turn him so the group faces one side of him, /loot
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:10 pm

I suggested that (jumping) as I'd read it, and a groupmate said that it no longer worked. I'll be more confident next time. :-)

I didn't mean that I was actively kiting the tree boss; just that it was effectively what I did. See spikes, move back a few steps; turn when I ran out of room.

Interesting about the DPS. Maybe people were just slow to target (or we had too much melee?) ... but yeah. weird. I guess it's timer based, then. I really miss the extra threat from prot spec. :( DS+SoV isn't too bad long term, but single target I was threatcapping the warrior and kitty druid, on several pulls. /shrug. It'll get better I suppose. :)
Kelaan

Postby djlar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Jumping with Dragon worked for me (not for our mage he either cast or move), Hunter had no problems, healadin was on top of it

Only stopped jumping to thre the HoW.. that's it..
djlar

Postby Dianora » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Balgorra wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of tank drops from Utgarde Keep and the Nexus? Was checking on MMO and between the 2 I saw maybe 3 items and they all were from quest rewards. My current tank gear is mid T4 so I was realy hoping for some quick upgrades. Other than rep farming I have a feeling alot of tanks wont go here after they have picked up any off-spec items they wanted.

Ran nexus twice last night. Both times the same 2 healing plates dropped.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Nexus has plate tanking shoulders from a quest which are making me question keeping my T4 shoulders. Haven't seen much more.
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats