Vazruden/Nazan in Heroic Ramparts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Vazruden/Nazan in Heroic Ramparts

Postby Baelor » Wed May 02, 2007 10:11 am

Hellfire Ramparts, technically the 2nd boss:
Vazruden the Herald, and his mount Nazan.

How do you tank these bastards? I usually get blasted in the face by both at once when Nazan lands, and if I do manage to survive the transition, the healer is low on mana after spam-healing through both beating on me for a short while, or he combos me with fire spit, his fear, and some normal attacks. I've never tanked him successfully and I'm not sure how to.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Re: Vazruden/Nazan in Heroic Ramparts

Postby Vanifae » Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 am

Baelor wrote:Hellfire Ramparts, technically the 2nd boss:
Vazruden the Herald, and his mount Nazan.

How do you tank these bastards? I usually get blasted in the face by both at once when Nazan lands, and if I do manage to survive the transition, the healer is low on mana after spam-healing through both beating on me for a short while, or he combos me with fire spit, his fear, and some normal attacks. I've never tanked him successfully and I'm not sure how to.

Healthy amounts of FR and DPS, but yeah they suck.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 am

Be of good cheer; the patch notes say they're putting the Fire Spit and Fire Breath on a short shared cooldown so we won't be eating an instant 10,000,000 fire damage when he lands anymore.

The lame solution is chug a Greater Fire potion just before the landing; the cute solution would be to bubble and taunt him just as his feet touch the floor. I haven't tried either one of these things yet because both times I've gotten to Vaz we've had a warrior along too - I tanked the orc, warrior hit Shield Wall and picked up the dragon, and I helped heal until we had the situation stabilized.

Not the cool answer for the tankadin forum, I know. :)
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Wed May 02, 2007 11:01 am

I tanked them both.

Group was Myself, Holy Paladin healing... and random insert here DPS. I wore a modest amount of Fire Resist, and tanked him pretty well till probably the last 5%, I died and Holy Paladin and DPS finished the dragon off.

Fire Resist goes a long way in that fight.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am

I keep meaning to try this but never have - how far back can you pull the orc? Could you take him way back towards Omor's platform, so you have time to get him down before Vazruden can reach you?
Arcand

Postby Nikolaos » Wed May 02, 2007 12:08 pm

Only killed him the once with a holy paladin as he generally bugs before then, main thing is getting orc down fast enough if my experience with healthy amounts of FR not much more you can do really.
Nikolaos

Postby Livyan » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Bring three ranged DPS, tank the ugly orc, and pray to whatever gods there is that your ranged DPS can bring the dragon down before he lands.
Alternatively, RD dragon-shape from the DPS-shape that holds aggro when he lands, pop a Nightmare Seed, and pray that your DPS can nuke the dragon before he does two burst-combos.
Oor.. You can tank orc, tank both on landing, die after tanking both for about 15% of the dragon's health, DPS kills dragon (from 2% or so HP) and your healer can tank the orc... Only works with a Paladin healer. =p (This method is not suggested, I suggest method one..) =P
Livyan

Postby Baelor » Sat May 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Livyan wrote:Bring three ranged DPS, tank the ugly orc, and pray to whatever gods there is that your ranged DPS can bring the dragon down before he lands.
Alternatively, RD dragon-shape from the DPS-shape that holds aggro when he lands, pop a Nightmare Seed, and pray that your DPS can nuke the dragon before he does two burst-combos.
Oor.. You can tank orc, tank both on landing, die after tanking both for about 15% of the dragon's health, DPS kills dragon (from 2% or so HP) and your healer can tank the orc... Only works with a Paladin healer. =p (This method is not suggested, I suggest method one..) =P

The "kill the dragon while flying" method seems like it'd be good - has anyone had success with it?

I don't have FR gear and have no plans on getting FR tanking gear - I consider myself a raid off-tank, a friend is a prot warrior and my guild's main tank. I'll let him handle the resistance fights.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby veig » Sun May 06, 2007 1:05 am

i may try that ranged stuff, assuming i can tank up to him, rope my lock friend into it and just have him ranged tank nazan with fat nether protection procs.
veig

Postby janusproject » Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 am

From what I've always been told, once either of them hit a certain point in their health (I believe it was 60% but I could be wrong) the dragon lands so usually you get your ranged dps to beat on the dragon in the air until that point and then they all concentrate on the orc while the tank runs off to the dragon.

I haven't actually tanked this one yet, still working up my tankadin but I do play a ranged dps type and that's the strategy we used to great success.
janusproject

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics