Remove Advertisements

Frequently *Answered* Questions 3.0.2 & Wrath.

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Diocaska » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:34 am

Widdox wrote:Yes but I didn't show you how often it Ticks.

2.6 speed..
-------
0... 1 stack (auto-attack)
0.5... 2 stack (hotr)
2.0.. 3 stack Judgement
2.6.. 4 stack (auto-attack)
3.0.. SOV TICKS FOR 4 stack dmg
5.2.. 5 stack (auto-attack)
6.0.. SOV TICKS FOR 5 stack dmg

1.8 speed..
--------
0... 1 stack (auto-attack)
0.5.. 2 stack (hotr)
1.8.. 3 stack (auto-attack)
2.0.. 4 stack (judgement)
3.0.. SOV TICKS FOR 4 stack dmg
3.6.. 5 stack (auto-attack)
6.0.. SOV TICKS for 5 stack dmg

Virtually no difference.


Yeah, that pretty much clears it all up. Didn't consider the fact the ticks are coming at the same time.

Only additional points to make are that at 5.4 seconds you'll deal holy damage using the 1.8 wep, as the stack will've already been full. But this is in fact almost completely negligble. But yeah, think I've got the whole speed thing understood. ^^

Thank you Widdox ^^
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
User avatar
Diocaska
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:10 am

Postby PsiVen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 pm

Majiben wrote:I think it's a good idea to include that we can now block magical melee in the FAQ.


Wait, what? When did they change elemental melee to be blockable?
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 pm

PsiVen wrote:
Majiben wrote:I think it's a good idea to include that we can now block magical melee in the FAQ.


Wait, what? When did they change elemental melee to be blockable?
3.0 Go test it out on the elemental plateau.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby Dianora » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 pm

Majiben wrote:
PsiVen wrote:
Majiben wrote:I think it's a good idea to include that we can now block magical melee in the FAQ.


Wait, what? When did they change elemental melee to be blockable?
3.0 Go test it out on the elemental plateau.


Yeah, it makes tanking the Flame oh, so much easier. That and the fact that flame dies relatively quickly.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dianora
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Thalani » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Playdoh wrote:Last I checked "speaking" the word defense, phonetically, is exactly the same as speaking the word defence.

Spelling it on the other hand is an entirely different subject.


This is entirely off-topic, but Knaughty clearly shows his location as Sydney. I did a double-take at his "defence" as well until I noticed that.
Australians typically spell using English as it is used in...well...England (EN-GB).
Defense, Armor, Color, Theater...that's all American English (EN-US).

Don't be a hater. Both are equally valid spellings. If anything, those of us using the newfangled "defense" are the weirdos.

-T.
Thalani
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 am

Postby Wakeman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:45 am

Thalani wrote:Don't be a hater. Both are equally valid spellings.
-T.


Yes, no need to take my post too seriously. It was just a joke post. :P
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
User avatar
Wakeman
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 am

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 am

Here's my question again, anyone have an answer? :)

Fedaykin98 wrote:Has anyone written up a quick guide to Tankadins and professions at 80? I read elsewhere that the Engineering goggles for druids were meh, wanted to know how they are for us in WotLK, as well as Blacksmithing pieces, etc.

Thanks!
Image
User avatar
Fedaykin98
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:13 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby DanimalEQ » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:Here's my question again, anyone have an answer? :)

Fedaykin98 wrote:Has anyone written up a quick guide to Tankadins and professions at 80? I read elsewhere that the Engineering goggles for druids were meh, wanted to know how they are for us in WotLK, as well as Blacksmithing pieces, etc.

Thanks!


Thread here on WotLK professions.
Image
DanimalEQ
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 am

Postby kurros » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Q: What gems?
A: Stam > Defence > Strength Lose the spelldamage gems, if you had any. You may need more defence, especially at 80. Strength beats Agility. Defence beats Dodge.


This answer is poorly written and AFAIK somewhat incorrect.

For survivability, isn't agility better than strength? It's unlikely that a newly 80 paladin will be unhittable, strength is not really an amazing mitigation stat when some attacks are going to get through unblocked. Agility would be adding dodge and armor, and a little threat through crit. And dodge would be better than either, if you aren't hurting for threat dodge would be the red gem of choice until you are unhittable.

Why are you comparing dodge and defense when defense is yellow and dodge is red?

And while I haven't done the math myself, I suspect a red +expertise gem is going to beat a +strength gem for threat, if you are not soft capped on expertise.

Also, it might be worth pointing out that defense is usually cheaper to get on enchants than it is on gems. For example, BC bracer 12 defense vs 12 stamina bracer enchants, but on gems you could get 15 stamina vs 10 defense in a gem slot. It's usually best to get defense from enchants first, and only socket it if you still can't hit the cap.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 am

Postby majiben » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Yes agility is better for survival if you still have unblocked hits on your attack table but there is an even better option: Defense.

Defense is 80% better than agility at getting hits off the table.

As far as expertise as a threat stat for gems you would have to take into account the amount of AP already present. I fully expect expertise to over take str at some point but it's unlikely to be at entry level raids. And don't forget that the Str vs expertise fluctuate because the more of one you have, the better the other becomes.

If anyone would be willing to do a spread sheet on it I would love to take a look at (I'm looking at you Psiven).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:00 pm

DanimalEQ wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:Here's my question again, anyone have an answer? :)

Fedaykin98 wrote:Has anyone written up a quick guide to Tankadins and professions at 80? I read elsewhere that the Engineering goggles for druids were meh, wanted to know how they are for us in WotLK, as well as Blacksmithing pieces, etc.

Thanks!


Thread here on WotLK professions.


Thanks! :D
Image
User avatar
Fedaykin98
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:13 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby katraya » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:33 pm

My apologies if this was answered elsewhere, but the search function did not bring anything up.

Do we know what the reset timer is on the currently available Wrath raids? Are they 1 week or 3 days or a variety?
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Postby majiben » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:35 pm

All seen so far is of the 1 week variety.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby mandm413 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:56 pm

kurros wrote:
Q: What gems?
A: Stam > Defence > Strength Lose the spelldamage gems, if you had any. You may need more defence, especially at 80. Strength beats Agility. Defence beats Dodge.


This answer is poorly written and AFAIK somewhat incorrect.

For survivability, isn't agility better than strength? It's unlikely that a newly 80 paladin will be unhittable, strength is not really an amazing mitigation stat when some attacks are going to get through unblocked. Agility would be adding dodge and armor, and a little threat through crit. And dodge would be better than either, if you aren't hurting for threat dodge would be the red gem of choice until you are unhittable.

Why are you comparing dodge and defense when defense is yellow and dodge is red?

And while I haven't done the math myself, I suspect a red +expertise gem is going to beat a +strength gem for threat, if you are not soft capped on expertise.

Also, it might be worth pointing out that defense is usually cheaper to get on enchants than it is on gems. For example, BC bracer 12 defense vs 12 stamina bracer enchants, but on gems you could get 15 stamina vs 10 defense in a gem slot. It's usually best to get defense from enchants first, and only socket it if you still can't hit the cap.


They way I understand it also is not only do all of our abilities now scale with AP but our new shield bash skill is directly based off of our block value so the more strength we have the more block value we have the more damage/threat from that ability and our other abilities.
Image
mandm413
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:15 pm

Postby kurros » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Majiben wrote:Yes agility is better for survival if you still have unblocked hits on your attack table but there is an even better option: Defense.


My basic understanding is you want defense until 490 (or 540 @80), and after that you want stamina. Beyond that if you MUST socket a red gem, go agility, and if you MUST socket a yellow gem go defense. Using a defense gem over a dodge gem is an irrelevant comparison, because if you are ignoring the color of the red socket you can just put in a stamina gem. This is for maximum survivability, isn't that the focus of the FAQ?




mandm413 wrote:They way I understand it also is not only do all of our abilities now scale with AP but our new shield bash skill is directly based off of our block value so the more strength we have the more block value we have the more damage/threat from that ability and our other abilities.


Oh, I don't disagree, strength is a great stat because it increases our threat/damage in multiple ways and it also increase our survivability (marginally) through block value. But if you want to focus on survivability, agility or dodge would be stronger, and I suspect expertise would be stronger for pure threat.

To maximize your capability at a role it's usually best to focus on what is most important, rather than go for a "well-rounded" setup. If you are doing a progression boss where tank death is the biggest risk, you want to maximize for maximum survivability, not strength gems with some survivability + some threat. And if you are doing a progression boss where maximum tank threat is most important, you want to gem for maximum threat, through expertise, not some moderate threat increase plus moderate survivability increase of strength.*



*This is not based on any testing or number crunching, maybe expertise is worse than I think it is. I haven't seen the comparisons done either way and my natural feeling is that for an uncapped tank expertise is probably the most valuable threat stat.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?