Remove Advertisements

Higher DPS or Higher Top End DMG?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Higher DPS or Higher Top End DMG?

Postby erdirck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I was wondering which weapon is better for paladins. I heard somewhere that one with higher top end damage is better than one with higher dps.

For example, Last Laugh vs Broken Promise.

http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=40402;40345

As you can see, Last Laugh has higher dps but considerably lower top end.

Any advice would help, thanks

-erd
erdirck
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:14 pm

We only care about DPS end of story.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby thenNATEgoes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:18 pm

Majiben wrote:We only care about DPS end of story.


Originally Hammer of Righteouss aid multiplies main hand damage, but it has been updated to say main hand damage per second. So yes, all we do care now is DPS.
Image
thenNATEgoes
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:14 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby erdirck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:53 pm

ah ok, I knew Hammer of Righteous had something to do with it, just wasn't sure, thanks!
erdirck
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Postby lythac » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:49 pm

For threat it doesn't matter.

Slower weapon will result in less PHA.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Postby Marklevin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm

but slower weapons result in it taking longer to stack SoV, but that doesn't matter much
User avatar
Marklevin
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Postby PsiVen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:17 pm

In the common single-target every-hit-lands scenario, the ticks of SoV damage are identical for fast and slow weapons. Faster will give you a smoother average application, but it doesn't really matter.

Also, I cringe whenever I hear the phrase "top end". Average damage, people! If it does 15-100 it's still worse than 53-66...
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby Barathorn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 am

PsiVen wrote:Also, I cringe whenever I hear the phrase "top end". Average damage, people! If it does 15-100 it's still worse than 53-66...


This is very important, Psiven raises a point here that people haven't mention before.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7101
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby rodos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Barathorn wrote:
PsiVen wrote:Also, I cringe whenever I hear the phrase "top end". Average damage, people! If it does 15-100 it's still worse than 53-66...


This is very important, Psiven raises a point here that people haven't mention before.

Barathorn
As far as I know, high top end damage is really only a factor for PvP where burst potential > all.
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Postby Andryana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:56 am

I think that on instances a faster weapon might be better to spread the stacks of vengeance faster, of course this is irrelevant on raid bosses/raids.

For some reason i prefer to tank with faster weapons, it just feels better that way even though as said before, it's only the weapon DPS that matters.

I'm going to try to do this quest today to get a replacement for my ZA axe, which one of the rewards would you guys pick?

http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857
Image
Andryana
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:30 am

Postby Delere » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 am

Andryana wrote:
I'm going to try to do this quest today to get a replacement for my ZA axe, which one of the rewards would you guys pick?

http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857



http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44735
would be my choice. it seems like the best choice for mid lvl instances and solo lvling due to the expertise and very nice defense rating boost :)

the other two tanking weapons seem like they would be more for fine tuning your gear, which i dont think will really happen untill 80. (even though both of them are still great!)
Delere
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Postby Eanin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 am

If you're tanking with Seal of Blood, a slower weapon is better.
Image
Image
User avatar
Eanin
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Postby rodos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Delere wrote:
Andryana wrote:
I'm going to try to do this quest today to get a replacement for my ZA axe, which one of the rewards would you guys pick?

http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857



http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44735
would be my choice. it seems like the best choice for mid lvl instances and solo lvling due to the expertise and very nice defense rating boost :)

If you're human, I'd stear clear of the axe because you get 5 free expertise (stat, not rating) on the sword and the mace. I'll probably take the mace since I've heard rumours that staying uncrittable will be the main challenge early on.
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:00 am

rodos wrote:If you're human, I'd stear clear of the axe because you get 5 free expertise (stat, not rating) on the sword and the mace. I'll probably take the mace since I've heard rumours that staying uncrittable will be the main challenge early on.
Humans have had theirs reduced to 3 beause they have 2 weapon racials. 3 expertise is still .75% less dodges and .75% less parries when tanking.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby Zoltar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 pm

I did that quest last night and took the axe for 2 reasons - higher defense and higher DPS even though it was slower.

I hope I didn't make the wrong choice. It replaces my ZA axe.
.
.
.
User avatar
Zoltar
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest