Remove Advertisements

My (new) idea to fix Reckoning

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Zakkarai » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:02 am

The problem with Reckoning as a Sword-and-Board equivalent is that it's too low in the tree, appearing before our special attacks (Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield, even Holy Shield) become available. Likewise, making it that early on in the tree, but tuned to impact the cooldown on our Shield of the Righteous is that the ability does not become available until L75.

Maybe make it a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to increase damage and/or critical strike chance on judgement, or possibly to have a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to reflect damage equal to your block value against the next attack?
Zakkarai

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:09 am

Zakkarai wrote:The problem with Reckoning as a Sword-and-Board equivalent is that it's too low in the tree, appearing before our special attacks (Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield, even Holy Shield) become available. Likewise, making it that early on in the tree, but tuned to impact the cooldown on our Shield of the Righteous is that the ability does not become available until L75.

Maybe make it a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to increase damage and/or critical strike chance on judgement, or possibly to have a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to reflect damage equal to your block value against the next attack?

Based on the fact that it's called Reckoning, a counter-strike like ability would make more sense. Like a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to instantly strike back, dealing 15% damage as additional Holy damage.
Obrimos

Postby Legionp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:37 am

Obrimos wrote:
Zakkarai wrote:The problem with Reckoning as a Sword-and-Board equivalent is that it's too low in the tree, appearing before our special attacks (Hammer of the Righteous, Avenger's Shield, even Holy Shield) become available. Likewise, making it that early on in the tree, but tuned to impact the cooldown on our Shield of the Righteous is that the ability does not become available until L75.

Based on the fact that it's called Reckoning, a counter-strike like ability would make more sense. Like a 5/10/15/20/25% chance to instantly strike back, dealing 15% damage as additional Holy damage.

I still say it shouldn't be holy damage, but a very high damage white attack to increase our DPS without drastically increasing our TPS. Just getting an extra swing is quite pitiful.
Legionp

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:59 am

Legionp wrote:
Obrimos wrote:

I still say it shouldn't be holy damage, but a very high damage white attack to increase our DPS without drastically increasing our TPS. Just getting an extra swing is quite pitiful.

Why not Holy Damage? It is TPS, yes, but it's also unmitigated by armor. As a 25% chance to hit, that's a huge DPS increase when tanking. One out of every 4 hits is going to proc another full strike, plus 15% of the full strike's damage as holy damage.

That's crazier than Riposte, and anyone who's leveled a Rogue as probably seen how powerful Riposte can be with high Parry. 10 energy? Full weapon attack that doesn't reset the swing timer? I'm there.
Obrimos

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:25 pm

Obrimos wrote:
Legionp wrote:
Obrimos wrote:

Why not Holy Damage? It is TPS, yes, but it's also unmitigated by armor. As a 25% chance to hit, that's a huge DPS increase when tanking. One out of every 4 hits is going to proc another full strike, plus 15% of the full strike's damage as holy damage.

That's crazier than Riposte, and anyone who's leveled a Rogue as probably seen how powerful Riposte can be with high Parry. 10 energy? Full weapon attack that doesn't reset the swing timer? I'm there.

Well obviously, there's benefits to it being holy. I just think folks want it to be white damage so that the effect doesn't generate so much threat that it causes a balance problem.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Morolann » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Well obviously, there's benefits to it being holy. I just think folks want it to be white damage so that the effect doesn't generate so much threat that it causes a balance problem.

it'd be easy enough to put a modifier on it so that it generates 0 threat or ½ threat or something like that so that it doesn't generate too much, whilst still giving the benefits of being a holy attack.

I think that'd be a better way of tweaking it than making it white damage.
Morolann

Postby marsbubble » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 pm

I really think making it 3pt talent with 5/10/15% would make it effective and attractive enough for the pts, without overdoing the increase to damage or threat.
marsbubble

Previous

Return to WotLK