Remove Advertisements

Tanking Naxx for the first time

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Tanking Naxx for the first time

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:07 am

I'm going to be leading my guild into Naxx in about a month, so I've been going over the bosses as best I can. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of reliable information on the bosses presented on WoWWiki or WotLKWiki, or it's mixed in with random bits from Naxx's level 60 days.

So, I come to you guys. Which wing first? What are good things to keep in mind? Any trash that'll be important to remember (like the skeleton guys in Kara that iceblock the tank randomly or the constructs in TK that OMGWTFPWN tanks)?
Obrimos

Postby Selinaria » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:20 am

Spider wing is overall the easiest although Instructor Rasuvious is pretty easy too. Trash in spider wing is pretty much a joke although on the way to Maexxna be aware of invisible shades that can pop out at inopportune times :roll: (Shades are present all throughout but this is probably the most common area to see them, also just after Gluth).

Gargoyles in plague wing are just as annoying as at 60 and you will wipe to em if you have fail dps that can't hold their burst for the last 30% or watever it is. Hall before Heigan is no longer a gauntlet but the hall after him with the eyestalks is a gauntlet and that part of the fight is no longer part of the Heigan encounter.

Overall the 60 strats apply to most trash and bosses though so even outdated it may be, just knowing the 60 strats and adapting to dumbed down boss encounters will leave you in good shape.

There are a million little details as with anything but overall, it hasn't changed that much. Just a few things off the top of my head.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:24 am

Okay, that helps then. I never got to see Naxx at 60 (hell, this is the first time raiding I'll be with the curve rather than behind it. Kind of exciting >.>).

I was worried about Spider since Maexxna is supposed to be a gear-check, but I'm kind of anal about getting good gear, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Obrimos

Postby Selinaria » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:18 am

Maexxna is a gear check for sure but not a horribly bad one either. Also kinda depends on group makeup, tons of hots can make up for slightly sub-par tank gear.

No reason any guild cannot walk into the place and clear at least 4-6 bosses even poorly geared though: Anub'Rekhan, Faerlina, Noth, Heigan, Instructor Razuvious, and Gothik are all more or less just knowing the strategy and executing properly and are easily reached although if you have really fail dps you may not get by the gargoyles before Noth.

Maexxna, Patchwerk, Loatheb (to an extent) are the major gear checks of either tanks or dps but none of the them are that demanding overall (although the 4 Horseman strategy used can vary a bit based on gear level, IE: burn one down entirely before a position swap is even required).
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby Mortehl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:21 am

Go Plague wing first.

If your raid can't kill the gargoyles, go back to heroics. If they can, you're pretty much ready to rumble. Also, Heigan will help you smooth out SA issues as well.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:23 am

Mortehl wrote:Go Plague wing first.

If your raid can't kill the gargoyles, go back to heroics. If they can, you're pretty much ready to rumble. Also, Heigan will help you smooth out SA issues as well.

So Gargoyles are kind of the litmus test for the whole raid?

What's a good expectation for a good, cohesive group of players to see Naxx for the first time to downing Kel?
Obrimos

Postby Mortehl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:32 am

I like gargoyles as the first real test for the raid for the following reasons:

1) DPS needs to focus fire and blow appropriate cooldowns in reaction to the gargoyle attempting to heal.

2) The double gargoyle pack requires good teamwork on the heals.

3) The raid leader is tested by making sure he or she holds people back while the acid spit stacks are too high.

4) The tanks need to contribute to damage, and they need to be smart enough to know if their team can handle spreading out the double gargoyle pack or if they need to split them up.

So yes, it is a good easy to recover litmus test for your team as a whole.

Heigan is a GREAT SA test because everyone needs to move their ass or they die. This is actually a pretty fun fight and people should be in a good mood for it. (Safety dance FTW).

Finally, I am hesitant to say what a good pace should be. If I give you a number and your raid doesn't match it, that is disheartening. I've never played with you or your team before.

Just have fun and kick ass. Naxx is great fun and is relatively easy to master. You're already familiar with a large number of the fight mechanics as they were used in various forms throughout TBC.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:57 am

Mortehl wrote:I like gargoyles as the first real test for the raid for the following reasons:

1) DPS needs to focus fire and blow appropriate cooldowns in reaction to the gargoyle attempting to heal.

2) The double gargoyle pack requires good teamwork on the heals.

3) The raid leader is tested by making sure he or she holds people back while the acid spit stacks are too high.

4) The tanks need to contribute to damage, and they need to be smart enough to know if their team can handle spreading out the double gargoyle pack or if they need to split them up.

So yes, it is a good easy to recover litmus test for your team as a whole.

Sounds like the trash isn't "just trash", anything in particular I should know? Again, I never saw Naxx at 60, so I've got no clue going in for the most part. I've seen the dance pattern and the like but not a whole lot on 'interesting' trash.

Mortehl wrote:Heigan is a GREAT SA test because everyone needs to move their ass or they die. This is actually a pretty fun fight and people should be in a good mood for it. (Safety dance FTW).

Is it a hectic fight? I've got a few people who are good raiders but they're kind of antsy under pressure (one plays a Rogue, so it's normally not a big issue, but for Naxx first time I'd be leary to take her if bosses like Heigan require a lot of communication and a lot of movement).

Mortehl wrote:Finally, I am hesitant to say what a good pace should be. If I give you a number and your raid doesn't match it, that is disheartening. I've never played with you or your team before.

Yeah, it's just something to shoot for. I'm not worried about being the first to the finish by a long shot. We're a casual raiding guild, and I know I can do 10 without a problem, while 25 will be more difficult. I'd just like to put something out there and say, "With 2-3 nights a week, maybe, we should be able to at least see Kel'Thuzad in a month".

Mortehl wrote:Just have fun and kick ass. Naxx is great fun and is relatively easy to master. You're already familiar with a large number of the fight mechanics as they were used in various forms throughout TBC.

Neat, I just wish I would have seen more of BC's raid content outside of Kara, ZA, and a boss or two in BT and TK. :P
Obrimos

Postby Tankznspankz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 pm

f bosses like Heigan require a lot of communication and a lot of movement).

bosses like Heigan

require a lota lot of movement
Tankznspankz

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Obrimos wrote:Sounds like the trash isn't "just trash", anything in particular I should know? Again, I never saw Naxx at 60, so I've got no clue going in for the most part. I've seen the dance pattern and the like but not a whole lot on 'interesting' trash.

Trashs in naxx are simple.

The gargoyles however have 2 abilities:
1) A stacking AoE debuff, similar to leotheras attack, will deal X damage and increase the next hit from that attack by Y, stacking indefinitely.
2) At low HP, they become immobile, and channel a spell. If they finish channeling it before you kill them, they heal full HP and will likely wipe the raid due to the stacking debuffs.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby samsara » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:49 am

Little Hint for Heigan:

If your group isn't that good in moving around, ask an engineer for

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23811

they are quite cheap and makes the fight very easy. Place one flare on every save spot in phase1, after you set the 4 flares for the fight its very easy for the tank and the melee's to manage not to die.

In phase 2 the group just have to run to the first flare and wait for the floor to explode, then run to the 2nd flare and wait, 3rd flare and waid, 4th flare and wait, turn back 3rd flare and wait and so on. It's quite good as people cannot accidently run to far or to short and die in the green stuff with comes from the floor.
samsara

Postby Maridian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Is there any link or connection to a reasonably comprehensive guide available? Or perhaps a video series?

I'm in the same boat at the OP; I've never seen Naxx, so not only do I not know the bosses, the strategies, or the trash, I don't even have the slightest idea *how to get through the instance*. While my guild is patient and kind enough to put up with us blundering through discovering things by accident, I'd rather not put them through that if I can at all help it. Any Naxx guides would help me.

10-man, if it matters.
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Postby amh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 am

This map will probably be your best guide to Naxxramas. The place is just too big :(

Wowwiki.com has a little info on each boss, read up there and watch each boss on youtube.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby kartera » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:01 am

start with spider wing . go over to plague wing followed by dk wing. last abo wing because of "gear"check patchwork..
bosses are not that hard if you have farmed heroics for a decent amount of time.
gl with your raid !
kartera

Postby blubberfisch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 am

go youtube an type 'naxx wotlk'

found a lot of moving pictures there ;-) a few out of a tanking pov

these plus wowwiki or wowhead should do the trick, even if you havn't any experience in the 'original naxx'
blubberfisch

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon