Consolidated WotLK profession perks (which are you taking?)

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby heavenlysoul » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 am

Does anyone know if you learn an engineering mount and then drop engineering, will it still be shown on the mount page? Just wondering if I'm going to lose them towards the 50 mount achievement.
heavenlysoul

Postby oxn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:40 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
majorwoo wrote:
Warcraft wrote:Actually the BoP leg enchant is just a convenience factor. As I hypothesized when I originally made the list, the BoP leatherworking enchants are equal in potency to the regular epic enchants.

It's just that for a while, the epic tanking enchant was not in the game but the leatherworking one was, so some people thought that leatherworkers get a more powerful one. This is not the case.

Both versions are now in game and are clearly equal.
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=60583
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38373

38373 says item not found for me FYI
wotlk
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=38373

Yarr, that makes a lot of sense. I'm waiting until Nov-ish to rerun numbers on professions.

Mining seems to be the best tradeskill at the start of the expansion. I plan on dropping it onto an alt later, but it is probably one of the best starting professions unless you want to buy everything.
oxn

Postby Bereid » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm

i just dropped Herba for Mining this past week. Am going into the xpac with Alc / Mining at the moment. This is the main reason i'm holding on to Alc at the moment, well that and being able to do Titanium and Eternal Might xmutes with xmute mastery.

If they ever make any of the epic BSing gear BoP or add something enticing for Weaponsmith or Armorsmiths i will probably pick up BSing. But at the moment i'm sticking with Alc since i've had it for going on 4 years come Nov 24th ><
Bereid

Postby Kroda » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:57 am

heavenlysoul wrote:Does anyone know if you learn an engineering mount and then drop engineering, will it still be shown on the mount page? Just wondering if I'm going to lose them towards the 50 mount achievement.

they still show up, you just can't summon them anymore
Kroda

Postby Lewid » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:52 am

JC - It earned me my first 100'000, so I'll stick with that.. the fringe benefits are not as nice as BS. The extra sockets are fairly comparably to the better gems, but if that add a 2nd meta slot to the chest rumor is true... also being able to whip up a titansteel weapon would be a good idea.

Alchemy - Debated dropping this for BS... its hard to weigh the short term and long term benefits, but alchemy was the better choice in TBC. And I can transmute my own metas for resale... nothing like turning 40-60g into 200g+ for a few minutes work each day. That and the necklaces look decent.
Lewid

Postby cordelia » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:39 am

Levantine wrote:Folks on EJ worked it out something along these lines:

JC >>>>>> BS = LW = Insc = Ench

If I remember the post correctly.

I browsed the whole EJ WotLK professions thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29288-wotl ... ion_thread, and couldn't find anything as conclusive as this. Where did you see this?

I would love to see an analysis involving the +value_add of 2socket trinkets vs. conventional trinkets, and +value_add of prismatic gems for meta activation and socket bonus activation.

In my own preliminary analysis, it seems like 2soc JC trinkets give up itempoints for the 2sockets, making them more flexible, but not necessarily more valuable.

e.g. Figurine - Twilight Serpent: Red, Blue, +7sp, 42 hit rating, use: +340 SP, 5min CD
Mark of the War Prisoner: 73 hit rating, use: +346 SP, 2min CD.

Both trinkets have the same ilvl. The former trades 31 hit rating and a 2min CD for 2 sockets, and a 5min CD. 2 sockets is approximately 40 hit rating, if gemmed independent of socket bonus. Thus, 9 hit rating for a much worse on use CD. I'd take the second trinket, honestly.

Thus, the value_add of 2 additional sockets is essentially nil, leaving only the value_add of +33 stam, and prismatic socketing.

This _should_ make BS, with 3 sockets the runaway winner as far as BoP benefits go.
cordelia

Postby earanduin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I've seen people post about the benefits of LW - huge stam enchant and the +60 resist enchants. Will the resist enchants be required?? I mean, if you look at the frost resist plate set, you would have 115+86+86=287 FrR in just three pieces of gear. Our Frost Aura will provide 130 FrR, yielding a total of 417 FrR - i.e. 2 resist over cap.

What I thus gather from this is that resist enchants to bracers are useless.
earanduin

Postby Angelus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 pm

I was following this post when it was still getting some active discussion.

I just wanted to bring it back up now that it seems professions aren't going to be getting any BoP gear. A few had mentioned they'd wait for more info until trying to decide which would be best. It seems we have all the info we're going to get now.

For confirmation, go here...
http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/11/07/pr ... -in-wrath/
Angelus

Postby link » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:04 pm

Pretty unfair that tailoring get their BoP magix carpet although literally it require the profession skill rather than it being BoP . :(
link

Postby Tankznspankz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am

im jc+mining atm.

Maybe i switch to JC/BS or JC/LW once im 425 JC or the Gem hype is over
Tankznspankz

Postby Shroomous » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:31 am

Any new opinions, now that the expansion has finally come out?
Shroomous
80 Draenei Protection Paladin
Proudmoore
Shroomous

Postby Talmus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 am

Shroomous wrote:Any new opinions, now that the expansion has finally come out?

I'll say that at least right now if you're someone that doesn't have a huge bankroll going double-gathering is pretty sweet for income.
Talmus

Postby daemonym » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:57 am

heavenlysoul wrote:Does anyone know if you learn an engineering mount and then drop engineering, will it still be shown on the mount page? Just wondering if I'm going to lose them towards the 50 mount achievement.

it still counts on the mount page and adds to the "you need 50 mounts to get an albino drake" even if you drop engineering. you just wont be able to ride it anymore, i can personally confirm this. got my drake with both the copters, dropped it, still see it on the mount section and still have my drake.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Eanin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:23 am

I'm going to keep enchanting, at least for now. I really like it because it serves as a sort of gathering profession as well, giving me enchanting mats I can use or sell. It also has the advantage of being very useful for all of my specs, allowing me to put spellpower on my healing rings and assault on my ret gear, all at a very low cost.

I'm probably going to drop engineering, though, maybe in favour of jewelcrafting or BS, I haven't really decided. That's in the future though. Right now, I want to level. I'll get engineering to 400, then pick up some goggles and wear them until I get t7. At that point, I'll change, but until then, I'm not really going to worry about it.
Eanin

Postby Flinsy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Ill be dropping ench for mining and I will be staying with JC for the nice trinkets and bop games.
Flinsy

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK