Remove Advertisements

gearing rules at 80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Zironic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:58 am

Levantine wrote:Isn't wrath tanking gear more of a Maintain 540 defense, then go by iLvl

I think this is a good rule of thumb
Zironic

Postby gibborim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 am

Zironic wrote:
Levantine wrote:Isn't wrath tanking gear more of a Maintain 540 defense, then go by iLvl

I think this is a good rule of thumb

Because of how item budgeting works, you have to look at both the number of different stats on an item and ilvl.

This will be especially true when you consider the fact that WotLK is working on half tier intervals with 10mans and 25mans.
gibborim

Postby Håvard » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 am

Lythac wrote:You could have just looked at my list, which follows the same rules and is also 649 defense - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15098

Blarg. Oh well... at least I got familiar with the itemization during my little exercise.

One question I have is that no one's mentioning BR or BV... I take it that they are pretty low on the totem pole of desirable stats for MT's then?
Håvard

Postby Eanin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 am

Defense is nice because it increases all stats evenly, so it doesn't invoke diminishing returns quite as much as stacking dodge, for example.

That will be my basic strategy. However, I still like having 102.4, so I'll be throwing in a few blocking items where needed.
Eanin

Postby gibborim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:50 am

Håvard wrote:One question I have is that no one's mentioning BR or BV... I take it that they are pretty low on the totem pole of desirable stats for MT's then?

Additional BR once you get past the 102.4 mark w/HS is basically worthless in a single target encounter.

BV is would be nice stat, but it loses to real avoidence and stam.
gibborim

Postby daemonym » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:52 am

Håvard wrote:
Lythac wrote:You could have just looked at my list, which follows the same rules and is also 649 defense - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15098

Blarg. Oh well... at least I got familiar with the itemization during my little exercise.

One question I have is that no one's mentioning BR or BV... I take it that they are pretty low on the totem pole of desirable stats for MT's then?

i for one will be stacking strength when i can get it. our biggest strength is that we can block everythign that hits, so why not increase that and play to our strength? besides, more threat and dps is never a bad thing at all.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 am

When gearing, naturally, you want uncrittable. That requires a total of 689 defense to get you to 540.

By the time you get to 540 defense, DR is already kicking in on any rating.

At 540 defense:

Defense rating is giving you about .022 pure avoidance per point
Dodge rating is giving you about .023 pure avoidance per point
Parry rating...well, lets just say it sucks heh

Technically, you can add about 100 dodge rating and get about the same pure avoidance as you would adding 100 more defense rating if your already uncrittable.

In other words, unlike TBC, in WotLK stacking defense is your best avoidance option.

This is because defense always adds an increase in chance to block and increases your chance to be missed.

Calculating exactly what rating is better at any given gear level is currently impossible, as no one has determined whether or not DR kicks in on Miss, and, if it does, what the Miss Cap is.

So to summarize:

Stack defense till uncritable (689 rating)...
Get to 102.4 (easiest route is still Block Rating gear)
Stack stamina till EH is sufficient.

After that, defense is your best bet for further avoidance increases.

This really only applies specifically to Warrior's and Paladin's

The calculations for druids has a different result (stack Agi).
Garath.Gorefiend

Postby Håvard » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:58 am

gibborim wrote:Additional BR once you get past the 102.4 mark w/HS is basically worthless in a single target encounter.

BV is would be nice stat, but it loses to real avoidence and stam.

Thanks! Also, that raises another question I have, does anyone know how easy/realistic it will be to get back to 102.4% using level 80 gear? Ie, will it be something that is possible using pre-heroic quality gear, heroic quality gear, or will it require raid quality gear?
Håvard

Postby majiben » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:23 am

You could get it preraid but you would be gimping your stamina.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:42 am

daemonym wrote:i for one will be stacking strength when i can get it. our biggest strength is that we can block everythign that hits, so why not increase that and play to our strength? besides, more threat and dps is never a bad thing at all.

I agree, up to a point. Stuff that hits lightly enough that you can full block usually isn't worth thinking about (except for parlour tricks, soloing, and the like). Bosses and such will likely hit so hard that stacking str for BV will be the difference between 35% and 33% overhealing.

Trett and dips is always nice, yes.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
daemonym wrote:i for one will be stacking strength when i can get it. our biggest strength is that we can block everythign that hits, so why not increase that and play to our strength? besides, more threat and dps is never a bad thing at all.

I agree, up to a point. Stuff that hits lightly enough that you can full block usually isn't worth thinking about (except for parlour tricks, soloing, and the like). Bosses and such will likely hit so hard that stacking str for BV will be the difference between 35% and 33% overhealing.

Trett and dips is always nice, yes.

well it's really one and the same now basically. strength gives BV, strength is our main threat stat. even if you fully block each attack from trash, it's still worth it to stack more strength for the threat. unless it's an aoe situation where HS will be burned through quickly of course, but then we're back to the hyjal discussion, "MT" gear or more "BV/avoidence" types of gear.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby GothicPL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Obrimos wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:EDIT: Well, then again, since Str and BV may be counted as EH, you may be able to both at the same time for non-magical encounters.

Non-caster encounters. Even 'magical' encounters where you're fighting an Elemental of some kind, you can block that now :3.

I must've missed this change in the patch notes, but it's nice to have someone else confirm this. I accidentally pressed Holy Shield when tanking Vexallus the other day, and I was surprised to see (NNN Blocked) on his elemental attacks.

More power to strength/BV I guess, I was starting to lean towards str/sta hybrid gems instead of dodge/sta hybrids for red slots anyway because bosses don't hit too hard in entry level raids.
GothicPL

Postby Levantine » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Is it just me or are people underestimating how much you will be blocking in Wrath?
Levantine

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Levantine wrote:Is it just me or are people underestimating how much you will be blocking in Wrath?

I originally didn't care, but now I kind of look forward to hitting uncrushable and stacking mad amounts of block value. I mean, I guess we'll see what happens, but I think it'll be a fun selling point.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby knaughty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Levantine wrote:Is it just me or are people underestimating how much you will be blocking in Wrath?

Seem to be.

I'm running around with 1.1k BV in my balanced tanking gear at 70. I put on a silly set and hit 2.2k with everything procced (but not with raid buffs).

I'm seeing 15%-20% mitigation at 70 from block value on NErfwell raid bosses.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK