Remove Advertisements

Couple of tips for starting wrath

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Dianora » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm

Elsie wrote:
Hi there, sorry if this has been explained, but i still dont get what you all mean by getting tabbard. Is it ONLY for gaining rep, and if so I thought i read that was for lvl 80. I guess I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all i will need to do. I just want to quest in an area that will give best chance at new tanking gear and throwing me into instances to also get best tanking gear. That being said....

1. What is the tabbard in question and why do we need it?
2. Which are supports the better quests for tank gear.

It should be noted im not on a PVP server.

The tabard is solely for reputation. If you level in Howling Fjord, the quests will presumably give you reputation with the local faction. When you do Utgarde Keep, you will be gaining faction with the Borean Tundra faction.

By the time you are done the starting area (Howling Fjord), you will logically progress to Dragonblight or Grizzly Hills. This means to get Borean Tundra local faction reputation, you would have to re-grind green quests which isn't particularly time efficient and can always be done at a later time when you have a flying mount or at level 80 since you can get a monetary profit (experience points get converted into gold as is true for the present).

So, if you get the Tabard, you will already be friendly (from the starting quests) or higher. Then you will undoubtedly do Utgarde Keep and other instances on that side of the continent - probably even venturing as far as Azjol-Nerub. Meanwhile you will also have the tabard for Howling Fjord local reputation in case the 130 quests in HF do not cap you. Then when you move on to heroics and such you will have still be able to gain reputation without stopping to grind up to friendly. This is the "Champion" system, and such a method is very efficient as you will undoubtly repeat instances for friends or gear or fun or what-have-you.

Now, you're on a PvE server. So you can pretty much ignore all of that and just head straight to Northrend (dailies are still pretty efficient though, for a 1-time thing). The method I posted is of great aid on PvP servers because you can potentially out-level the opposing faction and be relatively safe in higher level zones where the masses haven't infested yet.

My suggestion? Take your time. You have no worries about something killing you. There's no "race" or anything of the sort on a PvE server except for grabbing quest mobs. Blizzard usually, when making a new zone, vastly increases the spawn rate on key mobs anyway. Isle of Quel'Danas was a perfect example of this. People are even more likely to team up on PvE servers - probably.
Heck, there's even a benefit to doing both starting zones. When you are done Howling Fjord, Borean Tundra quests can be done at a blazing speed since you will out-level them, and you will presumably have some better gear.

Don't worry about where better gear comes from. Your current gear is completely fine for the expansion and most of the end gear you want is from (1) reputation (2) heroics (3) higher level quests. A tier 4 / 5 or especially badge geared paladin can easily tank the new Ring of Blood and non-heroics. Most quests follow the same rules of Ghostlands and Outlands by offering a variety of rewards for any class. So no longer will a paladin have to choose whether he prefers the wand or off-hand orb from a quest. Also, DPS gear is generally better most of the way even in a protection spec as far as questing goes. So you're safe with your previous gear for instances and any possible loot for questing.

Finally, don't get overwhelmed. There's always going to be lots of information for those who want to know. However, most of that information is obtainable by just playing the game as you go. Whether or not you know of Quest X gives Y item which is slightly ahead of item Z that drops in Zone U till Zone U gives way to quest or zone P which ends up better is irrevelant. Just play the game and fall victim to the story - that's the benefit to PvE.

PvP I gotta put me some allies in their place. Under my boots.

Unfortunately, Championing Tabard doesn't work like that. There are 5 factions you can champion for, Kir Torin, Argent Crusade, Wyrmrest Accord, Knight of Ebon Blade and Horde/Alliance main faction. You can buy tabard from these 5 faction at Friendly. And when you wear them, you're representing them under certain conditions, and you gets reputation toward the tabard's faction. It will only work for level 80 instances and Heroic Instances.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Unfortunately, Championing Tabard doesn't work like that. There are 5 factions you can champion for, Kir Torin, Argent Crusade, Wyrmrest Accord, Knight of Ebon Blade and Horde/Alliance main faction. You can buy tabard from these 5 faction at Friendly. And when you wear them, you're representing them under certain conditions, and you gets reputation toward the tabard's faction. It will only work for level 80 instances and Heroic Instances.

Yeahh.... woops. All I had to go on were some googled posts.

I'd still use the system I layed out unless I was on a pve server. In which case I'd take it slow and do all the starting areas progressively for the content.

On that note, I'd never skip Dragonblight, even if it were possible.
Elsie

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:47 pm

For alliance i cant remember which boat leads to Borean and which leads to Howling
Lightbeard

Postby Bhall » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Are you sure that you will get XP for the L70 dailys? do you have it confirmed somewhere??
Bhall

Postby Zoltar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

My understanding is that you only get XP from dailies the first time you do them..... I could be wrong though.

Which starting area is Utgarde keep in? I think I plan on running that a few times before anything. The nightmare that is every man and his dog trying to tag mobs might be too much for me on a fully populated server.

Zoltar

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Utgarde is in howling fiord.
Just north of the start town.

The boat to there goes from the north dock in methil harbour
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Zoltar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:Utgarde is in howling fiord.

Cheers, however I don't think I would be very welcome in Methil Harbour.... I assume I can get a Zeppelin there.
Zoltar

Postby Taeron » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:06 am

Zoltar wrote:My understanding is that you only get XP from dailies the first time you do them..... I could be wrong though

So what's the final word on this? Can you collect 25 completed dailies that you've already done 100 times before and cash them in as the XP towards lvl80 opens up or will you just end up getting cash and no xp?

thanks.
Taeron

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:23 am

Zoltar wrote:
masterpoobaa wrote:Utgarde is in howling fiord.

Cheers, however I don't think I would be very welcome in Methil Harbour.... I assume I can get a Zeppelin there.

If I understand correctly, you get to:

Borean Tundra from Orgrimmar and Stormwind

Howling Fjord from Undercity and Menethil

If I've switched something, feel free to correct me.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Barathorn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am

I am going to do the following,

1/ install the expansion and go watch some TV.
2/ wait until the server is stablish.
3/ go and train all my skills upto 450.
4/ go back to Outland and finish running all the dungeon achievements.
5/ goto Orgrimmer and catch 'old whoever' while everyone else is queueing for mobs in Northrend.
6/ eventually get over there Saturday or maybe Sunday and chill out seeing all the new stuff and exploring with my wife.

That is my plan.

Barathorn

/edit - forgot to say thanks to those providing tips for others, if my circumstances were different I might have been very interested in the quickest way to get a headstart.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:06 am

I already explained it earlier in the post, but I'll do it again.

Daily quests will, no matter what, reward XP as long as you are not max level.

The system doesn't care if it's the first (yellow) daily quest or a repeat (blue) daily quest. They all give XP. All quests with a gold reward grant XP.

Yes, I did test this on the beta. I went to the Isle of QD, completed some daily quests, and received XP. These were repeated (blue !) daily quests.
Belloc

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 am

Keep up the good work Belloc :-D
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 am

There's so much misinformation, I just want people to know the truth! :)
Belloc

Postby Discus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:12 am

Nice, useful thread, thanks.

Quick Question with the 2 starting zones:

If you head to one (lets say Borean Tundra) and start qsting are you then prevented from entering or completing quests in the other (Howling Fjord)?

We wanted to put out a Guild notice to ensure as many guildies are in same starting zone as possible, which is going to be especially important if, once you've choosen, you're committed.
Discus

Postby Andox » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:19 am

Lightbeard wrote:For alliance i cant remember which boat leads to Borean and which leads to Howling

SW > BT
Menethil > HF

(I think)

If you head to one (lets say Borean Tundra) and start qsting are you then prevented from entering or completing quests in the other (Howling Fjord)?

No, they are much like Dun Morogh and Elwynn Forest.
Andox

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK