Remove Advertisements

Leveling Weapon Skill in Wrath

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:25 pm

dmok wrote:I meant judgements there, sorry. but yeah, I didn't know they didn't refresh on the target. gone are the days of judging multiple mobs and tab-targeting through them to keep it up. oh well. I guess HotR will do that for me now.

Yeah, in an AoE situation, running SoW/JoW plus sanctuary generates a crap ton of mana.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kelaan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Splug wrote:I'd have to find something that does so little damage to me that blood presence would heal through it (and not kill my target).

I think defense still has a chance to level even from low level mobs ... so try pulling stockades a few times. You'll get plenty of opportunities to parry/dodge things, and that seems to be what helps defense level. They may have changed it, though, since last I did something like that. Can't hurt to try.
Kelaan

Postby Talima » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Does anyone know what options there still are for easy weapon skill leveling? I know there's the ones at the entrance to shadow labyrinth; wondering what else remains.

Does Azaloth still work?

I heard today that the broken with the totems in shadowmoon no longer work.
Talima 85 BE Prot/Ret Dalaran
Talima

Postby Viycktor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:07 pm

I agree it's annoying and it would be nice if it were gone. However, while leveling, it is one of those little things that you see that makes you feel like you're progressing, character-wise.

I think the should make it advance a little faster (to keep in line with faster leveling in general) and reduce the number of weapon skills.

Ex1: Axes, Swords, Maces, Wands, Staves, Missile, Thrown, etc... so that no matter if you're using a 2H or a 1H, you still gain skill - your class, not your trained skills, would restrict what weapons you could equip.

Ex2: 2H Weapons, 1H weapons, OH weapons, Wands, Ranged, etc... basically the same as above, only more slot-based than weapon type based.

I will say this, my wife's warrior could often be found wearing +int gear, in Gnomeregon, with the lowest dps, fastest weapon she could find... until she leveled every weapon... (Anytime she was OTing a boss that required her to stand back, she'd often be pinging away with whatever ranged or thrown weapon she needed at the time ;)) Haste gear my help these days!
Viycktor

Postby Sonic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Just paying a random dude to learn how to use a weapon shouldn't make you an instant master of said weapon. Training should be required. It already provides a good limiter vs how high of a mob you can fight while leveling and providing a boost to lower level mobs. If they removed the levels then you'd have a standard attack value vs all mobs of any level. Making lower mobs tougher then that should be and degrading higher levle mobs.

Really all they need to do is tweak the system slightly. Remove the whole int effecst it and make it a select number of swings per level. Also make it so that last point doesn't take 1000 swings + 0.0001% luck factor for it to finnaly trigger. And for gods sake SHOW how much it's gonna take to level the skills.
Sonic

Postby Zironic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Sonic wrote:Just paying a random dude to learn how to use a weapon shouldn't make you an instant master of said weapon. Training should be required. It already provides a good limiter vs how high of a mob you can fight while leveling and providing a boost to lower level mobs. If they removed the levels then you'd have a standard attack value vs all mobs of any level. Making lower mobs tougher then that should be and degrading higher levle mobs.

Really all they need to do is tweak the system slightly. Remove the whole int effecst it and make it a select number of swings per level. Also make it so that last point doesn't take 1000 swings + 0.0001% luck factor for it to finnaly trigger. And for gods sake SHOW how much it's gonna take to level the skills.

No one is arguing about weaponskill the stat, it's doing it's job just fine.

Everyone is arguing about weaponskill the grind.
Zironic

Postby Blutreich » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:17 pm

what about using the first boss in reg Slabs, you can solo to him and kill all but 1 group of casters leaving you a nice banished target to bash away, no one can come bother you either.

what about semi linking weapon skills?

1h swords
2h swords
1h maces
1h axes
daggers

2h maces
1h maces
2h axes
2h swords
polearms

and so on so forth, each time you skill up a weapon, all linked weapons get bumped up 1 point if they are more then 10 points behind.

Buts are if you hand an axe to a person skilled in the art of swordplay (but has never played with an axe) and one to some Joe Schmoe that has never used any sort of melee weapon then pit them against each other, the sword fighter will emerge alive.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Morax » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:00 am

Anyone tried Dire Maul, or did i miss that in the patch notes beside the Blaseted Lands mobs?
These ghost in the north part, behind the king. I leveled all my weapons over night, because they do nothing - only standing there and waiting for more hit :lol:
Morax

Postby Talima » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 am

Blutreich wrote:what about using the first boss in reg Slabs, you can solo to him and kill all but 1 group of casters leaving you a nice banished target to bash away, no one can come bother you either.

Sounds nice, I doubt I can get to him solo though, not geared well enough.

I checked and Azaloth still works. Took 2h axe from 208 to 348 yesterday. Only thing is the warlocks around him respawn fairly quick, though the signets/tomes/cloth from them is nice. Also have to deal with the occasional person doing the quest to free him, but you can just jump down to the lower level (avoiding the patrolling elite there of course) and watch as he resets and often kills the person who released him :twisted:

Morax wrote:Anyone tried Dire Maul, or did i miss that in the patch notes beside the Blaseted Lands mobs?
These ghost in the north part, behind the king. I leveled all my weapons over night, because they do nothing - only standing there and waiting for more hit :lol:

I heard about that one through comments on wowhead, though people have said on there that it no longer works.
Talima 85 BE Prot/Ret Dalaran
Talima

Postby kysu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Eh i went to do my dailes and lv'd a 2h axe on 5 of the guys you get the mana things from. Took mabye 40 mins? Grabbed 1 walked it into town so I wouldn't get ganked and whacked at it. I'm atleast 333 in that little time.
kysu

Postby phaqueue » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:30 pm

kysu wrote:Eh i went to do my dailes and lv'd a 2h axe on 5 of the guys you get the mana things from. Took mabye 40 mins? Grabbed 1 walked it into town so I wouldn't get ganked and whacked at it. I'm atleast 333 in that little time.

Wow... you're like the 2nd or 3rd person in the thread to miss this... could you please be bothered to read the rest of the thread... where the guy goes "I leveled it to like 340 in an hour... I don't see what the deal is"

then people explained it to him?

the problem isn't getting to 340ish... the problem is finishing all the way to 375... those last points take upwards of 4 times as long as 1-340... because your rate of point gain plummets the closer you get to the cap... and going to a raid without being capped is BAD...

go back... re-read the arguments presented before for the exact same thing you just said...then come back when you are caught up with the intelligent discussion...

/end rant
phaqueue

Postby Tankznspankz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:15 am

There are immune to everything gargoyles that dont fight back in icecrown.
These are lvl80 and you can train your weapon on them.
Too bad i aint got a pic and the beta is down :(
Tankznspankz

Postby Rothifer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:52 pm

first off, weapon skill is an understandable mechanic. broken, but i can see why blizz implemented it. should it be automatic full skill when you equip a weapon? hell no.

question. would haste help the grind? someone said earlier a rogue had an int set to lvl weapon skill. haste set could work the same.

a few ideas for a solution.
1)casters have to skill up the proficiency of their spells. if they dont, they cost more mana to cast or miss just as much as melee would.
2)Max skill in 2 hand sword. does this mean when i pick up a one hand sword i will be holding the pointy end? 2hand skill = 1 hand - 20 skill points for "finesse".
3)Possible glyphs, enchants, or gems that reduce the amount of hits required

my 2 cents that a train ran over. flawed and funny lookin
Rothifer

Previous

Return to WotLK