Where would you place me and also what should i upgrade

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Where would you place me and also what should i upgrade

Postby Lopimp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 pm

am comfortably tanking in ZA and have beeen to tk once or twice but where would my gear get me :D
Lopimp

Postby xstrykr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Where would your gear get you what? What do you want to do?
xstrykr

Postby guillex » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah, pretty much what xstrykr said.

Also ... you're at 486 defense. Need to change that. Especially if you want to MT raids.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Arees » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:06 pm

uummm... why does it matter? The expansion comes out in 4 days...
Arees

Postby xstrykr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:28 pm

486 defense is 486 defense. You'll be taking damage left and right from crits.

It matters because he asked how far his gear would get him. And I originally asked what he had wanted to do, because that makes a HUGE difference.

Lopimp: if you're looking to MT some raids before the 13th, get yourself to 490 defense. It's very possible you logged out in your non-tank gear, and that makes a difference because we can't see what your gear is in order to critique it. If you're not worried about MT'ing raids because you OT them, still it's a good idea to hit that mark.

Past that though, whatever quest items you get come LK will probably be anywhere from marginally better to significantly better than what you've got on. If you're going to continue to level up as prot in LK, my advice is if you've got a choice between prot and dps plate with a quest reward, take the prot item. The first few instances don't have much in the way of plate defensive gear. Also, when you do instance, as long as your defense is +100 skill over your max base (i.e. at 72, make sure you have at least 470 defense) you should be fine tanking any instance. Once you hit 80, work on getting your defense to 540.
xstrykr

Postby Tyaera » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:36 pm

You will need 490 defense to tank bosses. If you don't see yourself doing that before the patch, 485 is enough to tank trash and boss adds.

And while the chance to be crit is always there, "taking damage left and right from crits" is a bit misleading, it will onyl be a 0.1-0.2% chance to be crit, which while present and there, is very small. you may not even take a crit.

obviously I would not advocate accepting crittability if we weren't 4 days away from an expansion, but we are, so I am. Obviously the caveat here is that if its easy for you to reach 490 (chest enchant, cloak enchant, bracer enchant, etc etc) then you should do so.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby amh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 am

He´s barely crittable, but notice the resilience-libram.. Sketchy, but it works if you manage a 100% uptime on Holy Shield:)

As for your gear, you´re fine for anything in t5, and I reckon the first few bosses in BT / Hyjal. You might feel a bit squishy, but give it a shot.

And don´t rely on holy shield for uncritability, just get 490 defense already :(
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lopimp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 am

hi yeah i did log out in none raid gear i am 491 def with raid gear also got badge libram (1st one). asi say i manage to MT za np with all chests and no wipes am just wondering if i can manage the T5 content maybe push for early T6 if not Np is just getting tedious doing the same raids over and over with my gear at 491 def i think i am about 14.7k hp unbuffed
orange gem replaced with +8 def in helm now but armoury is gettingslow to update
Lopimp

Postby amh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 am

Give it a shot, you´ll be fine :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lopimp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:43 am

amh wrote:Give it a shot, you´ll be fine :)

Thanks am all new to the tanking side am a holy converted lol well about 4 months ago Ish
Lopimp

Postby guillex » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 am

If you're doing ZA, 4 chests, in a decent amount of time, then you should have absolutely no problem tanking T5 content...

The question should be, is your guild coordinated enough, and able to take direction and work together?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Kellel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:19 am

amh wrote:He´s barely crittable, but notice the resilience-libram.. Sketchy, but it works if you manage a 100% uptime on Holy Shield:)

And don´t rely on holy shield for uncritability, just get 490 defense already :(

Yeah the thing about playing the odds is your raid won't like it. In the event that you blow a cool down and get nailed with a crit .. it will usually mean a wipe .. which means a total repair cost of a few hundred gold in just a 10 man raid, not to mention the cost of blown elixers, buffs and reagents .... AND wipe recovery time ....... in a 25/40 man raid ... ouch... all because the tank opted to gamble on half a percent lol.
Kellel
Maintankadonor

Postby Lopimp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:25 pm

I have a possible invite for BT with a friends guild so will see how it goes hopefully i get a bit of T6 content done before patch :D
Lopimp

Postby Falibard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Lopimp wrote:I have a possible invite for BT with a friends guild so will see how it goes hopefully i get a bit of T6 content done before patch :D

Start with Hyjal. If you've aoe tanked anything that was more than 3 mobs before you'll do fine. You'd probably be fine with tanking the first 2 bosses in there (the first one for sure).
Falibard

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice