A well played tankadin can out live a warrior in same gear

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Zannis » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:01 am

Not an avid poster, but I have been reading maintankadin since BC launch.

Fully Prot specced, I have slightly more Spell Power than a Holy specced Paladin in my Holy gear, which is a mix of ZA/Kara/SSC/TK healing plate. The only time in recent memory that I even put the gear on was in Heroic Magisters on the third encounter as it has no aggro table, and my group thought a second healer would help.

I had about 1250 spell power, and even then, my flashes were hitting for a little over 2k non crit, 3k crit.

So 4.5k flashes, even raid buffed, is just not possible. Especially in prot gear. Holy Lights maybe. But not flashes. Try again.
Zannis

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 am

I am not calling bull, I healed myself the last 30% on prince once, one lay on hands, and a lot of praying.

Healing while tanking = not going to happen without a talent like art of war.

If we get art of war maybe we could, but actually cast healing?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:19 am

Casting a 2.5 sec heal means getting at least 2 melee hits in your face... assuming a regular lvl 70 tankadin with 4-500 spellpower, that means the heal will heal for 4kish, so as long as the boss hits for more than 2k, you are just risking to die quicker ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: A well played tankadin can out live a warrior in same ge

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:39 am

gomefun2 wrote:basically with spiritual focus, I experience almost no loss in cast time, and if there is a holy pally with its aura I dont feel any at all. I can basically build up threat and cast about 3-5 heals on myself, without losing aggro, I can do this once in a while, and my mana will fill itself back up in time so i can do it again.

I can't describe ..
what the hell!?

it's like carrying your bike instead of riding it, because cars can go faster than a bike.
Rehlachs-

Postby crabcrouton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:12 am

Art of War for Prot. You heard it here first, folks.

GO GO GO.
crabcrouton

Postby Blutreich » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 am

gomefun2 wrote:
Maihes wrote:Come on someone making their first post blatantly stating they healed last 30% cant be trolling at all....

That said Prince lasts all of what 1.5-2 minutes total?

Also you would AVOID more damage then you can heal, I would also like to know how you are gettin 4.5k FoLs...

I'm honestly not trying to troll. I just think there is perhaps a way to play a pally tank that could put us above warriors. Perhaps to abuse a mechanic that most people dont use. I block for 738 damage (unbuff). I would have to be hit about 4 times in order for healing myself with a crit flash heal to be useless. most bosses will not attack 4 times in 1.5 seconds as far as I'm aware, but I could be wrong.

so you are able to block while casting a spell?

i can picture you healing while tanking him for the last 30% as long as you only use instacasts
SoL JoL LoH healthstone/pot bubblewall
start casting heals and praying for a string of misses is a stretch
remember you lose dodge block and parry while casting

ima bet you will live much longer trying to solo price if you JoL SoL holy shield then if you start spamming flash on urself
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Candiru » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:00 am

Don't forget that against undead AoE packs, you can easily do a HolyWrath->flash of light combo every 30s. I think HolyLight is too long a cast time to get off during the stun?

You might be able to heal yourself through hyjull packs that way, altough SoL and JoL will probaby be a larger % of your healing.
Candiru

Postby kylone » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:18 am

Well, if the boss is on a 2 sec swing timer, you could time a FoL.
That is, if you're under 200ms lag.
I'm definitely not recommending it, but you could.
On the subject of the FoL critting, keepin mind that a) he has a 12% boost with Healing Light, and a 60% boost with Touched by the Light. (And the 6% boost from Improved Devotion Aura). I'm thinking those had a huge role to play in the size of the heals.
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby Katamai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:44 am

kylone wrote:Well, if the boss is on a 2 sec swing timer, you could time a FoL.
That is, if you're under 200ms lag.
I'm definitely not recommending it, but you could.
On the subject of the FoL critting, keepin mind that a) he has a 12% boost with Healing Light, and a 60% boost with Touched by the Light. (And the 6% boost from Improved Devotion Aura). I'm thinking those had a huge role to play in the size of the heals.

That spec is an abomination and if he got it at 80, what is he doing playing KZ on beta? If it is at 70, then i call BS. I'm not getting 4.5K FoL crits in my T6 healing gear when Holy specced, let alone in full SWP gear when prot speced and raid buffed. 12% more from healing light ≠ 4.5K crits in that gear. I doubt you'd be able to crit FoL for 4.5K in T9, let alone T4/5.

Oh and OP, warriors will be able to heal themselves better than we can.
30% HP from enraged regen every 3 min > 1 LoH every 20 mins in total healing... and they don't risk having their face bashed inside their skull. LoH > enraged regen as ohshit button though.
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Macha » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:11 am

Katamai wrote:Oh and OP, warriors will be able to heal themselves better than we can.
30% HP from enraged regen every 3 min > 1 LoH every 20 mins in total healing... and they don't risk having their face bashed inside their skull. LoH > enraged regen as ohshit button though.

DKs will make you cry.
Macha

Postby kylone » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:14 am

I'm just giving him the benefit of doubt.
If you could get FoL to cast normal for 2k healing---somehow, then TBtL will make it a 4k crit.
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby Targonis » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:41 am

This post belonged here in the first place:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1749

I love it when we all get together on a new post and run numbers in his face, it really is fun isn't it? :P
Targonis

Postby aureon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:43 am

AoW is in another tree and woudn't scale.
what about:
Art of Crusading
when you use your Shield of Righteousness Spell, there's a 5/10/15% chance that the next damage move used against you will heal you instead.
that would be rock. or an active talent with a ~2min cd, 10-15 sec duration giving your ShoR a 50% chance to do that. or link it to judgement, make it our 11pt-er and you got two birds with a stone.
aureon

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 am

Simply OP, let's be serious ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Equillian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:22 am

Amarant_Pally wrote:
gomefun2 wrote:spell damage fights lol...

EDIT: that being said, my healers died on prince and I healed myself for the last 30% of the fight, if i didnt heal at all we would have died... so it is probably better over all, at least in that fight it was.

Is calling "bullshit" against any forums rules?

Nope, I can call "bullshit" on you anytime I want. Including now.

I've been tanking up to ZA (beat ZulJin last night) and I say that 100%, as a paladin you need to take see that healthbar and see more then pounding Holy Shield as a means of mitigation. I non-crit holy light myself for 4000, crit for about 7500. It helps. Especially when a healer goes down at the end of the fight and my aggro is so locked I can sit down for the reset. Ya, 1-2 minutes, helping a healer, ya.

You're a paladin, if it's possible to toss yourself a heal and avoid a wipe, why wouldnt you? I have saved myself a few times.

Now, on the other side... Doing this leaves room to screw up the healers rotation. I wouldn't suggest doing this constantly, but by all means, don't pull it off the table.
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK