Remove Advertisements

Northrend 5-mans

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Northrend 5-mans

Postby Tronden » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:01 am

I know most people consider this area more for heroics than regular instances... but I would really love to see some posts from those who know the earlier instances from a tanking perspective.

Feel free to lock this thread - just needed to get this message out to spark posting in here.
Tronden of Runetotem (US)
Guildmaster <Guardians of Azeroth>
Tronden

Postby Dehn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 am

Uthgarde Keep.

pull 2-3 groups, aoe, pull 2-3 groups, oops was a boss, aoe, loot, end of instance.
Dehn

Postby Tronden » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 am

Dehn wrote:Uthgarde Keep.

pull 2-3 groups, aoe, pull 2-3 groups, oops was a boss, aoe, loot, end of instance.

ROFL. Well that would explain why there is no good information on it. are people soloing?
Tronden

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:30 am

Tronden wrote:
Dehn wrote:Uthgarde Keep.

ROFL. Well that would explain why there is no good information on it. are people soloing?

You're probably not going to be able to solo it for right now.

First boss of Utgarde (no H) Keep: Zerg.

Second boss(es): Bring them both down at a steady pace (a la Romulo and Julianne) ... When you kill one, he sticks around and keeps trying to kick the crap outta you, but you can't do anything about it. The apparition is non-selectable.

Ingvar: Zerg him, while staying away from his cleave. What? He's being REVIVED? Zerg him AGAIN, while staying away from his cleave.

How's that? Most, if not all, of the mobs in the Keep are aoe-able, and most are melee.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Zironic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 am

Well, I'd argue that Utgarde Keep isn't all that easy.

The last boss has an attack that hits for up to 13k shadowdamage when he revives. That one shot me when I was in my retribution spec <.<
Zironic

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 am

Zironic wrote:Well, I'd argue that Utgarde Keep isn't all that easy.

The last boss has an attack that hits for up to 13k shadowdamage when he revives. That one shot me when I was in my retribution spec <.<

It was hella easy when I was tanking and DPSing in the Beta ... don't see why anything would change going in on Live...

If you know what's going on, and what to expect, you'll be fine.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Zironic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:31 am

Guillex wrote:

It was hella easy when I was tanking and DPSing in the Beta ... don't see why anything would change going in on Live...

it doesn't matter how much you know when the boss hits for 13k and you got 12k hp ^^
Zironic

Postby daemonym » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 am

Guillex wrote:Second boss(es): Bring them both down at a steady pace (a la Romulo and Julianne) ... When you kill one, he sticks around and keeps trying to kick the crap outta you, but you can't do anything about it. The apparition is non-selectable.

so they have to die at the exact same time or else he'll go ghost and kill you and be immune to everything? or just get to 2%, kill other boss, then burn him out?
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:52 am

Zironic wrote:
Guillex wrote:

it doesn't matter how much you know when the boss hits for 13k and you got 12k hp ^^

It's a 10 yard cone in front of him.

You know it's there. You know it's coming. Get the hell out of the way. Or bubble. Whatever.

If you don't know, you're dead. If you do, you get the hell outta Dodge.

ALSO!!!!!! Everything he does that deals decent damage, is on a cast timer. So watch his timer, get out of the way, you're fine.

In this case, you're doin' it wrong. :)

daemonym wrote:so they have to die at the exact same time or else he'll go ghost and kill you and be immune to everything? or just get to 2%, kill other boss, then burn him out?

Doesn't really matter. They don't have to die at the same time, but if you kill one right off the bat, you'll be dealing with 2 sources of damage the entire time you're burning down the other... and no way of stopping said damage.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Balgorra » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 am

Is it just me or is there a lack of tank drops from Utgarde Keep and the Nexus? Was checking on MMO and between the 2 I saw maybe 3 items and they all were from quest rewards. My current tank gear is mid T4 so I was realy hoping for some quick upgrades. Other than rep farming I have a feeling alot of tanks wont go here after they have picked up any off-spec items they wanted.
Balgorra

Postby Zironic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 am

You know it's there. You know it's coming. Get the hell out of the way. Or bubble. Whatever.

ALSO!!!!!! Everything he does that deals decent damage, is on a cast timer. So watch his timer, get out of the way, you're fine.

In this case, you're doin' it wrong.

Is there some kind of warning I'm meant to pay attention to? I just see him jump, then I take the damage. I'd need to be uber twichy to dodge that in time.

And he doesn't do any emote or yell.
Zironic

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Zironic wrote:

In this case, you're doin' it wrong.

Is there some kind of warning I'm meant to pay attention to? I just see him jump, then I take the damage. I'd need to be uber twichy to dodge that in time.

And he doesn't do any emote or yell.

His castbar.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Tronden » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Based on the information gleaned here - I am very glad that I started this thread.

The information on the "Cone of Death" is particularly useful. I know I would have wiped on that.
Tronden

Postby Zaluthar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:11 am

For quick upgrades: get the Cobalt set.
Zaluthar

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:30 am

Balgorra wrote:Is it just me or is there a lack of tank drops from Utgarde Keep and the Nexus? Was checking on MMO and between the 2 I saw maybe 3 items and they all were from quest rewards. My current tank gear is mid T4 so I was realy hoping for some quick upgrades. Other than rep farming I have a feeling alot of tanks wont go here after they have picked up any off-spec items they wanted.

A quest outside the Nexus give shoulders that are almost a sidegrade to the Akama ones.

Ran UT and Nexus a few times last night, both are easy but not way too easy. Definatley better than the last 2 weeks of zerg raiding for sure.

I love the Nexus place, not massive but not too small either.

Giant boss - Tank and spank, just watch for 3 "ice trials" that spread out from under him, when they pop you get thrown up so just side step them.

Nexus type boss - Tank and spank again, once in a while he sort of despawns and an add pops, kill it and he comes back.

BE Woman - If you get motion sickness go afk ;) Typical caster boss, freezes you in place runs about ect. Also throws up 2 cpoies of herself, cant say i could see the way to tell which to hit to find the real one as was a bit of a zerg on her.
She also turns into Kael on crack. Similar throwing you up in the air, but omg she does it with passion and it can get very disorientating.

Dragon boss - Tank her walking backwards around the circle she is frozen on, if your stood still she freezes you or some thing. Found it dead easy to just keep her going around.
Stilgarr

Next

Return to General Strats