Remove Advertisements

Instance leveling to 80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 pm

MilaMan wrote:*shrugs* Im just saying. I get INCREDIBLY frustrated on the Isle.....

Northrend will only be worse, by all accounts.

If you wanna find me, I'll be in the outlands :)

Northrend will have two huge starting zones. I don't expect it to be bad at all.
Belloc

Postby Novariety » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I have a few SMV and Netherstorm quests that I never completed so hopefully come Thursday night (AU) I will have 25 to hand in, come Friday morning when I install the xpac.
Novariety

Postby Equitas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:57 pm

I play on Frostwolf-DE-PVP, its the biggest german server with over 26 000 players according to estimates right now. During Patch 3.0-day Frostwolf was unreachable for 2 Days. When it came online Waiting queues were about 2 hours for everyone.

Normally queues are in the region of 600-900. Wait times of 20 minutes are not uncommon.

The server was extremely laggy and unstable during TBC. Frostwolf is expecting the same thing to happen. Even if the servers run laggy and youre on. Expect Northrend to be Lagged out and everyone camping eachother and doing the same quests.

It will be IMPOSSIBLE to do the quests if 1000 Other people are doing them at the same time.

Thats why ill go instance Grinding till 72-73. Im starting in Borean tundra because Nexus > Utgarde :P and moving to Coldarra as soon as i can.

Thats my plan.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Zoltar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:03 pm

I am taking the day off on launch day but my wife (leveling partner and quest lover) cannot. I plan on running the starter instances over and over till she gets home from work. Then we can quest together. :)
Zoltar

Postby Solitatis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:17 am

The plan: (playing with 3 nolifers and my GF, means we can put in 18-20 hrs a day)
70-72 Ulhgar keep
72-74 Azjol-Nerub
74-75 Ahn'kahet
Nessing chain
Pit chain
~75-77 Gundak
77-79 Halls of Stone
79-80 halls of Lightning

all the way we going to be doing the quests inside the instances, else its just repeat untill the target level has been reached.

Thoughts/comments?
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby EvilNuff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

Solitatis wrote:The plan: (playing with 3 nolifers and my GF, means we can put in 18-20 hrs a day)
70-72 Ulhgar keep
72-74 Azjol-Nerub
Thoughts/comments?

I estimate that I'll be hitting 80 from questing around the time you're finishing up AN. :)
EvilNuff

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:14 am

EvilNuff wrote:
Solitatis wrote:The plan: (playing with 3 nolifers and my GF, means we can put in 18-20 hrs a day)
70-72 Ulhgar keep
72-74 Azjol-Nerub
Thoughts/comments?

I estimate that I'll be hitting 80 from questing around the time you're finishing up AN. :)
Seriously. People seem to think that leveling on live is going to be totally different than it was on the beta.

I remember getting several bars while instancing in BC and Vanilla WoW, but that does NOT happen in WotLK instances. Even while rested, the XP was incredibly low. You get almost the same xp from killing non-elites on the open world, and that isn't including the quest XP that you're accumulating.

I'm not saying that instance leveling is bad or the wrong way to do it, I'm just saying that it's not going to be the fastest way, even with everyone else questing around you. You have to consider that WotLK instances have less mobs than previous instances, they're shorter, and the XP from mobs seems to have been reduced. You're seriously going to be bored out of your mind after a few runs and you'll feel silly when you see your friends outside leveling 2-3 times faster than you.

If you want to level in instances, go for it. If you expect it to be faster, count on being wrong. Instances in WotLK are for gear, not XP. I strongly recommend that everyone wanting to speed level actually compare the XP they get from instancing to the XP from questing. You'll be surprised.
Belloc

Postby Dork » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 am

I'm not sure why everybody is so down on instance leveling.

Perhaps you should watch this..

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4023 ... video.html

If you know which instances to do and which to skip it can be very fast. My group for midnight weds/thursday morning is looking like me, healer, mage, mage and then either a boomkin or a lock.

Good aoe, replenishment x2, good heals, innervates, etc. I'd probably prefer a shaman healer, but I think I'll be getting a druid healer due to availability.

The gear I plan to use, much like Xav uses in that video, is dps gear that is enchanted/socketed for threat (str). I'm not logged out in all of it right now, but I have something like 2300 ap in it. Only tank stuff I use is my sunwell shield and I guess murumasa(not my mitigation sword obviously).

Should be fun.

P.S. From what I've seen that's like 4hrs a level for instance grinding if you have a solid group like this(that isn't going to break up) and then 3hrs a level questing with Jame's guide. So, sure questing at the highest level of powering might be an hour faster, but I can also grind these instances on autopilot.. I don't have to read anything or any of that jazz. Going to be running on very little sleep over the weekend, cbf'd with reading lol.
Dork

Postby Discus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:35 am

I strongly recommend that everyone wanting to speed level actually compare the XP they get from instancing to the XP from questing. You'll be surprised.

If this is true, and since everything else you've said seems spot on I'll assume it is, Blizzard have made a mistake in my opinion.

In nerfing instance XP relative to Qsting XP (presumably for the same reason they won't let us fly until later - so we can see all the hard work they've put in) it will effectively mean many of the earlier instances are ignored. The vast majority of us, even players as casual as me, have epics that outgear anything that drops in those instances anyway, so why bother with them?
Discus

Postby EvilNuff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:59 am

Dork wrote:I'm not sure why everybody is so down on instance leveling.

Perhaps you should watch this..

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4023 ... video.html
P.S. From what I've seen that's like 4hrs a level for instance grinding if you have a solid group like this(that isn't going to break up) and then 3hrs a level questing with Jame's guide. So, sure questing at the highest level of powering might be an hour faster, but I can also grind these instances on autopilot.. I don't have to read anything or any of that jazz. Going to be running on very little sleep over the weekend, cbf'd with reading lol.

I would prefer to instance grind but my time in beta has shown me that is simply not feasable (compared to questing). So, personally, I don't consider myself 'down' on it just being realistic.

With my experience in beta, I have no earthly clue how you could possibly get instance grinding down to 4 hours a level past 72 or so. Hell, I would be shocked if you could break 6 hours a level after the first couple levels (and no rest state of course). If you can, in fact, reach those rates I would be curious to hear how.

The video is pretty much irrelevant, that's like showing a geared Tankadin powerleveling someone on BM trash and saying see you can level this fast in quest greens! Its the exception not the rule.
EvilNuff

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Discus wrote:I strongly recommend that everyone wanting to speed level actually compare the XP they get from instancing to the XP from questing. You'll be surprised.

If this is true, and since everything else you've said seems spot on I'll assume it is, Blizzard have made a mistake in my opinion.

In nerfing instance XP relative to Qsting XP (presumably for the same reason they won't let us fly until later - so we can see all the hard work they've put in) it will effectively mean many of the earlier instances are ignored. The vast majority of us, even players as casual as me, have epics that outgear anything that drops in those instances anyway, so why bother with them?

Why bother? They are a lot of fun! On the beta, I would tank an instance anytime someone asked me to. They're just so enjoyable.

Now, I'll be honest... I'm just speaking about what I experienced. It may very well be that some people find that they can get a lot of XP from instancing (perhaps well above their level). If so, then absolutely go for it. I could be wrong about my analysis, but I feel very strongly that I am correct. I leveled up by both questing and instancing and instance XP always went much slower, even when the run went really fast.

Instances in WotLK seem to be more for loot, story and fun. It's true that a lot of people are walking in Tier 6+ gear these days, but you'll still find upgrades occasionally. Those walking around in Tier 5/ZA won't take long to find plenty of upgrades, even in the early instances. The instances augment the questing in the area and they seem to fit in much better than the Coilfangs and Auchindoun instances from BC. They make sense and they are a lot of fun.

And I'll finish by saying that allowing flying from the start would've really ruined the experience. There are so many things to see and do that you'd really miss out on a great experience. Riding around on my mount really felt like the right speed for the zone.
Belloc

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Discus wrote:The vast majority of us, even players as casual as me, have epics that outgear anything that drops in those instances anyway, so why bother with them?

Heroics?

But I agree with your core point; nerfing leveling-via-instancing is stupid, considering the serious problems they've been having with world server stability.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Dork wrote:P.S. From what I've seen that's like 4hrs a level for instance grinding if you have a solid group like this(that isn't going to break up) and then 3hrs a level questing with Jame's guide.

If this is the case, I certainly know which way I'll be going.

3hrs/level via questing might be a best case estimate which doesn't allow for a thousand other people trying to level in the zone, PvP asshattery, etc.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Why bother? They are a lot of fun! On the beta, I would tank an instance anytime someone asked me to. They're just so enjoyable.

Oh yeah, I'll still be tanking them, don't get me wrong, I'm not on a powerlevelling trip. But it's what fuzzygeek just said - nerfing instance XP relative to quest will mean more World Server Issues and far more people questing.

Fuzzy's second post is also true - if you're a robot, qst levelling is no doubt faster. But me, I'll be ..."ooooh, nice view, wonder what's over here; maybe I'll mine/smith for a bit" etc which will slow things relative to instances where your guildies will slap u into touch :lol:
Discus

Postby Markoh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:04 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:3hrs/level via questing might be a best case estimate which doesn't allow for a thousand other people trying to level in the zone, PvP asshattery, etc.

Quote because I can't stress this enough, on high pop servers questing will be a nightmare. It doesn't matter how fast stuff respawns you will still have to wait, especially if you try following the leveling guide. There a lots of kill this named mob quests which will be massive back ups along with having to fight for taps.

Personally I'm gonna try and make a prot dps spec and try it out so I can quest unless I'm in a group. I'm gonna try and stay in instances as long as possible. Worse case I'll just have my hearth in northrend and use my blessed medallion to port to bt and use shat portals for quick respecs.
Markoh

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK