Remove Advertisements

Single Target Taunt Mechanic

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Of course, our major glyphs STILL suck, but that's not for this thread. I can't connect to the beta forums atm, but I was going to post this:

I wrote:

Have you tried those encounters in beta? They work differently from the 40-player versions. Gothik isn't an issue at all. The Four Horsemen could be an issue if you had two paladins tanking, though even in that case a warrior could taunt long enough to move the two apart and then have the paladin tank again.

In any case, I believe I said at Blizzcon that we were going to add a glyph to let Righteous Defense only work on one target (and add some secondary bonus since the single-target thing is technically a penalty).

Something tells me that if there were a post made on the Warrior forums saying "X skill is fine. Just have a Paladin use their skill, then use yours if you need to" there would be a large outcry. As for the glyph, sure. It's fine, as long as it's not taking the spot of something else that's important and it taunts the mob we're targeting. If the other tank is tanking four mobs and we have to "guess" which mob is going to come off, it's still a problem.

It has been widely believed that the quote from Blizzcon was referring out our single target Avenger's Shield glyph. I suppose I could whine a bit about glyphs (comparatively), but I'll keep my discussion in this thread to be relevant.

Why are we even still discussing this? This isn't a "it helps in some situations, but is bad in others" situation. There are no times where you would want RD when raiding. I cannot think of a single time throughout TBC encounters where I would rather have RD than a (now 20 yard) normal taunt. Can you? It's buggy, it's counterintuitive, and encounters are designed around the other tanks' taunts. For a lot of situations that it may actually be useful, BoP (now HoP) accomplishes the same goal, and works for more than three! It makes it difficult to work around other tanks, and it's not cool to give the tank that is already stigmatized as being in last place the worst (and if you don't believe it's the worst, there's little hope) taunt.

Listen, I can explain to my raid leader why I have lower health, and I can tell him why I don't have the gimmicks or avoidance a Warrior has, and I can tell him why I mitigate magic damage so poorly. Why do I have to explain why I may need a Warrior for my taunt to work right, or that sometimes my taunt just doesn't work? Why do I always have to be the one explaining?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby PsiVen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:09 pm

JoJ taunt sounds interesting, and the drawback for possibly having it on cooldown when it's needed is compensated by it having no other cooldown. I like the idea.

As I posted in that thread, the idea of a glyph that nerfs our taunt is patently ridiculous and the idea that people would ACTUALLY TAKE IT is outrageous because it's true, that's how bad our glyphs suck.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 pm

But hey, we got 1% damage to undeads!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Worldie wrote:But hey, we got 1% damage to undeads!

Is it possible that versus undeads, this glyph might actually be better than our 10% judgement glyph? I bet it might be.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Macha » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Ghostcrawler wrote:Have you tried those encounters in beta? They work differently from the 40-player versions. Gothik isn't an issue at all. The Four Horsemen could be an issue if you had two paladins tanking, though even in that case a warrior could taunt long enough to move the two apart and then have the paladin tank again.

In any case, I believe I said at Blizzcon that we were going to add a glyph to let Righteous Defense only work on one target (and add some secondary bonus since the single-target thing is technically a penalty).
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12197379738&sid=2000&pageNo=2#26

So having to have another warrior/druid/dk taunt for us does qualify as "not needlessly risky and complicated" for them. Guess you gotta suck it up.

Goshdarnit.

As I posted in that thread, the idea of a glyph that nerfs our taunt is patently ridiculous and the idea that people would ACTUALLY TAKE IT is outrageous because it's true, that's how bad our glyphs suck.

It's also a symptom of the only way we can taunt sucking. If RF was just our second taunt or something, we could live with it being unreliable, unusable in many situations, and being limited by design. But our only one?

They can't be serious. They just cannot be serious and post something like that with a straight face.

Yeah, awesome fun, I can't taunt the stupid necromancer bastard because I'm a Paladin. It's not flavor if one class can work properly and the other cannot.
Macha

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:50 pm

Macha wrote:Yeah, awesome fun, I can't taunt the stupid necromancer bastard because I'm a Paladin. It's not flavor if one class can work properly and the other cannot.

STOP YOUR QQ! Listen to GC. Just have the Warrior that you're undoubtedly carrying around (cause yaknow, they're warriors) use his baseline functioning taunt first, THEN taunt it off of him. Geez. Heck, then go ahead and let him wear your gear and spec Prot, and just let HIM tank the boss.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Sharlos » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 pm

To be fair it would work with any other tank class, not just warriors, because they all have single-target taunts...
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Sharlos wrote:To be fair it would work with any other tank class, not just warriors, because they all have single-target taunts...

Sure, but not all Druids hang out in Bear Form and I don't know enough about DKs.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Sharlos » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:53 pm

moduspwnens wrote:
Sharlos wrote:To be fair it would work with any other tank class, not just warriors, because they all have single-target taunts...

Sure, but not all Druids hang out in Bear Form and I don't know enough about DKs.

DKs have dark dommand or somesuch, doesn't cose any resources i beleive.

Still want a single target taunt tho.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Yeah that was a bullshit response and I said as much in my reply...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Previous

Return to WotLK