Onyxia Solo

Doomwalker, Doom Lord Kazzak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Onyxia Solo

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:20 am

Hey, first question:

Is the archievement/feat of strength "solo onyxia" still in? Can't find it in wowhead.com

Second:

Did somebody try in 3.0.2?

Judgement of ? (wisdom?)
Seal of ? (Light?)

What Talent Spec? Prot? Or Ret with Prot Set?
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Lydirn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:46 am

I just managed it yesterday!

The achievement isn't in anymore, at least not on live.

Judgements used rotated between judgement of wisdom, and vengeance when mana was looking good.
Phase 2 is a massive pain in the butt, but the whelps are actually useful for sanctuary mana regen.
Only difficulty was dealing with respawned warder midway through phase 2. He agroed from way outside when ony flew to the mouth of her cave.

I wore about 200 fire resist, the rest prot based gear. Mostly ZA level tanking gear. Heavy prot spec.
Dps was done mostly by HoTR, Avengers shield.

I plan on doing it again this weekend and frapsing it.

Phase 3 was slightly problematic maintaining a mana pool compared to phase 1 due to fears.
Lydirn

Postby Sechs » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Did it 2 days ago, with about 170 fire res, probably be worth maxing fire res but dunno.
Was so much healing in phaze 2 as you get bombed by fireballs nonstop. good thing tho there is an unlimited amount of whelps that spawn to fill up your mana bar. :)

"spez" spec i used --> http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... 1533312301

Also in phaze 1 and 3 i tanked her on the eggs so mana was never a problem for me.
Sechs

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm

They removed the achievement, apparently because some classes couldn't do it in any spec.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby fafhrd » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:58 am

Could someone tell me what kind of damage to expect? Not "she was hitting me for so little that I healed myself fine in FR gear", I'm looking for more concrete non-mitigated hits, and what the various fire damage values are. Google is failing me at finding an actual listing of her damage/abilities. I'm being told that most of the damage is from her fire attacks, but I can't tell if that's just the way she is, or because of the amounts of armor and avoidance player tanks had. Which of her attacks count as AoE would be great to know too (yaay 75% aoe reduction).

The reason is that I need to spec a pet to tank her, not a paladin.

Also, do you know if deep breath is a single hit, or multiple hits? I remember it as being a large single blast, but a friend is saying it's several - need to know whether speccing pet to intervene is worth it, since if it's one hit it could just intervene me, and I can heal the pet indefinitely, but only heal myself a bit (actually not sure if Intervene even works on AoE spells).

So far as long as the pet doesn't get one-shotted, I'm pretty sure I can heal it forever, can dps her forever, and am mostly worried about whether something will 1-2shot the pet or not, and how I'm going to heal myself through P2 damage.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm

according to thottbot comments:
Re: Onyxia
Score 0.67 Vote: [-] [+] by The Vesperlord, 9.1 months ago
Well, when I was tanking her she wasn't hitting very hard; 1-1.5k on LEATHER and like 700-900 on the plate my partner was wearing for claws, and typical breath minus all my resistance.
However, my damage did seem compromised; but that might just be her high armor.

So it's possible she scales in some ways but not others. Whelps certainly don't change at all.

As to his fireballs:
While in flight Onyxia will breathe fireballs down on random players. This hits as a main hit and a splash damage hit. It does up to 3000 damage to the player it hits and can do up to 1500 to anyone nearby.

As to deep breathe, the bolded indicate they are not target-based:
Despite being "breaths" they don't actually originate from the front of her — they actually originate from the floor directly beneath her and travel directly to the opposite corner or side of her lair. Melee who attempt to stand under her to DPS should keep this in mind and be prepared to immediately run to a safe spot if a deep breath occurs.

The biggest issue I can see you having is if pets are crittable - and I don't know enough about pets to give you any clues to which can obtain -5.6% crit. It seems Deep Breathe is largely avoidable, though, and there's no reason you can't be in FR as well. If you get hit, with some FR, a bandage should be able to sustain you, no?

Your best bet for surviving p2 is FR or feign death. I imagine you could, theoretically, use feign death for almost the entirety of p2 making you ineligible for fireballs. From my experiences, using Feign Death after a Mend Wounds will still keep you off the threat table so you can heal while dpsing adds. Or you could get a pet with an aoe manuever, but healing would probably be unsustainable.
Elsie

Postby fafhrd » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:12 pm

Awesome, thanks!
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:22 pm

I could feign all of p2, i remember i would break the cast if she's casting it at me, and since it's targetted it probably wouldn't hit me. However this would mean she'd have to be brought down solely by a tanking pet that can't hit her with all her attacks, so p2 would last something like 10 times as long. Also my healing of the pet mostly stops if I'm not up and dpsing.

Whelps pet can aoe to pick up, and they'll all die in two to 3 ticks of volley (2,600 - 2,800 hp apparently).

Pet would definitely be crittable, although I could give it 4% crit reduction if I gave up some spell/aoe mitigation.

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc=0h0u0bG0M is the pet spec I was considering. Maybe losing a point from greater resistance to get Intervene if I suck at dodging breaths.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:48 pm

fafhrd wrote:I could feign all of p2, i remember i would break the cast if she's casting it at me, and since it's targetted it probably wouldn't hit me. However this would mean she'd have to be brought down solely by a tanking pet that can't hit her with all her attacks, so p2 would last something like 10 times as long. Also my healing of the pet mostly stops if I'm not up and dpsing.

Whelps pet can aoe to pick up, and they'll all die in two to 3 ticks of volley (2,600 - 2,800 hp apparently).

Pet would definitely be crittable, although I could give it 4% crit reduction if I gave up some spell/aoe mitigation.

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc=0h0u0bG0M is the pet spec I was considering. Maybe losing a point from greater resistance to get Intervene if I suck at dodging breaths.

I don't think intervene does anything to aoe affects. AOEs are not a 'spell against you' such much as a 'spell in the area you happen to be in.' I'm pretty sure warrior intervene doesn't absorb AOE effects, anyway, so it's a safe bet.
edit: intervene would just hose you for the fireballs anyway, with the splash damage effect.

Drop Guard Dog for Pet Barding - threat means nothing here since you can just let him get a bigger lead. If players can hit Onyxia with all of their melee specials (crusader strike works) in p2, I'm betting swipe can. Get mana back by killing whelps or timing your feign CD well. With some FR combined with Higher Level Resists(tm) you can always just take a few hits then feign/bandage.
Elsie

Postby Chanticleer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 am

It is possible to melee during phase 2, and I personally enjoy 2-manning with a hunter specifically because I can follow the pet around to find Ony's hit box rather than craning the camera around trying to track her.

Your pet will be able to maintain threat/dps on her when in the air.
Chanticleer

Postby fafhrd » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:38 am

Neat.

I didn't take pet barding since it would only mitigate physical damage, and by all accounts that's not much compared to the magical damage. Keep in mind that the pet has 75% damage reduction on AoE effects before all it's other mitigation, so I think the direct melee damage and single target abilities are the only dangerous ones.

I'm assuming the whelps don't hit at all hard, since they'd be low level, and I don't remember being gibbed by them on my hunter at 60.

Still need to get the damn pet another 5 levels before trying >.>
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Well, I went and tried it. Strangely enough the hardest part initially was managing threat - the pet TPS was awful without the 20% extra threat on growl talent. And my threat is if anything 15% higher than normal because of the healing I'm doing. Just holding DPS while the pet builds aggro isn't an option, because most of the healing the pet receives is directly from my damage done, so holding DPS means holding healing.

Ended up speccing for 20% more growl threat, and both feigning and misdirecting every 30s. Even then I was catching up to the pet every 35s or so. Given that I was barely pushing more than 15-1600 TPS with all the misdirecting and switching to viper going on, I'm pretty sure there's a fairly hefty de-aggro in her knockback or something.

Anyway, P1 stabilized, and I could have sustained it indefinitely. P2 the first wave of whelps was easy too. However the rest of the whelps that come in 2s and 3s the rest of the phase are a huge pain, since they beeline for me because of the healing i'm doing (not to mention the mana regen from aspect of the viper currently causes threat too), and there aren't enough to aoe properly. On top of that, having the pet try to pull them off me just gets both of us fireball splashed. And just to nail it home, if I take more an 2 fireballs in p2, I can't really get by with a bandage. Intervene/roar of sacrifice don't really help since you can't predict when you're about to take 3 fireballs in the next 12 seconds and when you're not going to take any.

So after a few p2 wipes due to interrupted bandages, annoying whelps or just general running out of heals, i gave up on it. Duo'd it with a holy priest friend a bit later, pet tanked everything fine.

Stuff learned:

- even without FR gear or spell warding talents, and with maxed armor/dodge talents, the majority (~70%) of damage taken in p1 is physical.

- p1 takes around 8 minutes of thoroughly threat capped hunter dps to solo

- in p1 she definitely does some sort of significant threat reduction on the tank - in p3 threat was still an issue but not quite as bad, so perhaps reduced frequency/magnitude of deaggro

- hunters need the old spirit bond back

Video of failure up at http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16559145TtpGctcs
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:17 am

Her knockback is somewhere close to 75% threat reduction if i'm not wrong.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 am

Your not , its a pain in the ass
Io.Draco

80 and old bosses

Postby Kurgen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:00 pm

This is a question about all old bosses, but applies to onyxia as well, What DEF skill do I need to be uncrittable? I know that mobs have attack power and it doesn't scale with level, but do I need to be at 540 defense at 80 to be uncrittable or is Onyxia a level 63 and therefore I need much less and can therefore stack lots of AP to kill her more quickly? Anyone have any idea?

similar vein, can I be at 490 Def and still be uncrit to the huntsman in Karazhan or do I need to be 540 since he is a boss and therefore a 'my level +3'?
Image Image
Kurgen

Next

Return to Outdoor World Bosses