Remove Advertisements

OT: Advice plz.

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

OT: Advice plz.

Postby Zorminster » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:59 pm

So this is mentioned in the "whats needed to OT ZA thread" but its a significant enough point for me that i think a new thread is justified.

TheBaldGuy wrote:.........
A tad on the tricky side w/o a single target taunt but doable. I'm used to MT in my 5-man - pulled aggro a few more times than I should have. :roll:

This, more than anything, was my hardest part of OTing ZA.

"Zorm pick up those mobs"
<zorm throws shield and has two bears and a medicine man on him>
"Healing on zorm...."

When i went in i OTd for a warrior. Granted, it was super hectic because this was a last minute run put together by my co-gm had any ZA experience out of the 6 of us. And he was in a bad mood from Kara 15 minutes prior so he wasn't helping out. LoL. The MT had experience and wanted it to be a chest run. Sure, why not? Needless to say i did my best to just pick up some stuff so he didnt try to tank everything (i was unaware warriors got such a buff to their AOE tanking) and usually ended up with more than i should have had.

My biggest area of concern were the amani war bears-- my shield picked them both up and i had to stand there and do nothing to build aggro other than judge until he could yank it off of me. Im not sure if he was having trouble with the taunt [should yank one right off shouldnt it?] or if its really that hard to peel one.

How do you guys go about picking up the adds your supposed to tank since HotR and AS try to get three mobs as does our taunt?
Last edited by Zorminster on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]Image
Zorminster

Postby Conaan! » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:12 pm

dont off tank, simple

ive been asked to off tank and ive refused everytime, our abilities will pull multiple targets and keep threat on them, pull everything and make the warrior/druid pull off you
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Zorminster » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 pm

that sounds like a terrible option. No way to get geared enough to MT it without going as an OT... not that it much matters in a few days anyway.
[]Image
Zorminster

Postby econ21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 pm

I use judgement of light - avenger's shield is risky for the reason you given.

There's a risk that the main tank will keep both, I guess, but then maybe that is his problem? You can always pop wings and fire avenger's shield if you really can't pull the mob off. But usually I find a judgement at the beginning is sufficient.

Personally, I would not refuse to off tank ZA. It's not bad for a pally tank - you can do well on the gauntlet, on the dragonhawk boss's adds, on many multi-mob trash pulls, have an active role splitting the bear and lynx boss attacks, can play a big role vs the Hex Lord etc. It is a nice active role.

Unlike off tanking Kara, which can turn into snooze ville (a second tank is only needed a couple of places there).

Plus it has some really nice loot.
econ21

Postby majiben » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:37 pm

What they are saying is you need to be the MT on the trash. And the only reason why I can't solo tank ZA (and others better geared than me) is because the bear boss puts his bleed debuff on you. Though a dwarf paladin might be able to do it now that the boss can be killed before the debuff overwhelms them.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Marker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 am

sabrelash on halazzi can be bitch too. with up to 52k+ pre-armour dmg it can oneshot you, especially if you're not constantly topped up. Should be something like 19k dmg after armour if you're at 17,5 k armour approx.

And to the thread starter. You're gonna end up tanking everything but the mob the warrior can tank of you, easy as that. Or you can pull with Judgement and be quick to spread em. Be smart about which of the mobs you're gonna tank. your shield will jump 3 times and its often quite obvious how it's gonna jump if your pulling static mob groups.
Marker

Postby Padrailmli » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:15 am

here is my opinion on that i am my guilds mt so i dont havta ot for anyone lol but anyway my opinion is say f-it and just aoe the sh*t bruh if teh warrior cant get it off u oh well show him why tankadins are the best. dont worry about it if u pull alil more guys or whatever h*ll ive been double pulling cuz that stupid bounce range on my sheild and trust me if you have half decent healers u can take it just dont let your holy sheild go down and you well be fine and if u end up solo tanking trash oh well lol and some warriors cant generate sh*t for threat i was on bear boss and literally when my ot (which is a warrior lol yay for me) was tanking him i could not cast anything at all or pull aggro he was like 100-200 threat above me i cast anything i was takin him and i was letting him tank bear in troll form cuz im a dwarf and when he goes into bear form i can stone outa they first change of bleeds to let the healers have a bit of a break on mana usage but still i can generate twice the threat of my ot without realizing it lol the patch agve me a major boost to my threat considering pre-patch i was one of those pallys that was already geard like a warrior the only thing i had with spell dmg was my mace my sso rep sheild and my s2 chest but now i got the cleaver of unforgiving but yea pallys jsut have a major tps boost is all if the punny warrior cant keep up of well he might as well make a fury set cuz the pallys jsut toook over the mt slot lol
WTF are you talking about crowd control??? I thought CC meant CupCakes
Padrailmli

Postby dmok » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:39 am

Padrailmli wrote:here is my opinion on that i am my guilds mt so i dont havta ot for anyone lol but anyway my opinion is say f-it and just aoe the sh*t bruh if teh warrior cant get it off u oh well show him why tankadins are the best. dont worry about it if u pull alil more guys or whatever h*ll ive been double pulling cuz that stupid bounce range on my sheild and trust me if you have half decent healers u can take it just dont let your holy sheild go down and you well be fine and if u end up solo tanking trash oh well lol and some warriors cant generate sh*t for threat i was on bear boss and literally when my ot (which is a warrior lol yay for me) was tanking him i could not cast anything at all or pull aggro he was like 100-200 threat above me i cast anything i was takin him and i was letting him tank bear in troll form cuz im a dwarf and when he goes into bear form i can stone outa they first change of bleeds to let the healers have a bit of a break on mana usage but still i can generate twice the threat of my ot without realizing it lol the patch agve me a major boost to my threat considering pre-patch i was one of those pallys that was already geard like a warrior the only thing i had with spell dmg was my mace my sso rep sheild and my s2 chest but now i got the cleaver of unforgiving but yea pallys jsut have a major tps boost is all if the punny warrior cant keep up of well he might as well make a fury set cuz the pallys jsut toook over the mt slot lol

Allow me to introduce you to my friend -> .
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Zorminster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:27 pm

dmok wrote:
Padrailmli wrote:here is my opinion on that i am my guilds mt so i dont havta ot for anyone lol but anyway my opinion is say f-it and just aoe the sh*t bruh if teh warrior cant get it off u oh well show him why tankadins are the best. dont worry about it if u pull alil more guys or whatever h*ll ive been double pulling cuz that stupid bounce range on my sheild and trust me if you have half decent healers u can take it just dont let your holy sheild go down and you well be fine and if u end up solo tanking trash oh well lol and some warriors cant generate sh*t for threat i was on bear boss and literally when my ot (which is a warrior lol yay for me) was tanking him i could not cast anything at all or pull aggro he was like 100-200 threat above me i cast anything i was takin him and i was letting him tank bear in troll form cuz im a dwarf and when he goes into bear form i can stone outa they first change of bleeds to let the healers have a bit of a break on mana usage but still i can generate twice the threat of my ot without realizing it lol the patch agve me a major boost to my threat considering pre-patch i was one of those pallys that was already geard like a warrior the only thing i had with spell dmg was my mace my sso rep sheild and my s2 chest but now i got the cleaver of unforgiving but yea pallys jsut have a major tps boost is all if the punny warrior cant keep up of well he might as well make a fury set cuz the pallys jsut toook over the mt slot lol

Allow me to introduce you to my friend -> .

qft.

Zormin takes 50,000 damage from Wall of Text's eye bleed effect. (35,000 overkill)(Critical)
[]Image
Zorminster

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm

I have a friend called Spellcheck...sometimes we call him Spellstuck...

/owwwwwwwww
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Conaan! » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm

...wut
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Equillian » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 am

Padrailmli wrote:WALL OF TEXT

I take that as a personal attack on my eyes.

Conaan! wrote:dont off tank, simple
ive been asked to off tank and ive refused everytime, our abilities will pull multiple targets and keep threat on them, pull everything and make the warrior/druid pull off you

Conaan, you're 100% right. We don't off tank well. We get very little benifit from sanctuary and all of our abilities are geared for tanking multiples. If we pull those out of the rotation, we're a BAD warrior tank.

Your Raid Leader needs to learn.

Your response of getting the gear to tank an instance... You need the tier below an instance to tank the next one up well. Doing Kara? If you can tank a heroic, you can tank Kara. Doing ZA? Have Kara gear or maybe even some badge gear? You're totally fine.

My raid leader (who I personally think is awesome) took us all into an instance with a warrior being the offtank. Fighting 2 mobs, he marked an offtank target. Frustrated, I learned what to do.

Situations like that, just yell out "VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!" and consecrate + AS + HotR + HS and blow their F&$*ing minds! :D
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Whait » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Zorminster wrote:that sounds like a terrible option. No way to get geared enough to MT it without going as an OT... not that it much matters in a few days anyway.

this is crap. why? because ZA is not ment to gear you up its to provide side upgrades. if you are geared in kara ( designed to gear you up ) you can MT all of ZA now. pre patch having a few pieces out of SSC/TK/MH were a better option in a tank before hitting ZA clears
Whait

Postby Zoltar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 pm

I run it regularly with a warrior tank. We tend to just alternate groups in a chain pull fashion.

Ie Warrior runs up and grabs first group, DPS begin burning down that group. While they are killing that group I grab the next and DPS begin killing that group after the first group is dead while the warrior runs to pull the third group. With warriors being able to AoE tank also now this works great. We just don't stop pulling unless the healers scream for mana and we don't have the issue of pulling mobs off each other. This type of thing also keeps the runs nice and fast.
Zoltar

Postby Drugrunner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 am

In my guild we run it with 2 pallies lol

we usually alt pulling groups or we have a bit of fun and fight each other for aggro

either way we never have a prob using 2 pally tanks
Drugrunner

Next

Return to Zul'aman